posted to rec.boats.paddle.touring

Default Christmas Paddle Trips?

A buddy and I are talking about paddling somewhere warm for Christmas.
He has only one week available. We would probably both fly rather than
drive, especially since we live 1000 miles apart.

So far I have considered the Baja, the Everglades, and Big Bend. What
else should I consider? Cost is a consideration.

Baja - probably go with a guided trip, since we do not know the area, I
have not paddled a kayak in 10 years, and never a sea kayak. However,
most of the guided trips seem to be 8 or 10 days, and that will not work
for him.

Everglades - I have spent a couple of weeks sailing in Florida Bay, so I
know what to expect, at least to some degree. We would probably take a
canoe.

Rio Grande in Big Bend National Park - rapids could be a concern, since
my buddy is not a white water canoeist, but I figure that we could
portage anything that looked troublesome. But a one boat whitewater
trip is probably not a good idea.

Ideas?

Richard

--
http://www.fergusonsculpture.com
Sculptures in copper and other metals
posted to rec.boats.paddle.touring

On Feb 18, 1:00 am, Richard Ferguson
wrote:
[...]

The Lower Canyons in Big Bend would be an excellent winter one-boat
trip. You can put in at Maravillas Creek and take out at Dryden
Crossing. There are only two or three rapids in that stretch that
would require scouting for a class 2 canoist, and they have clearly
indicated and easily found portage trails if you choose (specifically,
you'd probably portage Upper and Lower Madison and Hot Springs on a
first-run solo trip). The rest are just set-up-and-run class 1s and
easy 2s. The park service prints a guide book that will keep you out
of trouble.

Check out Far Flung's websits on this trip:
http://tinyurl.com/2jxlka

ABout 95% of the trip looks like the picture.

--riverman

posted to rec.boats.paddle.touring

ABout 95% of the trip looks like the picture.

http://tinyurl.com/2jxlka

The picture I'm referring to is on the 'itinerary' link at the bottom
of that page.

--riverman