Default Volvo 27 hp vs. Perkins 50 hp - Any comments?

On Tuesday, October 22, 1996 at 2:00:00 PM UTC+7, Kevin Cowie wrote:
I am considering buying a 38' Beneteau that is powered by a 27 hp Volvo
engine (2003 CC), however, I know the 50 hp Perkins (236-4 I believe) was
also an option with Beneteaus in this size range. Does anyone have any
experience with the lower power engine? How does it do when climbing large
seas (15' +) on the nose? Assuming it has enough power for that, can it
also handle a high output alternator without then falling below the
acceptable power curve? Do you have any other general comments about the
Volvo?

I am also concerned with an apparent characteristic of Volvo engines to be
VERY slow to start when they get the least bit chilly (i.e. many turns of
the crank before they start to catch). This Beneteau seems to suffer from
that, as well as a couple of other boats I have known. I have heard that
there is an optional pre-heater available for it ... any knowledge about
that or how effective it is?

Zinc on Perkins 4-108 beaufortnc Cruising 9 January 20th 07 07:11 AM
Perkins hoses Doug Dotson Cruising 2 December 9th 04 02:30 PM
ANNOUNCE: HMS Online - Dealers in BMC, Ford, Perkins & Volvo reconditioned engines and gearboxes Nick Marketplace 0 February 23rd 04 10:56 AM
Perkins Prima 500 [email protected] Boat Building 1 January 26th 04 06:15 AM
Perkins still made? [email protected] Cruising 10 September 28th 03 06:17 PM