Default NEED INFO ON FORD/PEUGEOT LEHMAN 4D61 OR 4D46 DIESEL ENGINE

I am considering the purchase of a Norseman 447 with a circa 1981 Ford
Lehman (made I underfstand by Peugeot) 4D46 or 4D61 diesel engine
(hours unknown). It is connected to a Borg Warner V-drive. Can
anyone help me with observations about the reliability or
maintainability or parts availability of this engine/transmission?
grimly bubble

wrote in message
I am considering the purchase of a Norseman 447 with a circa 1981 Ford
Lehman (made I underfstand by Peugeot) 4D46 or 4D61 diesel engine
(hours unknown). It is connected to a Borg Warner V-drive. Can
anyone help me with observations about the reliability or
maintainability or parts availability of this engine/transmission?

I have a similar ford, 6 cylinder in line 120 hp made it thru 18000 hours,
still in the boat after its last rebuild. Good reliable motor.

DSK

wrote
I am considering the purchase of a Norseman 447 with a circa 1981 Ford
Lehman (made I underfstand by Peugeot) 4D46 or 4D61 diesel engine
(hours unknown). It is connected to a Borg Warner V-drive. Can
anyone help me with observations about the reliability or
maintainability or parts availability of this engine/transmission?

You can get any parts you want for it, up to and including a whole new
engine. The Ford Lehman is very well supported.

grimly bubble wrote:
I have a similar ford, 6 cylinder in line 120 hp made it thru 18000 hours,
still in the boat after its last rebuild. Good reliable motor.

Agreed. We have only had ours for a couple hundred hours but it is a
very impressive engine. I've never heard any complaints about it's
reliability and the reputed longevity is about the highest of any diesel.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

Paul Gryn

It's NOT a Ford, its a early 1980's vintage Peugeot diesel car engine, which
was "marinized" by Lehman (no longer in business), who also "marinized"
higher horsepower Ford diesel engines.

There are a number of us who have the same engine in Albin 27 trawlers. Lots
of info and assistance available via Albin cruisers group in Yahoo.

Chris Newport

On Tuesday 15 June 2004 1:03 am in rec.boats.cruising Paul Gryn wrote:

It's NOT a Ford, its a early 1980's vintage Peugeot diesel car engine,
which was "marinized" by Lehman (no longer in business), who also
"marinized" higher horsepower Ford diesel engines.

Sounds like the engine used in the Peugeot 404, which was one of the most
reliable engines ever used in a car. Makes a noise like a tractor but almost
indestructable. Good for half a million miles in taxis.

--
My real address is crn (at) netunix (dot) com
WARNING all messages containing attachments or html will be silently

power vs sail O:P\) Cruising 36 March 18th 04 03:27 AM
Evinrude FICHT beats out Yamaha in JD Powers survey Billgran General 60 November 4th 03 03:02 PM
Engine News from Genmar Gould 0738 General 8 October 27th 03 05:47 PM