wpatrick

Default Recommend electric pump?

Can any of you make a recommendation for an electric bilge pump to use in
our Prijon Kodiak and Seayak boats? They are plastic boats with foam
bulkheads.

Michael Daly

On 17-Oct-2003, wpatrick wrote:

Can any of you make a recommendation for an electric bilge pump to use in
our Prijon Kodiak and Seayak boats? They are plastic boats with foam
bulkheads.

I prefer Atwood pumps. They are conservatively rated and perform well.
The competition tends to overrate their pumps. The following table
(use fixed font) shows the time (in minutes) required to pump 100 liters
of water. Data taken from manufacturers' web sites a couple of years ago.

Pump 12V G/Hr liters/min Lift Drop Time Amps
Rated Reduce 10%
Whale 300 420 26.5 23.8 4.2 1.9
Rule 500 480 30.2 27.2 3.7 1.9
Whale 500 502 31.6 28.5 3.5 2.3
Attwood 625 650 41.0 36.9 2.7 1.2*
Rule 800 700 44.1 39.7 2.5 2.8
Rule 1100 1050 66.2 59.5 1.7 3.3

* I measured this at 0.9A in my kayak.

Note that with the Attwood 625, at 0.9A current - the lowest draw,
you get the third greatest pumping capacity. Since battery
capacity is directly related to the current demand, this allows
you to put together a pumping system with the smallest battery.
The 625 is actually better than the Attwood 500 - more capacity
for the same or lower current.

In fact, a dozen 1.2V AA NiMH batteries in series (14.4V) will
adequately power the Attwood. This would be lighter and easier
to deal with than AGM or other sealed lead acid batteries or
even NiCd. Just make sure all 12 batteries are the same type
exactly (e.g. all 1800 mAh) and make sure they are always charged
to the same level.

You can do a search on pump types. The following was one article
I looked at when researching my pump.

http://www.powerboat-reports.com/sample/bilge.html

Mike
David Johnson

wpatrick wrote in message ...
Can any of you make a recommendation for an electric bilge pump to use in
our Prijon Kodiak and Seayak boats? They are plastic boats with foam
bulkheads.

Here's a recomendation for a switch to go along with your bilge pump:

www.ottoeng.com/control/pushbutton_p5d.htm

-After considerable research (and I do mean lots of effort) this looks
like an ideal switch for an electronic bilge pump. I have a few
available if you would like one, email me. Mine are IP-68 rated,
sealed front and back.

David
posted to rec.boats.paddle.touring
RW RW is offline

On Fri, 17 Oct 2003 12:00:26 -0700, wpatrick
wrote:

Can any of you make a recommendation for an electric bilge pump to use in
our Prijon Kodiak and Seayak boats? They are plastic boats with foam
bulkheads.

Hi: I have a Kodiak with a Rule 25-S, 500 gph pump. The unit is very
small (4"hi x 2.5" dia) and has a built in actuation switch with a
3/4" output. About $45. I use a 3.5 AH POWERSONIC gel cell. All
mounted behind the seat. The battery is waterproof and totsally sealed
as is, and I've sealed the wiring contacts with aquarium sealant. The
output hose goes directly out the side above the waterline using the
standard 3/4" bilge bulkhead fitting. All available at amy marine
store. Fair winds RW

wrote:

Can any of you make a recommendation for an electric bilge pump to use in
our Prijon Kodiak and Seayak boats? They are plastic boats with foam
bulkheads.

Hi: I have a Kodiak with a Rule 25-S, 500 gph pump. The unit is very
small (4"hi x 2.5" dia) and has a built in actuation switch with a
3/4" output. About $45. I use a 3.5 AH POWERSONIC gel cell. All
mounted behind the seat. The battery is waterproof and totsally sealed
as is, and I've sealed the wiring contacts with aquarium sealant. The
output hose goes directly out the side above the waterline using the
standard 3/4" bilge bulkhead fitting. All available at amy marine
store. Fair winds RW

Forgot to mention.... the battery is installed with a bungy to the
foam bulkhead inside the rear waterproof compartment. The wiring
passes thru the bulkhead to the pump unit behind the seat. Holes are
well sealed with aquarium cement. Everything weighs about 3.5 lbs and
will clear out a totally swamped cockpit in under 2 minutes. Leaves
both hands free, the skirt attached, and is automatic. Ron W

Anyone know how an oil pump draws a prime? JAXAshby Cruising 20 June 29th 04 09:12 PM
Problem water pump Yanmar 2GM *Redux* Jeffrey P. Vasquez Cruising 0 January 22nd 04 11:10 PM
Bilge Pump Switch LaBomba182 Cruising 0 October 31st 03 05:25 PM
Can a single 72 gal per hour fuel pump run two 392 cu inch motors? Scott Downey General 4 October 19th 03 09:28 PM