Eric H

Default Evinrude tach problems

Eric H wrote:

Hello,

I recently installed an 84 Evinrude 140 and at the same time installed a
brand new teleflex tach. The tach is wired via a new 3 wire harness
going to the control and everything is verified to be correct. My
problem is that when the tach is set to the 6P position, per the
instructions, it reads excessively high. When I change it to 12P is
seems more realistic but at WOT it still seems high. Wide open I can get
the tach to read 7500 rpm but I've been around V-4's enough to know it
sounds more like 5000. Anyone ever see anything similar?

Thanks,

Eric

FYI for anyone curious. The tach problem was caused by a bad rectifier.
Paul

Thanks for following up Eric, I was curious. I didn't have anything to add
so I didn't respond but I'm curious about my own tachs lately and reading up
on other people's adventures to gain some insight.