Rob

Default Sail conversion to a furler

I am getting a new roller furling for my boat- Catalina 30. Right now
I have a hank-on headsail. My current 150 Genoa is in decent shape so
I am planning on converting it over to a furling set-up (with luff
tape and UV cover). My question is- how difficult is it to add the
luff tape and UV material to my existing sail? Is this something I
can do on a sewing machine or should I have it done by a sailmaker?

Many thanks- Rob
Jeff Richards

A 150% genoa won't make a good furling headsail unless you re-cut it with a
higher clew. The excess material at the base causes the foot to roll in
more than the upper areas, creating a tight foot and baggy leach that can't
be properly compensated by adjusting the sheeting position.
--
Jeff Richards

om...