posted to rec.boats.electronics

Default Handheld aboard dinghy

We sail Long Island Sound and nearby coastal waters. Our sailboat has
a permanent VHF radio, but we do not have an FCC license. Can we
legally use a handheld VHF aboard our inflatible dinghy, to talk back
and forth to our boat or others? If so, what should we use for a
callsign or boat name for the dinghy? The dinghy has a state
registration but no official "name".

posted to rec.boats.electronics
Leonard

A Marine VHF License is no longer required by US Citizens in US waters.
On the minus side, A Marine VHF can not be used on land unless you are
in a business that provides a service to boaters.

posted to rec.boats.electronics
Larry

"Leonard" wrote in news:1133107418.196625.3130
@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com:

A Marine VHF can not be used on land unless you are
in a business that provides a service to boaters.

Er, ah, that's not exactly right, either. To use ANY marine VHF radio,
walkie or not, on land requires a "Marine Utility Station License"
requested on Form 605. As you can see from the text right off the FCC's
website below, you don't qualify...

"MAY I USE MY HAND-HELD MARINE VHF RADIO ON LAND?

You must have a special license, called a marine utility station license,
to operate a hand-held marine radio from land -- a ship station license
IS NOT sufficient. You may apply for this license by filing FCC Form 601
with the FCC. To be eligible for a marine utility station license, you
must generally provide some sort of service to ships or have control over
a bridge or waterway. Additionally, you must show a need to communicate
using hand-held portable equipment from both a ship and from coast
locations. Each unit must be capable of operation while being hand-
carried by an individual. The station operates under the rules applicable
to ship stations when the unit is aboard a ship, and under the rules
applicable to private coast stations when the unit is on land."

http://wireless.fcc.gov/marine/

Using your walkie from the DOCK or from anywhere ashore to call anyone is
illegal, even though thousands do it all the time. FCC has no time for
nitpicking and are way undermanned after all the budget cuts. Unless
someone reports you, and is willing to testify against you in Federal
court, your chances of prosecution are near zero....in reality. The CG
will cuss you out if they hear you telling someone you're on the dock.
I've heard that.

One of our local bigshot boat dealers was using a bunch of Marine VHF
walkies at a local boatshow. He doesn't qualify, no matter how big his
company is, as he's not a bridgetender or waterway controller. When I
pointed this fact out to the bigshot in the suit in the boatshow parking
lot, he told me to go to hell in so many words and that he didn't require
a license. He ****ed me off and I popped open my cell to call FCC's info
line. (It was Friday, they're open on Friday..(c I asked the nice man
in the Enforcement Bureau to explain it to him and handed my cellphone
over to him. FCC guy was unimpressed with his company standing in the
yacht sales community and told him to take all the walkies off the air,
immediately. Channel 72 wasn't his company's private business band
channel, after all. After he stomped off, I gave FCC his name and
address so they could communicate the rules to him further. Scratch
another boat dealer that's not going to give me a great deal on a new
yacht...(c;

I think the rules are stupid on the dock. But, alas, if they didn't have
them, you'd hear Dad calling Mom on the boat from the office like a
telephone.

posted to rec.boats.electronics
Dave M

We used to have a boat named "Serendipity", and the call sign for our dinghy
was "Little Dippity".

"Larry" wrote in message
Bruce in Alaska wrote in news:bruceg-
:

Mothervessel

They used to get a great kick out of the boat name on my jetboat....

"Tess Tickles II"

One of my doctor friends used to call me from his Hatteras:

"Two Testicles, this is Ivy B, ovah...."

Your dingy doesn't HAVE to have the same name as your boat on the air....

posted to rec.boats.electronics
Bruce in Alaska

In article ,
Larry wrote:

I think the rules are stupid on the dock. But, alas, if they didn't have
them, you'd hear Dad calling Mom on the boat from the office like a
telephone.

These rules are not US FCC only rules, they are by International
Convention, and setup under ITU Regulations of which the USA is
signitory. If you can't use a cellphone you can buy your own Business
System and get a License for that.

Bruce in alaska
--
add a 2 before @
posted to rec.boats.electronics

Thanks for the answers! Can we just make up a name for our dinghy as a
callsign and change it anytime we want to? Our sailboat is documented,
so it has an "official" name, but the dinghy just has the registration
numbers painted on it.

Waterproof handheld VHF suggestions? Mika the Spamkiller Electronics 6 November 28th 05 01:50 AM
Grand Banks Aleutian 70, (observations aboard) [email protected] General 10 November 19th 05 03:40 AM
The Best Dinghy! Capt. Rob ASA 1 November 11th 05 03:49 AM
Observations made aboard a TomCat 255 [email protected] General 2 October 25th 05 01:01 AM
Stowing Dinghy on Pacific Seacraft 34 db9 Cruising 13 October 14th 05 06:18 PM