posted to rec.boats.paddle.touring

Default wax or 303?

This is an old question, I think. While paddling in the Adirondacks a
couple of days ago, I ran into another solo paddler mid-lake and stopped
to chat. We were both paddling glass boats (mine an Impex Assateague,
his a Current Designs Solstice). He asked if I waxed mine, and I said
no, but I have wiped it down with 303 to protect it from UV. He said
303 is no good for fiberglass and that I should buy a wax with teflon.
(I forget the brand.)

Any comments?

Dan Koretz wrote:
He said
303 is no good for fiberglass and that I should buy a wax with teflon.

Use 303 on the deck fittings (anything plastic) and don't worry about the
fiberglass. Gel coat _is_ a UV protectant. Over a long period of time the gel
coat will show signs of oxidation. That's when you use a polishing compound
made for fiberglass to remove the oxidation layer. These polishing compounds
usually include a wax - 3M makes several that are good and can be found at any
marine supply shop.

Mike