Default Suzuki DF4 vs. DF6 (or maybe another choice, the Tohatsu MFS4BS).

Marty wrote:
the motor is still inboard of a line parallel to the
keel and projected aft from the widest beam.

I have a Penobscot 16. It's fast but it's narrow with a rounded
bottom and primary stability isn't its strong point.

PhantMan wrote:
I have a Penobscot 16. It's fast but it's narrow with a rounded
bottom and primary stability isn't its strong point.

Martin Baxter
Which is a good reason not to try to put too much horsepower on the
thing, the average paddler is unlikely to be able to exert more about
one eighth of a horsepower, put 16 times that on your canoe and you can
understand the need for prudence.

I completely agreee. That's why I'm thinkin' 30lb - 50lb trolling
motor. I'm only curious about how my canoe would handle the weight of
an outboard, not the horsepower. No question that even 1hp would be
more than enough.
How stable is your canoe? Wide beam? Flat bottom? Mine has neither.

Rick

On Thu, 17 Apr 2008 19:53:57 -0400, Marty wrote:

A small motor on a 2 x 4
lashed to the gunwales at the stern doesn't have too bad of an affect on
an empty canoe, the motor is still inboard of a line parallel to the
keel and projected aft from the widest beam.

The family Grumman canoe has a square stern, handy for mounting the
rudder for sailing, as well as the 1/2, 1, or 3 HP outboard motors.

Casady

saltydog wrote:
An electric motor weighs about 20+ pounds, and requires at least 1 60 pound
battery to operate.

I can use the battery weight low and forward for trim when I'm solo..

That gives you two hours of operation before you need to
start looking for an electrical outlet.

That'll work. That's two fewer hours of paddling than I'd be doing
without it.

My 3.5 hp outboard with a "neutral/forward" transmission weighs 29 pounds.

That weight is impressive. But isn't that a two stroke? I'm thinkin'
the new o/b's (4 stroke) would be more than that.
But my main attraction to electric is silence. Even more quiet than a
paddle. That matters in a dead silent swamp when you're sneakin' up on
wildlife with a camera. Or sneakin' up on fish for that matter. I see
your point though. And for the purpose of pushing the boat without the
other considerations, it does make more sense.

Rick

On Apr 18, 5:02*pm, wrote:
saltydog wrote:
My 3.5 hp outboard with a "neutral/forward" transmission weighs 29 pounds..

That weight is impressive. But isn't that a two stroke? I'm thinkin'
the new o/b's (4 stroke) would be more than that.
Rick

Rick, you are correct in regards to the Tohatsu/Nissan line.
The Tohatsu/Nissan 3.5 hp 2-strokes weigh 29 lbs.
The Tohatsu/Nissan 3.5 hp 4-strokes weigh 41 lbs.
-Jay

Default Suzuki DF4 vs. DF6 (or maybe another choice, the TohatsuMFS4BS)--the Tohatsu 4HP Makes The Final Cut.

On Apr 17, 6:13*am, Martin Baxter wrote:

Jay wrote: So before I pick up that telephone and order in the next day or two,

any last minute observations, criticisms, etc. on what I hope to be
our final choice so we can quit agonizing over this outboard thing and
get out on the lake where we belong. *Thanx again. -Jay

+++The Tohatsu 4HP 4-Stroke

http://www.tohatsu.com/outboards/4_4st.html

+++Our G3 Guide V14 yacht

Jay, I'm sure the Tohatsu will move you V14 along at 5 or 6 knots, it won't get up and plane, you won't be doing *any water skiing. *Compared to the Briggs, it'll be quiet. *It will be very easy on gas, I think it's a good choice. *FWIW, I have a canoe, 12ft aluminum punt, 14 and 15 ft runabouts, Evenrude 2Hp, Merc. 2.2., Scott-At****er 5.5, Evenrude 6, Johnson 8, Johnson 60, Merc 140 I/O, so I do have some experience.
Cheers
Marty

Marty, I talked to the dealer again regarding the price on the
Tohatsu MFS4 (4hp/4-stroke) and he agreed to a delivered price of $900
for the outboard motor AND the 3.1 gallon auxiliary fuel tank
including all necessary hoses and connectors. It was between the 4hp
Tohatsu for $833 + $67 delivered for the tank/connectors and the 2.5hp
Suzuki 4-stroke for $600 delivered but I opted for the extra oomph of
the 4hp Tohatsu and the 7-hour run time with the auxiliary tank. I
figure it'll be $300 more well spent in the long run.

Jay

Jay wrote:
Suzuki 4-stroke for $600 delivered but I opted for the extra oomph of
the 4hp Tohatsu and the 7-hour run time with the auxiliary tank. I
figure it'll be $300 more well spent in the long run.

Good, let us know how it works out.

Cheers
Marty

On Apr 22, 6:31*am, Martin Baxter wrote:
Good, let us know how it works out.
Cheers
Marty

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Well, Marty, it didn't work out. After the dealer cordially and in
a very friendly tone agreed to the $900 price I stated earlier for all
the equipment stated, he (Dave Rees of Dave Rees Marine aka Northeast
Outboards in New York) decided that the deal was too "involved" as he
put it and backpedaled right out the back door.

He apparently began to think it was too "involved" when I sent an
email outlining all the details we had mutually agreed to on the
telephone and asked him to simply reply and confirm that I had all
aspects of the deal correct. This apparently caused the cold
realization of what he had promised to trigger a rapidly-advancing
case of seller's remorse and he did the 180 on us. Needless to say,
the link to Northeast Outboards and Dave Rees Marine has been removed
from my desktop and favorites.

But the story doesn't end there. The other choice I had pondered,
the Suzuki 2.5 hp then reappeared and I contacted a very helpful and
friendly Ray Jr. at The Boat Place in Florida (thanx Charles) and my
$600 check for that motor delivered to my house is "in the mail" as
the expression goes. BTW, Ray Jr. didn't have any problem with
replying to the same type of email confirming the details of the
purchase. Hmmmmm. Guess there are still some dealers left who aren't
all blow and no show.

Now I know that the Soozooky probably won't push us around the lake
any more than a fast walk but hey, every dealer in this area wants a
grand for it and the NADA used book on the 2007 is about what I'm
paying for the 2008 new so I shouldn't have any problem recouping my
money by selling it locally if it doesn't work out.

And of course we haven't missed much boating fun by these little
delays since the daily temps have been in the high 30's and even a
fast-walk speed can put a wind chill factor on you that could take
away from the pleasure of motoring across the lake. (The ice floes
might present a problem too---lol).

-Jay

Suzuki DF4 vs. DF6 Jay[_3_] General 4 May 8th 08 05:58 PM
Suzuki 2hp Tell Tale Johnny General 5 October 24th 06 02:12 AM
200 hp Suzuki Mike Loran General 0 April 27th 04 04:47 AM
150 HP Suzuki Steven General 0 April 14th 04 09:26 PM
FS: Suzuki 15 HP 4-stroke in NC Ken Coit Marketplace 0 August 2nd 03 03:18 PM