Courtney Thomas

Default difference between PDA and PPC ?

Which is better for navigating and why ?

Thank you.
--
Courtney Thomas
s/v Mutiny

Dennis Pogson

Courtney Thomas wrote:
Which is better for navigating and why ?

Thank you.

A PDA, or personal digital assistant, is any old thing which has a screen
and allows you to put your personal garbage into it's built-in database and
display it. It is not necessarilly a pocket computer, which is what PPC
stands for.

You would be hard put to navigate using a PDA which did not have an
operating system!

Remove "nospam" from return address.

Bill Andersen

You can't use either one for navigating without additional software and
hardware.
You can use a GPS to Navigate by itself, especially if you have one with
NavAids in it.
I think the advantage of a PDA with GPS is that, if you're used to using the
PDA, using the GPS capability is easier.
Inexpensive PDAs and GPS have small displays. If you have protected space on
your boat connecting a GPS to a laptop would provide a bigger display.

"Courtney Thomas" wrote in message
Which is better for navigating and why ?

Thank you.
--
Courtney Thomas
s/v Mutiny
lying Oriental, NC
WDB5619

Dennis Pogson

Courtney Thomas wrote:
Which is better for navigating and why ?

Thank you.

A PDA, or personal digital assistant, is any old thing which has a
screen and allows you to put your personal garbage into it's
built-in database and display it. It is not necessarilly a pocket
computer, which is what PPC stands for.

You would be hard put to navigate using a PDA which did not have an
operating system!

Remove "nospam" from return address.

Good, that should allow you to answer his question.

Remove "nospam" from return address.

Brian N

Courtney

I have tried most combinations but have settled on a PDA running Microsoft
Pocket PC Mobile Edition. It is the XDAII from O2 and has built in
bluetooth. Combined with the SmartGPS that has a normal Garmin style screen
but has a bluetooth transmitter built in and software from either
OziExplorer or NavPak.

I have the added advantage that it also is a tri-band phone, running GPRS so
when in mobile range, I can also use it for email, web browsing, and
addional nautical software for tides, astronimical conversions, almanac etc.

If you need advise, I have tested most nav software (around 15 brands) on
the PDA so just email. I have also had around 5 pda's in the last 3 years
(Casio, Palm, Ipaq etc) and it is only now that they are releasing ones that
are usable for boating (re. the issues of speed, operating system, memory
capacity, and screen resolution).

Regards

Sydney, Australia