Default Suzuki DF4 vs. DF6

I'm not certain what I'm talking about her would qualify as
"cruising," maybe "slow cruising" but here's my query.

We have a 14' open aluminum boat that weighs about 195 lbs. (the same
style one sees for rowboat rentals at lots of marinas) and we never
have a total payload (passengers and gear) that exceeds about 480
lbs.

Most of our boating is putting around the lake about 3-5 mph
(depending on how much Sunny Delight I've guzzled before starting to
row -- lol), sometimes just dropping anchor and relaxing for a book
read or a quick nap.

So, the point here is that I'm getting tired of rowing and am looking
for a small outboard that'll shove that 14 footer around the lake at
trolling speed. No need to plane, just putting along about like we
did when I was rowing.

I understand that Suzuki 4-stroke outboards have a good reputation and
am trying to decide between the DF4 or the DF6. They both have the
exact same displacement motor and I would like to go with the 4HP
(less money) if it would do the job.

Remember now, we're talking about the first notch above rowing speed,
nothing more! Maybe I could even fit the DF4 with a propeller with
more of a low-end torque pitch?

So it's just between the two motors---the DF4 or the DF6? Anyone had
experience with either or both of those two specific motors and can
offer some insight as to the better of the two for our very limited
purpose? Thanx.

-Jay

On Sat, 5 Apr 2008 00:16:39 -0700 (PDT), Jay
wrote:

[...]

One of the most common outboards on cruising yachts are 2 HP engines.
A 4 HP will push you boar at walking speed quire easily.

Bruce-in-Bangkok
(correct email address for reply)

wrote:

[...]

A good high thrust outboard suitable for displacement hulls would do.
Too bad the British Seagull people went out of business.
I have a 14.5' open aluminum boat with a 25hp Johnson, but will carry my 54
year old 40 Plus as a kicker. (3hp)

On Sat, 5 Apr 2008 11:14:23 -0300, "Don White"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

[...]

I hate to sound like an old man (even if I am) but in my younger days
a 5 H.P. motor was considered a "fishing boat" motor. A fishing boat
being a well built (i.e., heavy) wooden 14 - 16 foot boat. Now 'a days
it seems to take at least 50 H.P to push he same boat -- maybe the
horses are getting smaller?

Bruce-in-Bangkok
(correct email address for reply)

"Bruce in Bangkok" wrote in message
I hate to sound like an old man (even if I am) but in my younger days

a 5 H.P. motor was considered a "fishing boat" motor. A fishing boat
being a well built (i.e., heavy) wooden 14 - 16 foot boat. Now 'a days
it seems to take at least 50 H.P to push he same boat -- maybe the
horses are getting smaller?

In your younger days motors ran on steam!

Wilbur Hubbard

On Apr 5, 7:14*am, "Don White" wrote:

A good high thrust outboard suitable for displacement hulls would do.

Ahhh, ya really think so? Remember now I want to achieve a top
speed of about 5-6 miles per hour in that 195 lb. boat with a 480 lb.
payload and you think a good high thrust outboard could handle that?

On Apr 5, 8:09*am, Gordon wrote:
* Go electric!
* G

I have a 30 lb. thrust Minn-Kota we used on a dinghy we once had
but didn't think that would even budge the 14' aluminum boat. What
thrust rating would you think it would take in an electric to achieve
the same speed/power as the 4HP Suzuki DF4M?

On Apr 5, 7:20*pm, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:
"Bruce in Bangkok" wrote in messagenews:lhcgv3tmnc4on4g66bq3hhkhts27m6qgsn@4ax .com...

I hate to sound like an old man (even if I am) but in my younger days

a 5 H.P. motor was considered a "fishing boat" motor. A fishing boat
being a well built (i.e., heavy) wooden 14 - 16 foot boat. Now 'a days
it seems to take at least 50 H.P to push he same boat -- maybe the
horses are getting smaller?

In your younger days motors ran on steam!

Wilbur Hubbard

Bruce, was Wilbur being unkind to you? Actually, the horses
aren't getting smaller, it's just that the hardwiring in the brains of
some today can only produce one thought---there is no substitute for
having the biggest one in the group. Although they're talking about
their boat motors, we all know the basis for that psychological
affliction of only the biggest is the best. LOLOL But all we wanna
do is putt-putt-putt around the nice quiet, placid lake and soak up
some rays...no water skiing, no planing, no drag racing, no attempts
to cross the Pacific via Hawaii...just putt, putt, putt, putt, putt,
putt....................................so ya think the DF4 will do
that huh?

-Jay

Jay

"Jay" wrote in message
On Apr 5, 8:09 am, Gordon wrote:
Go electric!

I have a 30 lb. thrust Minn-Kota we used on a dinghy we once had
but didn't think that would even budge the 14' aluminum boat. What
thrust rating would you think it would take in an electric to achieve
the same speed/power as the 4HP Suzuki DF4M?

My 2004 Princecraft Yukon (14.5' open aluminum boat) came with an electric
trolling motor.. and from what I've seen it's only good for creeping along
as long as you're in protected calm water with no wind. I use it to take me
from the launch ramp to a nearby dock and back again when it's time to
retrieve.
I think oars would do just as good a job and be more reliable.

Suzuki DF4 vs. DF6 Jay[_3_] General 4 May 8th 08 05:58 PM
Suzuki 2hp Tell Tale Johnny General 5 October 24th 06 02:12 AM
200 hp Suzuki Mike Loran General 0 April 27th 04 04:47 AM
150 HP Suzuki Steven General 0 April 14th 04 09:26 PM
FS: Suzuki 15 HP 4-stroke in NC Ken Coit Marketplace 0 August 2nd 03 03:18 PM