posted to rec.boats.paddle.touring,ott.rec.canoe-kayak,rec.boats.paddle

Default Heavy anchor for canoe?

On 8 Nov 2006 09:21:35 -0800, "donquijote1954"
wrote:

BTW, do not abandon your boat. It drives the first responders crazy.
Thanks.

And a swamped boat without any sort of lights or flags can be a danger
to other craft.

I know but I may have seashore no more than a mile away and likely to
be a block away and swimming is always a good option before rescue.

Not generally recommended, but it's your life. You might want to take
a look and thought at what kind of shore and what you'll have to hike
/ wade through once you get to the shore before you find civilization,
too. If you're on the Inter Coastal Waterway, there should be
traffic along to help you out fairly soon, as opposed to swimming and
then hiking or wading.
--

r.bc: vixen
Speaker to squirrels, willow watcher, etc..

http://www.visi.com/~cyli
posted to rec.boats.paddle.touring,ott.rec.canoe-kayak,rec.boats.paddle

Default How about this anchor?

donquijote1954 wrote:
In 4 lbs? Is this the same as Danforth?

Yes.
posted to rec.boats.paddle.touring,ott.rec.canoe-kayak,rec.boats.paddle

Cyli wrote:

Wind or tide or current
should keep a canoe pointed / placed in one direction for quite a
while with just one anchor.

Until the wind/tide changes. If a river has a steady current, you'd be fine.
Boats routinely anchor with two anchors to prevent drift. You can have one off
each end or two in a V at one end. Perfectly safe unless you use 20' of rode at
low tide in a 40' tide zone. And never anchor beam on to the surf :-)

Mike
posted to rec.boats.paddle.touring,ott.rec.canoe-kayak,rec.boats.paddle

On Thu, 09 Nov 2006 01:26:29 -0500, Michael Daly
wrote:

Cyli wrote:

Wind or tide or current
should keep a canoe pointed / placed in one direction for quite a
while with just one anchor.

Until the wind/tide changes.

That's why I said 'for some time.' Nothing, particularly tide and
wind, lasts forever in the same direction.

If a river has a steady current, you'd be fine.
Boats routinely anchor with two anchors to prevent drift. You can have one off
each end or two in a V at one end. Perfectly safe unless you use 20' of rode at
low tide in a 40' tide zone. And never anchor beam on to the surf :-)

Me for the two in a vee at one end. But then I have mostly been a
river camper.

I know people have done the short rope / higher tide thing, though
it's hard to imagine that they managed to get to a place where they
could anchor without understanding about tide, but after what I've
seen on the river not understanding (and not willing to understand,
when one tries to explain) about current and wind, I have to believe
it.

Walt wrote:
donquijote1954 wrote:
In 4 lbs? Is this the same as Danforth?

http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catal...=SearchResults

Yes, that is a Danforth anchor. You don't need a big one for a canoe.

//Walt

Good. I wonder though if this, which sells on requiring 70% less rope,
is worth the price difference...

http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catal...=SearchResults

Having 30' rather than 100' makes sense. Is there something to have the
rope neat and untangled?

wrote:

BTW, do not abandon your boat. It drives the first responders crazy.
Thanks.

And a swamped boat without any sort of lights or flags can be a danger
to other craft.

Not much: It's a 14' plastic canoe. I can leave something on though.
Gee, I need a flag! Something with a clamp.

I know but I may have seashore no more than a mile away and likely to
be a block away and swimming is always a good option before rescue.

Not generally recommended, but it's your life. You might want to take
a look and thought at what kind of shore and what you'll have to hike
/ wade through once you get to the shore before you find civilization,
too. If you're on the Inter Coastal Waterway, there should be
traffic along to help you out fairly soon, as opposed to swimming and
then hiking or wading.

The "civilization" is right the the mansions of the Rich and Famous.
Unless they receive me a rifle and/or dogs.

donquijote1954 wrote:

Good. I wonder though if this, which sells on requiring 70% less rope,
is worth the price difference...

http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catal...=SearchResults

I've never seen one of those in action, but I'd be skeptical. As a rule
of thumb you want about a 7:1 scope for an anchor. This much scope
ensures that the pull on the anchor is always horizontal, never
vertical. A danforth anchor is designed to hold with a horizontal pull,
but come free with a vertical pull - that's how you un-anchor yourself
when it's time to get going again.

This thing claims to hold with up to a 45 degree pull. Seems to me that
if this is actually true (as I say, I'm skeptical) it might make it hard
to retrieve.

Having 30' rather than 100' makes sense. Is there something to have the
rope neat and untangled?

Yes. Learn to coil lines. And don't buy cheap-ass lines that hockle
and tie themselves in knots.

BTW, you should probably have a throw line that's 100' long and floats.
I'd invest in this long before spending money on an anchor.

//Walt
posted to rec.boats.paddle.touring,ott.rec.canoe-kayak,rec.boats.paddle

I'd be careful trying to swim very far off and ocean shore. I was
surprized once while swimming in the surf how far the undertow(?)
carried me away. I had to swim hard to get back to the beach. Dumb
tourist.

I'm a freshwater boater myself but I've read that a boat rising and
falling on ocean swells can drag it's anchor if the line is too short.
When a storm hit our exposed moorings at a local freshwater sailing
club a lot of boats dragged their moorings and those were large
concrete blocks.

Wm Watt wrote:
I'd be careful trying to swim very far off and ocean shore. I was
surprized once while swimming in the surf how far the undertow(?)
carried me away. I had to swim hard to get back to the beach. Dumb
tourist.

I'm a freshwater boater myself but I've read that a boat rising and
falling on ocean swells can drag it's anchor if the line is too short.
When a storm hit our exposed moorings at a local freshwater sailing
club a lot of boats dragged their moorings and those were large
concrete blocks.

I've got a sit-on-top which would have all the flotation I need and I
just need to jump back on, but the canoe, though it floats when
swamped, I guess I would'n care to bail out.

The canoe I only use in the Intracoastal, of course.

posted to rec.boats.paddle.touring,ott.rec.canoe-kayak,rec.boats.paddle

Attach some ethafoam flotation to the insides of the canoe along the sides
in the middle (gluing it works). That makes it pretty stable when it's
flooded. After you turn it upright and climb in, you can splash out a lot
of the water with your paddle and paddle that boat into shore (you can still
paddle a swamped boat). No need to leave it.

--Bob G.

"donquijote1954" wrote in message
oups.com...
Howdy!

I'm considering a heavy anchor (perhaps 6.5 lbs or heavier) such that
if --for example-- my partner gets tired in heavy wind I can have the
canoe stay put while she rests. Or if I must abandon the flooded canoe
and swim, I can come back and retrieve it at the same spot the next
day.

What do I need?

Thanks!