Black-n-Gold

Default sound like a clogged fuel vent?

Went for a quick first boat ride of the season yesteday. Engine ran great
for 15 minutes then the RPM's would back down from 3500 to around 2600 - not
stalling or surging it just backed down as if I was backing down the
throttle. We stopped, did a little fishing for an hour, then headed home.
On the way back the same symptoms after running the same time. I new I didn
't have much gas so we pulled into the fuel dock. Set the nozzle and fussed
around. After 39 gallons the gas just eaked out of the vent, but came
shooting out of the fill. I know the tank should have taken at least 80
gallons. The dock was closing so I took her back to the stall without much
investigation.

I'm wondering if the vent isn't clogged up and not allowing sufficient fuel
flow once the boat gets warmed up and is sucking the fuel. It ran fine at
the lower rpm's. Wouldn't a clogged vent cause the boat to spit gas out of
the fill, even if it wasn't full?

Thanks.

Linus

Tony Thomas

Sounds like a vent problem to me. Another easy check is when it happens -
open the fill cap and you should hear air rushing in and/or the engine
should run fine again for the 15 minutes or so.

--
Tony
my boats at http://t.thomas.home.mchsi.com

"Black-n-Gold" wrote in message
[...]

William G. Andersen

I only had one experience with a clogged fuel vent and the problem was that
I couldn't refuel fast - the fuel would back up on me; I'd have to wait,
then add another couple of gallons; wait some more before adding more.
So, the vent could be your problem.
Since it was the first time out this season, your fuel filter may be
clogged, too. That could be a reason for running for awhile, then slowing
down.

[...]

Engine dies- Putters when trying to plane- engine under under heavy load Bora Cider General 4 May 18th 04 04:12 PM
Diesel Fuel Decontamination Units Give Stored Fuel Longer Life. John T. Nightingale General 6 February 20th 04 03:28 PM
fuel delivery problem on outboard? help Russell Hermansen General 9 October 7th 03 01:40 AM
Clogged Waste Tank Vent JML General 3 September 17th 03 02:47 AM
Clogged waste tank vent RG General 0 September 15th 03 10:50 AM