posted to alt.sailing.asa

Default Tracing a pattern?

I'm putting in a bulkhead in a gutted power boat. I'm looking for info
on how to trace the curved surface of the hull vertically with the
chines etc so I get a close fit with the bulkhead material. If anyone
know any tips tricks or tutorials please let me know. Thanks
posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Uncle Bob" wrote in message
I'm putting in a bulkhead in a gutted power boat. I'm looking for info
on how to trace the curved surface of the hull vertically with the
chines etc so I get a close fit with the bulkhead material. If anyone
know any tips tricks or tutorials please let me know. Thanks

Use cardboard. Make yourself a very large compass (not the direction finding
kind but the kind that has a needle point on one side and a pencil on the
other)

Set up the cardboard far enough away from the sides of the boat you wish to
trace and use the compass to scribe a line on the cardboard by following the
sides of the hull chines and all.

Wilbur Hubbard

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Bob Bob is offline

On Jan 7, 10:36*am, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:
"Uncle Bob" wrote in message

I'm putting in a bulkhead in a gutted power boat. I'm looking for info
on how to trace the curved surface of the hull vertically with the
chines etc so I get a close fit with the bulkhead material. If anyone
know any tips tricks or tutorials please let me know. Thanks

Use cardboard. Make yourself a very large compass (not the direction finding
kind but the kind that has a needle point on one side and a pencil on the
other)

Set up the cardboard far enough away from the sides of the boat you wish to
trace and use the compass to scribe a line on the cardboard by following the
sides of the hull chines and all.

Wilbur Hubbard

Wilbur, This process is called "spilling" or at least it is on the
west coast boat yards.
Bob

posted to alt.sailing.asa

wrote:

"Uncle Bob" wrote in message

I'm putting in a bulkhead in a gutted power boat. I'm looking for info
on how to trace the curved surface of the hull vertically with the
chines etc so I get a close fit with the bulkhead material. If anyone
know any tips tricks or tutorials please let me know. Thanks

Use cardboard. Make yourself a very large compass (not the direction finding
kind but the kind that has a needle point on one side and a pencil on the
other)

Set up the cardboard far enough away from the sides of the boat you wish to
trace and use the compass to scribe a line on the cardboard by following the
sides of the hull chines and all.

Wilbur Hubbard

Wilbur, This process is called "spilling" or at least it is on the
west coast boat yards.
Bob

I did a Google search for this and could not find anything about it.

posted to alt.sailing.asa

wrote:

"Uncle Bob" wrote in message

[...]

That is because the spelling is wrong. Try 'spiling'. Only one 'l'

posted to alt.sailing.asa

wrote:
"Uncle Bob" wrote in message

I'm putting in a bulkhead in a gutted power boat. I'm looking for info
on how to trace the curved surface of the hull vertically with the
chines etc so I get a close fit with the bulkhead material. If anyone
know any tips tricks or tutorials please let me know. Thanks

Use cardboard. Make yourself a very large compass (not the direction
finding
kind but the kind that has a needle point on one side and a pencil on the
other)

Set up the cardboard far enough away from the sides of the boat you wish
trace and use the compass to scribe a line on the cardboard by following
the
sides of the hull chines and all.

Wilbur Hubbard

| Wilbur, This process is called "spilling" or at least it is on the
| west coast boat yards.
| Bob

I added a partial (about half the beam) bulkhead to my fine bluewater
cruiser and that is the way I figured out how to fit it to the shape of the
interior where I put the bulkhead. The finish carpenters used this method
but on a smaller scale with store-bought compasses to fit teak trim in the
Irwin's when I worked there. I just scaled their method up. It worked great.
My custom bulkhead fits like it came from the factory that way. Never heard
the term "spilling."

Wilbur Hubbard

Tracing a pattern? Uncle Bob General 5 April 11th 09 10:46 PM
An emerging pattern at Chucks place Jim General 105 July 11th 08 04:10 AM
A Whois client for anyone interested in tracing the trolls polluting s.e.d Steve Leyland ASA 7 May 11th 07 03:33 AM
uggggguh, pattern making. Any tips for the frustrated? ray lunder Boat Building 5 October 6th 06 08:59 PM