Robert or Karen Swarts

Default Paint-on foam?

The deckhead in my boat is fiberglass and condenses water readily. I would
like to clad it in a thin layer of foam to prevent this, to add a modicum of
insulation, and to assist with sound deadening. Does anyone know of a
paint-on foam product that could be used to create a more or less uniform
layer about 1/8" thick?

Bob Swarts

William R. Watt

If you look in the Yellow Pages you can find a wholesaler of foam in most
large urban areas. I've seen 1/8 or 1/4 inch sheet foam. They sell it in
kits to glue onto the inside of toilette reservoirs to prevent
condensation forming on the outside. I imagine you can paint any sheet
foam with water-based latex house paint. The wholesaler would know.

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm
Terry Spragg

William R. Watt wrote:

If you look in the Yellow Pages you can find a wholesaler of foam in most
large urban areas. I've seen 1/8 or 1/4 inch sheet foam. They sell it in
kits to glue onto the inside of toilette reservoirs to prevent
condensation forming on the outside. I imagine you can paint any sheet
foam with water-based latex house paint. The wholesaler would know.

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm

Similar sheet foam is used to insulate hot water tanks. Contact
cement, a layer of geotex or other fabric and paint or wallpaper
should look ok.

How about shag carpet scraps patchwork;-?

Terry K

Garland Gray II

If aesthetics are important, Defender used to carry a closed cell foam 1/10
inch thick that looks pretty good. No t sure if it's in the latest catalog,
but their supplier was Hough (or something)Marine in Washington State
For contact cement I'd use water base from 3M. Can't remember the
name/number.
Costs 3 times as much as what you'd get from the hardware store, but goes
twice as far, and the fumes won't get you. Regular contact cement can soften
some foams