Peter Hendra

Default Another attack on yacht in Venezuela

Another yacht assault in Venezuela

Created by doina. Last modified on 2005-05-26 11:33:16
Contributors:
Topic: Piracy
Countries: Venezuela

The catamaran "Madam", a Bahia 46, with owners Bruno and his wife
Catherine on board, was anchored in Carenero, Venezuela, a hundred
yards or so from the Carenero Yacht Club.

On May 13 2005, at 2am, we were boarded by two young local guys, there
was probably a third one waiting in a small boat. They stole
binoculars, shoes and some portable electronics. Bruno woke-up and
fought with them, taking from them a bat and a hammer they were using
as weapons. One of the two thieves wanted to kill him ("lo mato!")
with a knife but the other said to leave. They jumped in the water and
left, taking the gear and leaving their knife in the cockpit.

We then heard a shot and impact of a projectile in the water close to
the boat. We called for help on CH16: after some time, some local
"vigilancia" relayed the call in better spanish but no authority
responded or showed up. Only the private guards of the nearby hotel
called us and told us we could come anchor a hundred yards closer to
them. We later learned that the Guardia Nacional sent a patrol on
shore, but had no boat to come close to us.

Despite numerous "mayday" calls between 2:10am and 6:00am no authority
responded on CH16.

Around 7am in the morning, Bruno went to see the Guardia Nacional
asho they finally made it to the boat at 10:15am, took our
deposition and the evidences of armed robbery left by the thieves: a
big knife and a 3ft bat. Later came an officer from the "Capitania de
Puerto Carenero" who wrote a report of the incident. To this hour,
both have been very reluctant to give us any copy, even that of our
own deposition.

We invite you to broadcast this information as widely as possible in
the hope to get more efficient reactions from the Venezuelian
authorities.

Bruno and Catherine Millet
rhys

Thanks for this. Normally, I don't post salty language, but I've just
added Venezuela to my list of ****ing dumps I won't be visiting by
sail.

So far:

Indonesia
All of the Red Sea
Venezuela
Parts of Brazil
Parts of Africa
Parts of Central America (Costa Rica's still OK, and possibly Belize)
U.S.A. if the jumped-up mall cops running "Homeland Security" think I
might visit Cuba at some undefined point and decide that's reason to
steal my boat.

R.

On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 10:51:12 +1000, Peter Hendra
wrote:

[...]

Frank

Oh, yeah, gotta ditto this. Yes, even the part about the U.S., despite
my status as a citizen of said entity. We're getting ready to start
cruising toward the Caribbean in a coupla months (as soon as we get the
new boat ready). We'll be flying a "world" flag from our stern.

"Homeland Security!" Snort! A bureau name (and philosophy and tactics)
straight out of the Third Reich. And is there anything more
"unamerican" than the soi-disant "Patriot" Act? Lately, however, I've
been hearing rumors of impeachment. I can only hope. Guess I'd better
keep a U.S. ensign with the other courtesy flags. Just in case.

But to move away from politics... Homeschooling at sea! I can't wait!
The kids are pretty excited, too.

Larry W4CSC

"Frank" wrote in
oups.com:

But to move away from politics... Homeschooling at sea! I can't wait!
The kids are pretty excited, too.

Here's a good link I found:
http://www.doe.k12.ga.us/schools/homeschools.asp

I have some liveaboard friends who home schooled two boys with a program
from the Univerity of Nebraska-Lincoln:
University of Nebraska-Lincoln
Independence Study High School
Tel: (402) 472-2175
Fax: (866) 700-4747
mentioned on this website. Both boys went on to earn masters degrees being
automatically accepted at UNeb upon successful completion of the remote-
controlled high school. I looked at some of the correspondence materials
they used. Most impressive. World travelers, the boys got lots more
experience at sea than any kid in the finest private school in the country.
What they lacked was socialization with their generation, as do most home
schoolers, which is not good.

--
Larry

You know you've had a rough night when you wake up and your outlined in
chalk.

Frank

Thanks, Larry,

We're John Holt-style *un*schoolers. As such, we reject the concept of
curricula of any kind. And I say that as a product of a fairly rigorous
schooling experience myself, including a college major in secondary
education.

And the "socialization" argument is, to be blunt, bogus. Homeschooled
kids get more and better socialization than schooled kids, who are kept
quiet in their desks 6 or more hours a day and segregated solely with
their own age group, except during recess, when they get beat up by
older bullies. How in the world is that "better socialization" than
interacting with various people of various age groups in the real
world, just like we hafta do as adults? If you observe homeschooled
kids and schooled kids of the same age group in a social setting, I
contend that you'll find the homeschooled kids to be universally better
socialized and more comfortable with others (of all ages) than the
schooled kids.

And that's my $.02 on THAT subject! grin

Frank, fato profugus

prodigal1

Frank wrote:
Thanks, Larry,

We're John Holt-style *un*schoolers.

sweeping generalizations about school snipped

The "socialization" I'd be more concerned about is the programming they
get in US society to be unquestioning little consumers. It isn't the
schools that teach kids to be sheep. It's so-called "popular culture"
which is of course nothing more than advertising for consumer goods.
Frank

I agree pretty much with your assessment of our culture, such as it is.
I think that the schools are part of the indoctrination process,
however. Look at your own wording, "...teach the kids to be sheep."
Where do kids spend most of their day being herded around, told what to
do, told to be quiet, told when to think, and what to think, but not to
think too much. Actually having an original thought and questioning
something a teacher says is the rankest form of breaking from the herd
and results in instant and complete ostracism.

Do you disagree with my sweeping generalizations about school?

FMac

"Frank" wrote in message
ups.com...
I agree pretty much with your assessment of our culture, such as it is.
I think that the schools are part of the indoctrination process,
however. Look at your own wording, "...teach the kids to be sheep."
Where do kids spend most of their day being herded around, told what to
do, told to be quiet, told when to think, and what to think, but not to
think too much. Actually having an original thought and questioning
something a teacher says is the rankest form of breaking from the herd
and results in instant and complete ostracism.

Do you disagree with my sweeping generalizations about school?

Yes, somewhat. I always thought it was the sheep attempting to lead the
wolfs. I still think that way.

Jere Lull

In article ,
Larry W4CSC wrote:

I looked at some of the correspondence materials they used. Most
impressive. World travelers, the boys got lots more experience at
sea than any kid in the finest private school in the country. What
they lacked was socialization with their generation, as do most home
schoolers, which is not good.

I'm not so sure. The socialization skills of the land-bound leaves a lot
to be desired. My nieces and nephew (now about 25-35) were largely home
schooled and their social skills are better than most of their
contemporaries that I work with. In addition, their values and ethics
are considerably more mature.

In general, the cruising kids I see are better adjusted to the real
world. They definitely know what responsibility is, and why it's
important.

--
Jere Lull
prodigal1

Frank wrote:
I agree pretty much with your assessment of our culture, such as it is.
I think that the schools are part of the indoctrination process,
however. Look at your own wording, "...teach the kids to be sheep."
Where do kids spend most of their day being herded around, told what to
do, told to be quiet, told when to think, and what to think, but not to
think too much. Actually having an original thought and questioning
something a teacher says is the rankest form of breaking from the herd
and results in instant and complete ostracism.

off the top of my head
the pros
1. I think you are speaking from your own experience with a school
system that didn't meet your needs.
2. You correctly want to protect your children from the same unhappy
experience you had.
3. It's possible you are/were a "gifted" person.

the cons
1. Your experience may not be your kids experience.
2. Kids need to experience life for themselves, which isn't to say that
they need to experience "school". I think there's a lot to be said for
getting out there. I just don't buy this "home-schooled makes better
kids" crap. My in-laws home-school their kids in a Baptist ghetto.
They're 2 years behind their peers in basic skills and if it ain't about
Jesus, it ain't bein' discussed in the home. OMG!!!! Are all
2.5billion of the Chinese and Indian's going straight to hell because
"they don't _know_ Jesus"? Going to get kinda crowded down there don't
you think?
3. Your criticism of "school" is predicated on a presumption that it
exists, perhaps based on your experience, to stifle the creative
expresssion of intelligence. All I can say is that my experience, and
my kid's experience was different...but then I didn't go to school in
the US.
4. Kids don't know anything yet...they're kids...even if they are gifted.
5. Most teachers do have something to say, motivated by a desire to
invigorate the minds of children. God knows they don't go into teaching
for the money, so cut them a little slack.

Do you disagree with my sweeping generalizations about school?

ah...as a rule, I think sweeping generalizations are intellectually
unsupportable.

conclusion
take 'em sailing
life's short