posted to rec.boats.paddle.touring

Default Stolen Two Carbon/Graphite Solo Canoes

Stolen Saturday, June 16, 2007 from the Linesville campground at
Pymatuning PA (NW Pennsylvania near Ohio border)

Bell Magic - BlackGold carbon fiber layup
Ohio registration number: OH2467B
Hull Identification number: DOH10951C404
Distinctive markings: The hull has an area of slight resin starvation
and filler under the end caps (see photos below)
Photos:
http://sports.webshots.com/album/554...mzJsbT?start=0

Wenonah Prism - Black graphite ultralight layup
Ohio Registration number: OH8275A
Hull Identification Number: MFPRK613H304
Distinctive markings - The thwarts are custom made walnut, similar to
the thwarts Bell uses. Contour seat, foot brace, yellow/orange
painters.
Photo:
http://image57.webshots.com/757/0/36...tcuts/FullSize

The thieves may move to sell these boats as both are valuable and
distinctively high-end. If anyone sees a black carbon Magic or black
graphite Prism for sale, or in the hands of a dirtbag tweeeker
lowlifescumbagmotherf...uh, unscrupulous character please contact Mike
McCrea and I will contact the boats owners.

Photo:http://image57.webshots.com/757/0/36...908znPuUS_ph.j...

The thieves may move to sell these boats as both are valuable and
distinctively high-end. If anyone sees a black carbon Magic or black
graphite Prism for sale, or in the hands of a dirtbag tweeeker
lowlifescumbagmotherf...uh, unscrupulous character please contact Mike
McCrea and I will contact the boats owners.

One note: if the thieves remove the hull ID the number may be
engraved in a secret place on the boat. On my wenonah encounter I
found it when I dissasembled the gunwhales for re-finishing. It is
engraved on the underneath of the rear thwart. Contact Bell to see if
they do somthing similar. I hope that helps but am not optomistic.
Whoever stole them boats showed up with a plan to transport them and
probly have a plan as what to do with them as well.

How were they stolen? Were they left unattended and for how long?
Maybe we can learn from this tragedy and take steps to avoid any more
boats coming up stolen.

I am sorry for the loss. Every state has it's own canoe registration
or lack of. It will be easy for the jerks to register the canoes or
to sell them in state which requires none. States do not cooperate
with each other with regard to canoe registration like they do cars.
They could probly use the actual hull ID and register it in another
state. Otherwise they will remove the hull ID, which is usually
rivited to the hull. Then they can register it anywhere probly. In
any case they can likely sell it without worry for the registration
since no one seems to take canoe registration very seriously except
the tax collectors.

Minnesota is very particular with watercraft registration, or so I
thought. They want to make sure they collect any sales tax, that's
the thing. But I heard that if you go in and say it was free or
homemade and has no or hull ID the the State goes ahead and gives you
a tag anyway. So, in MN at least, canoe registration is a one way
street which benefits the State and no one else. They make you put
that ugly flourescent sticker on your boat and for what? So they can
enforce the money making apparatus. I am so angry I am ready to shove
a bent-shaft paddle up that thieves butt.

posted to rec.boats.paddle.touring

the second link won't work for me the first one is ok

Stolen Two Carbon/Graphite Solo Canoes [email protected] General 0 June 20th 07 12:07 PM
Whitewater Canoes - Buyers guide Richard Ferguson General 1 November 13th 06 06:18 PM
Stolen Sailboats in the USA Capt. Rob ASA 4 January 31st 06 12:43 AM
Solo canoes Collingwood Ont. Touring 1 September 10th 03 02:50 AM
News article: Indian Tribe Gets Into Canoes MikeSoja Touring 0 August 29th 03 01:45 PM