Default Query: Trim Gauge on 99 Larson I/O

My recently bought 99 Larson LXi 186 has a trim gauge that does not
move at all but is stuck fully up. The trim controls seem to work just
fine but as a new boater I would like to be able to use the gauge.

Any ideas on what I should be looking for to make the gauge work?

Any ideas on how to fix would be much appreciated!

Also my speedo only works at higher speeds, needle just sits there
until the speed is over 20 mph.

"Inno" wrote in message
ups.com...
My recently bought 99 Larson LXi 186 has a trim gauge that does not
move at all but is stuck fully up. The trim controls seem to work just
fine but as a new boater I would like to be able to use the gauge.

Any ideas on what I should be looking for to make the gauge work?

Any ideas on how to fix would be much appreciated!

From what I understand there is a sending unit in the outdrive that
sometimes goes bad and can easily be replaced. JamesGang, Trainfan or Clams
may want to confirm this.

Also my speedo only works at higher speeds, needle just sits there
until the speed is over 20 mph.

Not unusual. You may want to blow out the line from the speedo to the pitot
tube attached to your lower transom just to make sure it is not obstructed.

Merc?

There is a sending unit in the side of the outdrive. Where the outdrive
pivots up and down. One side is the sending unit, the other side is the
trim limit switch. Both commonly have those wires break off and/or get
corroded.

"Inno" wrote in message
ups.com...
My recently bought 99 Larson LXi 186 has a trim gauge that does not
move at all but is stuck fully up. The trim controls seem to work just
fine but as a new boater I would like to be able to use the gauge.

Any ideas on what I should be looking for to make the gauge work?

Any ideas on how to fix would be much appreciated!

Also my speedo only works at higher speeds, needle just sits there
until the speed is over 20 mph.

"James" wrote in message
ink.net...
Merc?

There is a sending unit in the side of the outdrive. Where the outdrive
pivots up and down. One side is the sending unit, the other side is the
trim limit switch. Both commonly have those wires break off and/or get
corroded.

And, they are also difficult to fix. Might be better to learn to trim by
"ear" anyway because different conditions and loads require different trim
settings. With practice the OP will learn to recognize the "sweet spot".
Try slowly trimming out for maximum engine RPM without adjusting the
throttle.

Eisboch

This is a 4.3 Volvo Penta by the way, 190 hp.

This is my first boat with trim adjustment. I have been trying to
maximize speed according to the speedo w/o adjusting the throttle. So
you are saying ignore speedo and try to get the rpm up?

Can anyone explain in simple terms what the theory is behind trim
adjustment. I start off with the engine all the way down, right? Then
when I get onto a plane I raise it a bit? How much to raise it is the
mystery for me! Conditions on our small lake are usually fairly calm,
load is usually about 2 or 3 adults = 400 pounds.

Many thanks for all responses!

Eisboch wrote:
"James" wrote in message
ink.net...
Merc?

There is a sending unit in the side of the outdrive. Where the outdrive
pivots up and down. One side is the sending unit, the other side is the
trim limit switch. Both commonly have those wires break off and/or get
corroded.

And, they are also difficult to fix. Might be better to learn to trim by
"ear" anyway because different conditions and loads require different trim
settings. With practice the OP will learn to recognize the "sweet spot".
Try slowly trimming out for maximum engine RPM without adjusting the
throttle.

Eisboch

JimH wrote:
"Inno" wrote in message
ups.com...
My recently bought 99 Larson LXi 186 has a trim gauge that does not
move at all but is stuck fully up. The trim controls seem to work just
fine but as a new boater I would like to be able to use the gauge.

Any ideas on what I should be looking for to make the gauge work?

Any ideas on how to fix would be much appreciated!

From what I understand there is a sending unit in the outdrive that
sometimes goes bad and can easily be replaced. JamesGang, Trainfan or Clams
may want to confirm this.

Also my speedo only works at higher speeds, needle just sits there
until the speed is over 20 mph.

Not unusual. You may want to blow out the line from the speedo to the pitot
tube attached to your lower transom just to make sure it is not obstructed.

I can get an air pig to the boat. So there is hollow line from the
speedo to the pitot tube that needs blowing out? I detach at the
speedo gauge and blow from there? Don't want to wreck anything!

"Inno" wrote in message
oups.com...

This is a 4.3 Volvo Penta by the way, 190 hp.

This is my first boat with trim adjustment. I have been trying to
maximize speed according to the speedo w/o adjusting the throttle. So
you are saying ignore speedo and try to get the rpm up?

Can anyone explain in simple terms what the theory is behind trim
adjustment. I start off with the engine all the way down, right? Then
when I get onto a plane I raise it a bit? How much to raise it is the
mystery for me! Conditions on our small lake are usually fairly calm,
load is usually about 2 or 3 adults = 400 pounds.

Many thanks for all responses!

You have described the basic process. Get the boat up on plane and then
leave the throttle alone. Start trimming the leg out in small steps while
watching the tach (and where you are going!). You are trying to maximize
the engine RPM for that throttle setting with the trim. If you go too far,
you'll know it by hearing the prop start to lose bite and the engine will
start to race. After some practice, you'll be able to do it by ear.

Eisboch

"Inno" wrote in message
oups.com...

I can get an air pig to the boat. So there is hollow line from the
speedo to the pitot tube that needs blowing out? I detach at the
speedo gauge and blow from there? Don't want to wreck anything!

The tubing is not designed for high pressure. I would not use an air pig.
The pitot tube opening may be clogged up. It is a somewhat calibrated size,
so you don't want to change it's size or shape by forcing a drill or
something through it. Carefully clean the hole using a fine, flexible wire,

Eisboch

I would still fix the trim gauge if it were mine. I like to know where my
outdrive is. I lower it slightly if I see some chop ahead. For maximum
ujoint life I believe it is recomended that you stay inside the inner set of
marks during extended crusing. Not sure when they went to ss wire as I
could have sworn mine was copper wire when I fixed it. The wire on mine had
corroded and broken off. It's been a few years but my recollection is that
I was able to disassemble and repair it. I know I didn't buy a replacement.
They can be a bit of a chore to replace because the wire goes through the
transom plate and the sending unit comes with new wire on it. The
connections to the wiring harness are inside the boat.

oups.com...

Eisboch wrote:
"James" wrote in message
ink.net...
Merc?

There is a sending unit in the side of the outdrive. Where the
outdrive
pivots up and down. One side is the sending unit, the other side is
the
trim limit switch. Both commonly have those wires break off and/or get
corroded.

And, they are also difficult to fix. Might be better to learn to trim by
"ear" anyway because different conditions and loads require different
trim
settings. With practice the OP will learn to recognize the "sweet spot".
Try slowly trimming out for maximum engine RPM without adjusting the
throttle.

Eisboch

"James" wrote in message
news
I would still fix the trim gauge if it were mine. I like to know where my
outdrive is. I lower it slightly if I see some chop ahead. For maximum
ujoint life I believe it is recomended that you stay inside the inner set
of marks during extended crusing. Not sure when they went to ss wire as I
could have sworn mine was copper wire when I fixed it. The wire on mine
had corroded and broken off. It's been a few years but my recollection is
that I was able to disassemble and repair it. I know I didn't buy a
replacement. They can be a bit of a chore to replace because the wire goes
through the transom plate and the sending unit comes with new wire on it.
The connections to the wiring harness are inside the boat.

I agree with you ... if you can fix it. I don't know about the Volvo
outdrive or even the newer Mercs, but the one I had on an old Alpha was not
easy to fix. That was a scary boat at first. The trim cylinder lines
leaked and I didn't know it. I'd trim them out once on plane and they would
slowly loose pressure and the leg would come back in due to the prop thrust,
resulting in heavy duty bow steer at higher speeds. Fortunately, JiminFL
who was JiminMA at the time came to the rescue and fixed it.

Eisboch

Trim Woes [email protected] General 2 July 2nd 06 09:20 PM
Larson All American Model 166-Bumper trim cracked Brennum General 0 July 4th 05 06:59 AM
Trim sender help YazFan General 5 May 11th 04 12:58 AM
query about adding a fixed trim plate richg99 Boat Building 3 September 25th 03 09:03 PM
Help with Johnson 110 Trim tilt gauge Harv General 1 September 16th 03 04:38 AM