Thom Stewart

Default Headsail for Furler?

I set a Hild 10-40 regulator Kappa Cut 150 % on my furling head. I've
never heard any one else ever mention one. I love the set-up

I was wondering what others were using on their furlers.

Please responsed?

Ole Thom

JR Gilbreath

Thom Stewart wrote:

I set a Hild 10-40 regulator Kappa Cut 150 % on my furling head. I've
never heard any one else ever mention one. I love the set-up

I was wondering what others were using on their furlers.

Please responsed?

Ole Thom

Hey Thom
I also never heard of a 10-40 regulator. What is it? I just have a
plain 135 (Neil Pryde) my boat.
JR
JG

A quick search produced this...

http://archives.morgan38.org/messages/2481.html

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Thom Stewart" wrote in message
I set a Hild 10-40 regulator Kappa Cut 150 % on my furling head. I've
never heard any one else ever mention one. I love the set-up

I was wondering what others were using on their furlers.

Please responsed?

Ole Thom

Thom Stewart

JR,
A regulater is a sail that gets heavier toward the leech. As it gets
rolled up, in a reefing situation, it's exposed area is heavier and
flater

The Kappa cut uses parallel panels sowen together to shape the sail.

The 10-40 is the wind range it was designed for.

It isn't the greatest light air sail but it still works. I carry a 170%
Drifter for very light air, which I set free standing behind the rolled
up furler. The Drifter is a big, light weight sail, that is easy for a
old man to handle in easy conditions

Heading down wind I often fly both; Drifter and the pulled out Furler,
both poled out. It has made the Spinnaker's time of use rather slack at
best.

Ole Thom

Thom Stewart

Jon,

Good articale! Thanks

http://community.webtv.net/tassail/ThomsPage

JR Gilbreath

Thom Stewart wrote:
JR,
A regulater is a sail that gets heavier toward the leech. As it gets
rolled up, in a reefing situation, it's exposed area is heavier and
flater

Thom
I have always heard these called reefing sails. Do you know where
the term 'regulater' came from? I been sailing for 25 years and it is
new to me.
JR
Thom Stewart

JR,

I just assumed it came from regulating the weight of the sail and the
shape that was exposed in a reefed condition.

As Jon's post pointed out Hild had a patent on it. This I had forgotten.

I am a old time LI Sound sailor and always agreed with Herb Hild's
mentality of sails. So when I was transferred to the NW I contacted
Hild's Loft for new sails.

One of Herb's favorite saying was; "Anything that keeps my family and
friends and me off the pointy end of the boat is a good thing!" He is
gone now but I still remember him.

Capt. Neal®

"Thom Stewart" wrote

One of Herb's favorite saying was; "Anything that keeps my family and
friends and me off the pointy end of the boat is a good thing!" He is
gone now but I still remember him.

Maybe if he'd gotten the proper exercise walking to and from the
fordeck and hanking on some real sails, he would not have died of
heart failure?

Why do Americans seem to think they are helping themselves by always
doing what is lazy over what is right?

CN

CN

JR Gilbreath

Thom Stewart wrote:

JR,

As Jon's post pointed out Hild had a patent on it. This I had forgotten.

I missed Jon's post but went back and picked it up. Very interesting it
was patented. Sailmakers seem to not mind borrowing others sailmaker's
ideas.
Also like to stay off the pointy end. The only thing that it is good
for is a sal****er bath.
JR
Thom Stewart

Jon,

Herb died at a ripe old age He sailed his Tartan for many years,
teaching his children and grandchildren the JOYS of sailing and not the
SLAVERY.

We should all be as lucky.

Ole thom