Default The follow of keeping a boat at a dock

Tsunami damage . . .

http://www.ktvu.com/slideshow/news/27162990/detail.html

I say these dock rats asked for it. Real sailors are out sailing or moored
in an uncluttered area.

Wilbur Hubbard

In article s.com,
llid says...

Tsunami damage . . .

http://www.ktvu.com/slideshow/news/27162990/detail.html

I say these dock rats asked for it. Real sailors are out sailing or moored
in an uncluttered area.

If you were at all familiar with the coastline around Santa Cruz, you
would know that there are no uncluttered moorings nearby. Other than
the boat basin, there is not really any sheltered moorage. The
shoreline in that area is pretty exposed to the Pacific swells and
safe anchorages for small craft are very rare.

There was also a lot of damage in boat basins in Crescent City CA
and Brookings OR. In those places, many of the fishermen got
their boats out before the waves hit. Pleasure boaters
were less likely to get out, as these areas are not popular
boating areas in the winter and many of the boats were probably
closed up for the winter. Pleasure boating along a rugged
coastline with 30 knot winds and 10ft combined seas isn't
a popular activity!

Mark Borgerson

Mark Borgerson wrote:
[...]

I dunno about your "pleasure" boaters, but other than the 10 foot seas,
(depends entirely on period) sounds like a fun sail.

--

Richard Lamb
email me:

In article ,
says...

Mark Borgerson wrote:
[...]

It could be---if you didn't have to worry about the breaking seas over
the bar at the harbor entrance... ;-) A 10-foot combined sea is
usually about 7 feet of long-period swell and 3 feet of wind waves.
When the two are moving in different directions, it can get sloppy.
The water slopping into the cockpit is about 50 degrees F, as is
the air temperature.

Here's the coastal marine forecast for Southern Oregon:

Today
S wind 20 to 25 kt...easing to 15 to 20 kt with gusts to 25 kt
especially near shore in the afternoon. Wind waves 5 ft. W swell 14 ft
at 12 seconds. Showers.
Tonight
S wind 20 to 25 kt with gusts to 30 kt... rising to 30 to 35 kt with
gusts to 40 kt after midnight. Combined seas 16 ft dominant period 13
seconds. Rain likely.
Sun
S wind 35 to 45 kt with gusts up to 60 kt. Combined seas 22 ft dominant
period 12 seconds. Rain.

If those sound like a fun sailing trip, you can probably get a used
boat cheap in Brookings. After yesterday's tsunami, a place to moor
it may be a problem for several months---although the pleasure craft
part of the harbor was less damaged than the commercial docks.

Better get your weekend sail in today, though. Combined seas go up
to 22 feet tomorrow!

Mark Borgerson wrote:
In article ,
says...
Mark Borgerson wrote:
[...]

What would you do?

Grab a boat and run with it?

--

Richard Lamb
email me:
web site:
http://www.home.earthlink.net/~cavelamb

Bob Bob is offline

On Mar 12, 2:13*pm, Mark Borgerson wrote:
In article ,
says...

Mark Borgerson wrote:
In article s.com,
[...]

to 22 *feet tomorrow!- Hide quoted text -

Welcome to my world.... this is why I have a Freya.......and why many
of my post regarding safety equipment, boat system choices and sailing
philosophy sound wacked to most yall warm water guys. On the west
coast sailing norht of the 38 line youll find the great PNW Its not
for the meek nor ill prepared.

Oh and the summer isnt much better.... typical summer sailing is 12-30
K gust to 50K seas 6-15 feet with 2-5 wind wave, water temp about
52-55 F.although sometime youll get a warm summer current 20-200 miles
off. Ummm that means albacore tuna

Keep those little thin skinned fin keels at home boys
This is the land of the Ingrid, Westsail, Alajuela, Cape George

Bob

On Mar 11, 2:47*pm, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:
Tsunami damage . . .

http://www.ktvu.com/slideshow/news/27162990/detail.html

I say these dock rats asked for it. Real sailors are out sailing or moored
in an uncluttered area.

Wilbur Hubbard

I agree completely. I have many similar pictures of what hurricane Ike
did to Marina Landings
in Galveston. I left my Coranado 25 to go to Dallas not expecting the
direct hit that we got. If I had
expected it, I would have anchored out in the Bayou. Still I made
preparation for a storm surge
which saved my boat while the ones around me got smashed, sunk or
deposited upland.
I backed my boat out of the slip and laid a spread of two anchors
astern. I had seventy yards of clearance.
Then I tied off two differing length dock lines from the bow to the
dock pilings. Plus I dropped a pig of balled up chain astern.
(this may be why my engine got dunked)

My engine got dunked and I had to use my oars to reposition her when I
got back but she was unharmed.

Here's what I learned and photographed.

1.) Dont trust dock pilings.

You can never tell their integrity. Just because you can't move it
doesn't mean a boat can't.

2.) Dont trust risers

These things pop off like toys.

3.) Dont trust docklines

If the slip isn't sized right, you simply cannot tie them off
effectively due to the surge.
They'll chaffe and break or hold your boat down while the surge sinks
her.

4.) Don't underestimate storm surge

Pilings that were generally taller that boats in good times went thru
the bottoms
of the hulls and sank them after the surge hit.

5.) Don't trust others to tie their boats safely.

Many of the boats had too tight of dock lines. Either the lines broke
or the cleats got pulled out or the risers got pulled off.
In all cases where the dock lines were too tight something bad
happend. The dockline that didn't somehow come loose
sank many boats. I have pictures of all this. Almost all these boats
were too big for the slips they were in.

My friend anchored his 32' Allmand out in the bayou and she never got
a scratch. I was horrified when he described his
anchoring technique against only one direction but it worked this
time.

A sailboat is best suited to a mooring or a set of anchors. She will
be in harmony with the universe as she lines up with and does not
resist wind or current. Not to mention, it's less likely some other
boat will smash into her. I suppose this goes for motorboats too. But
as
I think of it, I can't remember any motoryachts at all that didn't go
down in the marina. Maybe 15 sailboats survived.

Marina Landings never opened again.

wrote:
[...]

goedown in the marina. Maybe 15 sailboats survived.

Marina Landings never opened again.

====================[reply]====================

Hi Greg. It's nice to hear you're still alive and kicking and still have
your fine Coronado 25 and take good care of her. We Coronado owners are sure
proud of our worthy vessels and rightly so.

You must have been pretty close to the area where Joe was. I think Joe
bought one of those old, storm damaged, derelict motorboats to restore.

As usual, your opinions are worth their weight in gold as you are a real and
practical sailor who takes pride in what he does. This is as it should be.
Would that there were more of us. Your valid points about the dangers of
pilings and the dock environment in general should be taken to heart by all
sailors who value their boats and those of their neighbors but, as usual,
there are a lot of ignorant people at docks who don't even prepare for a
storm. These are the people who don't even go to the dock and prepare and
when asked say, "Oh, that's what insurance is for," and, in the meantime,
their ill-prepared and inadequately tied up boats wreck others in the
process. For that reason alone smart sailors will seek the shelter of the
bayou and little rivers. I've ridden out a few hurricanes aboard up the
Little Shark River in the Everglades. No damage and the worst that happened
was the boat was covered with shredded vegetation that stained but bleach
took care of it. This happened in the core of one of the hurricanes. That
locomotive noise is real but I'd liken it more to a roar of a jet plane.
Sort of a deep rumble and a scream at the same time. Tall mangrove trees
were snapping off about thirty or forty feet above the water. The water rose
a full ten feet and the little creek we were in was gone. The water was
flowing sideways at about three knots. The boat was tied spider-webbed to
stout tree trunks all around. I slept through a couple hours of the storm
just because it got old after a while.

As for an outboard engine getting dunked that's easily avoided. Remove it
and stow it below in the accommodation. It's not going to be worth a lick in
a storm anyway.

Wilbur Hubbard aka Capt. Neal

wrote:

[...]

Hello Neal, I figured that was you. I sold my Coronado 25 as I have
moved back to Dallas
for work. She was a great first boat. She took very good care of me
while I was learning.
I could tell you a couple of stories which would no doubt draw your
ire. Ha! But at least
I never do the same stupid thing twice.

You know, a lot of people who don't know what they are talking about
criticize the Coronado 25.
Sure, you can get them cheap. But they are solid as a rock. In the
seven years I sailed her,
I have never seen anyone but me actually heave to. My boat could heave
to under main sail alone.
Many times I took her out and lay hove to for hours. She could hold
her ground better than I could
handle her. I loved to do that. Whatever my next boat is, I will
insist that she heave to like that.

In Texas we don't have mooring fields like Florida and the east coast
but a few boats are anchored
out permanently. Around here boaters are mindless jerks generally.
They have no regard for their
wakes or what they do. Once I was anchored in Clear Lake, out in the
middle away from everyone.
I went below to fix a glass of iced tea when I heard a loud crash on
my port side. I ran up on
deck to see an idiot on a jetski who had just run into me. He had the
whole rest of the lake but found
a way to wind up out in the middle to run into me. Didn't hurt my boat
but I have a feeling he would
have broken thru some foam core construction. The guy just had a
stupid zombie look and said, "sorry".
I have no patience for idiots.

I have some hurricane pics you can use if you want. I don't have a
website setup though. Send me an
email address if you want and I'll send them to you.

Thanks again for all your great guidamce and advise my friend.

Rrespectfully,
Greg Jaynes

wrote:

[...]

Hi Greg.
Welcome home!
I'm on Texoma - about 2 hours north of you.
Come up and visit some day?

--

Richard Lamb