posted to rec.boats.paddle.touring

Default Very interesting article

http://tinyurl.com/38ey7h

About halfway down; the article on Canoe Hull Technology.

--riverman

posted to rec.boats.paddle.touring

riverman wrote in news:1181835807.166888.282670
@z28g2000prd.googlegroups.com:

http://tinyurl.com/38ey7h

About halfway down; the article on Canoe Hull Technology.

I found the article immediately following that about the Adventure Quest
Academy equally interesting. There's a local guy here (a perpetual grad
student, I think) that taught at a school like that over the winter. I'm
not sure if it's the same program but it sounded very interesting.

riverman wrote:
http://tinyurl.com/38ey7h

About halfway down; the article on Canoe Hull Technology.

--riverman

Interesting, yes, but I'd like to see the actual data, as the author
seems to be jumping to conclusion that don't make sense, at least not in
the broad terms he speaks in.

On Jun 17, 5:22 pm, Brian Nystrom wrote:
riverman wrote:
http://tinyurl.com/38ey7h

About halfway down; the article on Canoe Hull Technology.

--riverman

Interesting, yes, but I'd like to see the actual data, as the author
seems to be jumping to conclusion that don't make sense, at least not in
the broad terms he speaks in.

Brian, can you be more specific about what doesn't make sense?

Steve

riverman wrote:
http://tinyurl.com/38ey7h
About halfway down; the article on Canoe Hull Technology.
--riverman

Interesting, yes, but I'd like to see the actual data, as the author
seems to be jumping to conclusion that don't make sense, at least not in
the broad terms he speaks in.

Brian, can you be more specific about what doesn't make sense?

Steve

A perfect example is this statement:

"Other things being equal, the residual drag force of a 16-foot canoe is
3 percent greater than that of a 17-foot canoe."

That doesn't take into account any differences in hull shape, nor does
it specify the waterline length. It doesn't account for speed, which is
a major factor in drag. For example, the shorter boat may have less drag
than the longer one at lower speeds, but more at higher speeds. He also
jumps to conclusions about the effect of bow shape without any
supporting data - at least not in the article. Hull design is not that
simple and the lack of actual data in this article makes it largely useless.