Default The Suzuki 2.5 hp makes the final cut...but what about TWO of them, in tandem or even FOUR??

On Sun, 27 Apr 2008 02:34:59 -0700 (PDT), Jay
wrote:

On Apr 26, 3:47*pm, Marty wrote: You go a bit
faster, maybe 25%, (which jibes with other posters statements), and
use twice the gas, but have four times the fun trying to keep the
thing going straight! :-)
Cheers, Marty

Now THAT sounds like a formula for an afternoon of fun boating!
But as far as keeping it going straight, wouldn't an outrigger setup
with yet two more 2.5 hp throbbers mounted one on each side like jet
engines hanging off the wing of an airplane make it "steady as she
goes?" I guess if one is gonna go to all that trouble, a better
thought might be just one 9.8 hp hanging on the tail.

But I bet the other setup would get a lot of attention and perhaps
even earn one the title of "coolest boater dude on the lake" or
"nutcase boater of the year."

-Jay

Depending on the observer the two terms may very will be synonymous.

Bruce-in-Bangkok
(correct email address for reply)

Default The Suzuki 2.5 hp makes the final cut...but what about TWO of them, in tandem?

On Sun, 27 Apr 2008 06:05:50 -0400, "Roger Long"
wrote:

"Bruce in Bangkok" wrote

I believe it is called empirical learning. I've seen half models
carved a hundred years ago that wouldn't bring any shame on a "modern"
designer.

Also called on the job training. I taught myself the rudiments of sailboat
design as a senior thesis project in the private high school I went to and
then designed a boat for a friend that summer. When I decided to take a
year off after my first trimester of college, those plans were good enough
to get me a job with Philip L. Rhodes in New York. A couple years later I
went to work for a commercial boat design firm. I'd been on the job about
two weeks when the boss came out and said, "We need a 55 foot offshore
lobster boat, here, you do it.". About 20 years later I realized, "Oh ,
****, I forgot to go back to college!".

Used to be called an apprenticeship. I don't believe that Donald McKay
ever went to collage either.

Bruce-in-Bangkok
(correct email address for reply)

Default Suzuki DF4 vs. DF6

On Apr 15, 10:54 am, Martin Baxter wrote:

I'll bet that mostoutboardmanufactures measure output of just the
head, no shaft, no water pump.

Cheers
Marty

No, outboard power for all manufacturers has been measured at the
propshaft since the mid-1980s.

%mod%

Default The Suzuki DF2.5 HP Has Arrived!

At last, the 2.5 hp Suzuki 4-stroker I ordered from friendly Ray Jr.
at the Boat Place in Naples, Florida has arrived!

Today, on a sunny afternoon, I mounted that baby on the back of my 14'
6" aluminum yacht dfrom G3, put 10-30w marine 4-cycle oil in it and
about a pint of super unleaded, set it in neutral, stuck the shaft in
a 5-gallon bucket of water, gave only 2 tugs on the rope and putt-putt-
putt I was in business.

Pretty quiet motor too. And, when I shifted into forward at idle
speed, it really started churning the water in that bucket so have a
feeling it'll drive me around those lakes at the breakneck speed of at
least 4-5 mph.

I am now the official owner of my first outboard motor...seeya oars,
no more sore shoulders after a day at the lake...it's KICK-BACK-TIME!

-Jay

On Wed, 14 May 2008 22:56:27 -0700 (PDT), Jay
wrote:

At last, the 2.5 hp Suzuki 4-stroker I ordered from friendly Ray Jr.
at the Boat Place in Naples, Florida has arrived!

Today, on a sunny afternoon, I mounted that baby on the back of my 14'
6" aluminum yacht dfrom G3, put 10-30w marine 4-cycle oil in it and
about a pint of super unleaded, set it in neutral, stuck the shaft in
a 5-gallon bucket of water, gave only 2 tugs on the rope and putt-putt-
putt I was in business.

Pretty quiet motor too. And, when I shifted into forward at idle
speed, it really started churning the water in that bucket so have a
feeling it'll drive me around those lakes at the breakneck speed of at
least 4-5 mph.

I am now the official owner of my first outboard motor...seeya oars,
no more sore shoulders after a day at the lake...it's KICK-BACK-TIME!

-Jay

'till you run out of gas......

Bruce-in-Bangkok

On May 15, 3:42*am, wrote:

You should always carry the oars along. Someday you wuill be very glad you did. Does your engine's manual specify super unleaded? If not, you really should

stick to regular. Super burns "cooler"

Oh, I also have the oars along in brand new oarlocks I also
bought. In regards to the fuel, I just happened to have a fresh
gallon jug of super unleaded sitting in the garage that I used. I'll
probably just run regular unleaded in it from now on. I'm gonna try
and take it to the lake this weekend and should have a full report
next week.

-Jay

(Who still can't believe he got a brand new 2008 Suzuki DF2.5 for $600
delivered to his door when all the local area dealers wanted $1000 for
the exact same motor. SHEESH...)

On Wed, 14 May 08, Jay wrote:
stuck the shaft in
a 5-gallon bucket of water,

For a motor that small, maybe that's deep enough. I dunno. Just be
sure the water level in the bucket is higher than the water pump
impeller. You want the "impeller" under water... I've run into people
who think all they need is to have the prop in the water. Not so. Most
outboard water pumps are not good at sucking water up from a lower
level. Even slightly lower.

Rick

On May 15, 8:33*am, wrote:
On Wed, 14 May 08, Jay *wrote:
stuck the shaft in
a 5-gallon bucket of water,

For a motor that small, maybe that's deep enough. I dunno. Just be
sure the water level in the bucket is higher than the water pump
impeller. You want the "impeller" under water... I've run into people
who think all they need is to have the prop in the water. Not so. Most
outboard water pumps are not good at sucking water up from a lower
level. Even slightly lower.

Rick

Rick,
I'll check on that but we had the shaft pretty submerged. Tomorrow
I'll measure how far up the shaft the water was and let you know.
Thanks for the heads-up.
-Jay

On May 16, 3:34*am, wrote:

As long as you got a stream of water out of the pee-hole, you have no worries
about how deep of a bucket you used.

So that's what those two little tiny adjacent holes higher up on
the shaft are called? There was a stream of water coming out of
them. Why is water coming out there? If you guessed I'm an outboard
newbie, you guessed right.
-Jay

On May 16, 6:34*am, wrote:
On Fri, 16 May 2008 04:53:24 -0700 (PDT), Jay

wrote:

On May 16, 3:34*am, wrote: As long as you got a stream
of water out of the pee-hole, you have no worries about how deep of a
bucket you used.

So that's what those two little tiny adjacent holes higher up on
the shaft are called? *There was a stream of water coming out of them.
*Why is water coming out there? *If you guessed I'm an outboard
newbie, you guessed right.
-Jay

The pee-hole, also called the "tell-tale" is a single hole or little rubber tube sticking out on the underside of the engine cover. It should always ALWAYS have a steady stream of water coming out of it from within about one second of when you start the engine and whenever it is running at any RPM. If not, immediately shut down and investigate. I think you had better put everything on hold and go read your owners manual very carefully before you break something.

Actually, the two tiny adjacent holes I spoke about that are 19"
above the center of the prop and about 4.5": below the motor are
apparently the so-called "pee holes" and/or "tell-tale" holes on that
particular model (DF2.5) of Suzuki outboard. And yes, as I stated
before, water is squirting out of those during test operation in the
water bucket. And from what I've surmised, this ejection of water
through those two little holes indicates that the water pump is
functioning correctly and if it weren't, then, since it's a water-
cooled motor, serious overheating and/or damage could occur. Am I
right on these points?

Now don't be jealous because I have TWO pee holes on my outboard
and you only have ONE on yours. LOL.
-Jay

Suzuki DF4 vs. DF6 Jay[_3_] General 4 May 8th 08 05:58 PM
Suzuki 2hp Tell Tale Johnny General 5 October 24th 06 02:12 AM
200 hp Suzuki Mike Loran General 0 April 27th 04 04:47 AM
150 HP Suzuki Steven General 0 April 14th 04 09:26 PM
FS: Suzuki 15 HP 4-stroke in NC Ken Coit Marketplace 0 August 2nd 03 03:18 PM