ray628

Default Baja, Wellcraft, ect...

Hello,
I am in the market for a used powerboat. I am looking for something
around a 1990 26-27" Baja, Wellcraft, or similar brand. I have heard
some bad things about each. What do you think about this sport boat
market. What boats should I stay away from and which boats should I
look for. Also, how many hours are adequate for a boat. I don't want
to buy a boat and blow a motor right away.
Dan Krueger

Proper maintenance has more to do with long-term durability than simply the
hours on the engine(s). If I was buying that type of boat, I would have serious
reservations about a 14 year old rig unless I was buying a good hull and
planning to repower it.

You don't mention the type of water where you will use the boat. I know, from
reading here, that poor maintenance can lead to expensive repairs or replacement
of the risers and manifolds - particularly in salt water conditions.

As far as hours - some will say boats take a bigger beating if they are NOT used
so that isn't necessarily a good indication of its future performance.

Dan

ray628 wrote:
Hello,
I am in the market for a used powerboat. I am looking for something
around a 1990 26-27" Baja, Wellcraft, or similar brand. I have heard
some bad things about each. What do you think about this sport boat
market. What boats should I stay away from and which boats should I
look for. Also, how many hours are adequate for a boat. I don't want
to buy a boat and blow a motor right away.

ray628

Well I am looking at good solid boat hulls, That is a lot easier to
spot than a bad motor/outdrive combo. I am in Illinois and all they
boat I am looking at are freshwater boats. Is there a rule of thumb
about boats needing a rebuild after 200, 500, 700 or 1000 hours? I
know some people beat boats and some don't. Just looking for a little
guidence in that department.

ray628 wrote:
Hello,
I am in the market for a used powerboat. I am looking for something
around a 1990 26-27" Baja, Wellcraft, or similar brand. I have heard
some bad things about each. What do you think about this sport boat
market. What boats should I stay away from and which boats should I
look for. Also, how many hours are adequate for a boat. I don't want
to buy a boat and blow a motor right away.

bajaman

I can speak personally for Baja boats....they are VERY good, in my opinion.
Very well built, all hand-laid 'glass (no chopper guns), and the graphics
are inlaid in the gelcoat, no cheesy vinyl stripings here!

Other brands I've had personal experience with and can report favorably on
Rinker
Stingray
FourWinns

But then, I loved my first boat, a Bayliner 2050 Capri with a 5.0 V8. I
paid $15K for it and got nearly all of that back when I traded for my Baja
two years later. A lot of folks knock Bayliner....I won't.

om...

Baja Boat Owners Site bomar General 0 February 25th 04 03:01 AM
Opinions on a 1987 Wellcraft Monte Carlo 28' Mike General 5 August 8th 03 02:20 PM
Wellcraft 19 CC Bill Kiene General 1 July 26th 03 02:32 PM