Gould 0738

Default Harry's lobster boat?

Since my largest fan is commenting yet again just how much she enjoys a boat
review, I'd thought I'd share this partiocular item with the group.

Could this be the elusive lobsta boat from MD? Its the right length, and came
to market just about the time Harry began mentioning a new boat. I'll be
meeting with Mark Bruckmann in about a month when he comes to Seattle, it might
be fun to inquire about owners of the earliest hull #'s.

Should anybody be interested in photos, please let me know and I'll send a zip
file.

Confidence

New England lobstermen are among the saltiest folks afloat. These rugged Yankee
individualists epitomize the caricatures of bright eyed, bearded seamen,
cloaked in dripping yellow foulies, standing a dark and windy watch with
raindrops sizzling off a hot pipe bowl. They work a coastline infamous for
"perfect" storms, setting out year 'round in a region where few pleasure
cruisers would consider going boating at all during the fall or winter months.
Through several generations, common design themes have become predominate among
the boats they build to go a-lobstering. Few of the New England lobster boats
would be considered "large" by modern standards; most are between 25-35 feet
LOA. The boats are intended to be sturdy, seaworthy, work platforms for hauling
and emptying lobster pots. They routinely return to port each evening with a
relatively high dollar per pound (but low cubic volume) catch after a long and
often challenging day on the water. Lobstermen demand a vessel that will
withstand eccentric winter weather on the Atlantic Coast. Born and bred to an
occupation typically pursued by their fathers, (and generations of grandfathers
as well), lobstermen have well found confidence in their savvy seamanship. A
lobsterman will not settle for a boat that does not behave confidently as well.

Lobster style pleasure craft are becoming increasing popular well beyond their
traditional homeports in Maine, New Hampshire, and Massachusetts. The
straightforward superstructures, flat and accessible foredecks, and roomy
cockpits adapt very easily to weekend and vacation cruising needs. Among the
many "lobster boats" debuting in the Northwest is the Blue Star 36.6. The Blue
Star is built near Toronto by Bruckmann Yacht and represented in the Pacific
Northwest by International Marine Management at Chandler's Cove in Seattle.

Erich Bruckmann was one of three founding partners of C&C yachts in the early
1960's.
Throughout the 60's, 70's, and 80's, Erich was head of C&C's Custom Yacht
division, producing over two hundred high caliber custom cruising and racing
yachts. Erich's son, Mark, worked closely with his father and Mark is the
Bruckmann behind Bruckmann Yachts today. Many of the key craftspeople formerly
associated with C&C Custom Yachts are collaborating with Mark to produce a
group of high quality power and sailing vessels under the Bruckmann trademark.

The Blue Star 36.6 was designed by Mark Ellis, of Mark Ellis Design Ltd. in
Oakville, Ontario. She has an LOA of 36'6", an ample beam of 13'2", and draws
32". Displacement is listed at 18,000 pounds. Her lines are a seamless amalgam
of classic New England lobster boat and "retro" express cruiser. A long,
uninterrupted sheer follows a splendid, subtle curve from a slightly reversed
flat transom to a raked stem with more than adequate flare for busting through
NW chop. A low profile trunkcabin top is surrounded by a wide sidedeck, and is
trimmed with a row of horizontal stainless portlights and a flush overhead
hatch. Above the sheer line, the forward portion of the Blue Star 36.6 seems to
incorporate design elements borrowed (with notable success) from a cruising
sailboat. A stylish hardtop caps the bridgedeck and extends over the cockpit
slightly beyond the aft bulkhead.

Over thirty Blue Stars have been delivered to East Coat buyers in the last 18
months, with six or more of these boats the 36.6 and the remainder the smaller
29.9. The boat that International Marine Management has brought to Seattle is
the first Blue Star ever delivered to the West Coast, and has a significant
design modification to accommodate our relatively cooler weather. The East
Coast Blue Stars have a removable canvas enclosure between the bridgedeck and
the cockpit, while the boat at International Marine Management has been fit
with a solid bulkhead.

The Blue Star 36.6 incorporates enough exterior woodwork to lend a traditional,
nautical flare, but stops well short of slathering on any quantity of teak that
could become seriously time consuming to maintain. Bruckmann has surrounded the
foredeck with a stout, vertical toe rail, and the sturdy, stainless, stanchions
that support the 1 ¼" welded deck rail are solidly affixed to the toe rail, not
the deck. Boaters who have invested the time and money required to dig out soft
material under stanchions bolted directly to a cored deck will appreciate the
thoughtful adaptation. Blue Star may be a new trademark, but it is obvious that
Bruckmann is applying 40 years of custom yacht experience to the myriad details
that can make a significant difference in long term customer satisfaction.

The cockpit area will easily seat eight. Jaunty blue cushions with red piping
slide into lockers accessed through the aft bulkhead. Stowage abounds under the
cross transom seat, and the space below the portside cockpit seat is employed
as a propane locker. A teak cap follows the cockpit gunwale, and is fit with
heavy-duty stainless hawse ports that allow mooring lines to be bent to cleats
discreetly placed in the cockpit rather than stubbing toes and snagging
shirtsleeves on the rail.

The bridgedeck is two steps up from the cockpit, to create enough vertical
clearance for the engines below. The aft bulkhead windows are a "integrated"
installation, with the fiberglass laid up beyond the edge of the window to
protect the frame from the elements.
This would seem to be a "zero maintenance" approach to window framing, assuming
that there is a reasonable method for removing a pane in the event of breakage.
The aft bulkhead door is teak, and fitted with a large window. The bulkhead
door is in the helmsman's direct aft bearing, but the window extends close
enough to the cabin sole that there is virtually no compromise in visibility.

The first impression upon stepping into the bridgedeck is that the boat is
extremely light, airy, and open feeling, adjectives not always applicable to
vessels with similar layouts.
It quickly becomes apparent how the Blue Star 36.6 manages to create this
perception.
Large windows surround the bridgedeck, with minimal interruption for mullions
and framing. There is no heavy flybridge requiring vertical support, so Blue
Star is able to maximize the use of tempered glass with no compromise in
structural stability. Interior bulkheads are painted in a glossy, white, yacht
enamel rather than a satin finished veneer or covered with a non-reflective
fabric. Locker doors and other trim items are exquisitely varnished teak, which
contrasts nicely with the white enamel and also reflects a fair amount of
light. The front bridgedeck bulkhead is set far enough forward that the large
from windows provide direct, overhead lighting for the galley and dinette, just
forward and two steps down from the bridge deck.

The cabin sole is teak and holly throughout. An L-shaped settee is to port in
the main cabin, with a "shotgun" section that doubles as a forward facing watch
seat aft of what could easily be the best chart table (with 12-volt flexible
goose neck reading light) provided by any builder on a powerboat of this
general type. The helm is to starboard, and affords excellent visibility in all
directions. Headroom on the bridgedeck is approximately 6'6", so taller than
average boaters won't be forced to "scrunch down" when standing behind the
wheel. While the Blue Star has thoughtfully incorporated the aforementioned
chart table, a spacious pod at the helm awaits the installation of the eventual
buyers' choice of marine electronics. A chartplotting radar and/or a PC monitor
could be easily accommodated , and will still be below a seated pilot's line of
sight.

The electrical distribution panel is located at the top of the companionway
leading forward, and it is worthy of note. The panel has a white background,
rather than the more common black, for better visibility. It is well organized
and legibly labeled.

The U-shaped galley is next forward, to port. A double stainless sink with
stowage lockers below is set against the forward bulkhead, and a standard,
under-counter refrigerator freezer is set against the aft bulkhead with lockers
above. microwave oven and a Force 10 propane cooktop complete the "U" below a
large, stainless, portlight. Some cooks might notice the lack of an oven, so
while the galley is efficiently designed, light, attractive, and all fixtures
seem to be top quality, it is more of a "heat and eat" configuration than a
seagoing gourmet's wildest fantasy. One wonders whether the stowage space below
the Force 10 cooktop could be sacrificed for an optional oven, or whether the
large, double door locker just above the countertop might be converted to house
a convection oven of sufficient size? (Captain Martha Comfort, of International
Marine Management, remarked that Bruckmann is always appreciative and
responsive to suggestions. Perhaps an oven could be worked in for boaters who
would find it important.)

Quality and thoughtful design are far more than "skin deep" on the Blue Star
36.6; a fact easily discoverable by extensive poking through the galley area.
Many lockers have removable bottom panels to allow access to sea cocks or
plumbing connections in the bilge. Concealed areas that most prospective buyers
would never think to inspect when shopping for a boat are finished to a very
high standard. Hot and cold water lines are color-coded red and blue, and all
wires and valves we encountered were labeled as well.

The dinette is to starboard, featuring traditional fore and aft seating and a
very impressive tabletop, inlaid with a "star" pattern (repeated in the hub of
the stainless wheel at the bridge). The dinette will convert to a double bed,
and when coupled with the master stateroom and the bridgedeck settee brings the
realistic sleeping capacity of the Blue Star 36.6 to five. A liquor locker is
built in just aft of the dinette.

The head is to port, just forward of the galley, and can be entered from either
the master stateroom or the companionway between the galley and the dinette.
One would consider this compartment, "just" big enough, but as elegantly turned
out as the rest of the vessel. The Blue Star in stock at International Marine
Management is equipped with a VacuFlush head, stowage lockers, a hand held
shower, and a stainless hand basin. A large mirror, an overhead hatch, and a
stainless port light introduce and reflect more than adequate levels of light
throughout the head. The VacuFlush toilet uses only a trace of water to flush,
so the 30-gallon holding tank should be adequate for cruises of several days'
duration. The "Y" valve and other plumbing associated with the head is
concealed in the locker below the hand basin, not down in the bilge as on so
many boats.

The master stateroom features a queen size, centerline bunk with cedar-lined
hanging locker. Stainless port lights, an overhead hatch, and the same crisp
white bulkheads with polished teak trim carry the light, bright, theme to the
comfortable master stateroom.

Underway:

Many prospective owners might be inclined to consider the Blue Star 36.6 based
on its good looks alone. We were about to discover how or whether the
thoughtful approach to style, form and finish had been carried forward into a
solidly performing boat. As we motored away from Chandler's Cove on a late
October afternoon, there were only six hours showing on the meters. Our test
run would be among the first few times a Blue Start 36.6 had ever been underway
in the Pacific Northwest.

Standard engines on a Blue Star 36.6 are twin Yanmar 315HP diesels. The engines
on the IMM vessel are turbo charged and inter-cooled Yanmars that produce
370HP. The engine room is located under a hatch on the bridgedeck. With just
over 13-feet of beam, there is ample room to service the engines.

While the design elements of the Blue Star 36.6 are reminiscent of the
traditional lobster boat, Bruckmann has introduced a new hull form with the
Blue Star series. The hull is described as a "deep U." Blue Star designer Mark
Ellis told Nor'westing, "I designed the Blue Star 36.6 with a 'deep-v' hull
shape of about 22-degrees deadrise and used three quite broad lift strips or
strakes per side. This hull also features propeller tunnels that allow for
quite shallow draft angles as well as keeping the draft down. There is no skeg
or keel appendage."

The Blue Star's cored hull is laid up with vinylester resin throughout. Molded
blocks of solid fiberglass are faired in where through hulls, rudder posts, and
struts penetrate the hull, a step that will prevent the core material from
absorbing water. In addition to a large, flat, chine section the Blue Star 36.6
relies on the strakes to help achieve more efficient planing, deflect spray,
and improve the Blue Star's resistance to rolling.

The overlapping hull to deck joint is chemically bonded along its entire
length, and mechanically fastened at 4" intervals.

We idled across Lake Union, stopped at Ivar's dock to take a few snapshots, and
motored across Portage Bay and out to Webster Point. At slow speeds, the engine
noise was minimal- as one would expect. When we cleared the speed limit
advisory buoys, we opened up the throttles and let the Yanmars strut their
stuff.

The Blue Star 36.6 is equipped with single-lever throttle controls and an
electronic synchronizer. We set the port engine in "slave" mode, and used the
starboard lever to control both engines.

The Blue Star 36.6 is a thoroughbred, born to run. From a 7-knot start, we
moved the throttle steadily and directly to cruising speed without experiencing
any bow lift whatsoever. Acceleration was quick and responsive. The 370 Yanmars
are rated to turn up to 3300 RPM, and speeds in excess of 30 knots are
available at wide open throttle settings. We settled in for a comfortable
cruise at closer to 2600 RPM, motoring along very easily at a pace in the low
20's. We were running reasonably light, but with a full load of fuel, water,
and personal gear aboard the Blue Star 36.6 will still be able to satisfy all
but the most voracious speed demons.

Even though the engines are directly below the bridgedeck, the noise level was
very acceptable. It isn't necessary to shout on the Blue Star, a normal
conversational tone is sufficient at virtually any speed.

It was just our bad luck to have a beautiful, calm, fall day for our Blue Star
test. We worked hard to stir up an acre or two of frothing chop on Lake
Washington, cutting back and forth across our wake. While we didn't get to
"enjoy" the boat under seriously snotty conditions, we ultimately managed to
take a few decent waves from all angles. The results were noteworthy.

Head seas and quartering seas were dispatched as a matter of course. Splash and
spray were minimal, flaring out and away from the foredeck rather than crashing
into the windows. Backing down quickly to take a following wave demonstrated
that (at least in moderate conditions) the Blue Star isn't going to be pitch
prone or quirky to steer. Bringing the Blue Star around and backing down to
take her own wake broad abeam revealed a very acceptable rolling moment, not at
all surprising when the lower center of gravity of any boat built without a
flybridge is taken into account.

Perhaps the most unique aspect of the Blue Star 36.6 performance is the manner
in which the vessel handles a turn at speed. We pushed up to WOT and brought
the wheel hard over. While many builders strive for an extremely "flat" turn,
this isn't at all the case with the Blue Star. Pushed hard into a turn, the
boat "heels" perhaps 15 degrees or so almost immediately, but then settles in
on the chines and strakes for a solid and stable ride. Regardless of how hard
we pushed the boat or how tightly we tried to turn it, the Blue Star stayed
firmly planted at the same noticeable, (but not in any way discomforting)
angle.

Conclusion:

The Blue Star 36.6 should prove to be a very fine NW coastal cruiser. The boat
might be an unfortunate choice for extremely shy boaters, as the novel style
will garner no shortage of attention and the classic lines will assure that the
good looks will survive the wax and wane of many more faddish fashions.
Prospective owners should be prepared for a good deal of impressed attention.
The well considered layout will accommodate five without undue crowding, and
there's a certain joyful satisfaction associated with owning something that is
so obviously well made.

From a personal perspective, I struggle to remember the last time a boat felt
so immediately right, predictable, and manageable upon a first exposure. I can
absolutely affirm that the good folks at Bruckmann appear to have captured one
of the most important characteristics of a traditional lobster boat:
confidence.

Harry Krause

Gould 0738 wrote:

Since my largest fan is commenting yet again just how much she enjoys a boat
review, I'd thought I'd share this partiocular item with the group.

Could this be the elusive lobsta boat from MD? Its the right length, and came
to market just about the time Harry began mentioning a new boat. I'll be
meeting with Mark Bruckmann in about a month when he comes to Seattle, it might
be fun to inquire about owners of the earliest hull #'s.

Should anybody be interested in photos, please let me know and I'll send a zip
file.

It's a sweet boat for sure, but no cigar for you.

--
Email sent to is never read.
UglyDan®©™

FWIW, A true Mainiac catches his lobster in a trap, then cooks it in a
pot. UD

http://community.webtv.net/capuglyda...inUglyDansJack