Default Johnson Colt (1.5 hp outboard) Won't Start

Just finishing up on my transducer problem I am back to trying
to diagnose why my Colt won't start.
I am now back to checking spark.
In a small, one cylinder engine, how far away from the block
can the sparkplug lead be placed and still show a spark? I am
assuming not more than 1/4 inch.
Could someone please verify this?
Previously I had opened the carburetor and found everything
to be fine (clean- no debris.) The vent cap was checked also
as was the fuel line. The spark was also checked and seemed to
be fine (at that time). New plug. Compression seems fine.
Sometimes this engine has started and run perfectly. Other times
30 cranks and not even a sputter. On those occasions (like now) I
have squirted carburetor cleaner into the cylinder and still nothing.
I can't imagine this wouldn't point directly to an intermittent spark
problem. (Corroded wires somewhere perhaps?)
Your help is much appreciated (as aways!)
Frank

Follow-up:
Just checked the spark again (lead to block) Very weak,
need to almost touch to see anything.
Ready to pull the flywheel.
Frank

Broken HV lead into the coil. That accounted for the
intermittent issue because the two ends of the wires
would sometimes touch. The rubber was well-clamped
at that point so the two parts showed no obvious
signs of separation.
Thanks for reading through this! LOL
Frank

On Thu, 03 Aug 2006 19:12:49 GMT, frank1492