Ante Topic Mimara

Default Clever boat names

Argonauta writes:

As an Electrical Engineer, I always wanted to name a boat
CMOS (pronounced Sea Moss) for Complimentary Metal Oxide
Semiconductor, a popular semiconductor technology. Most
would agree, it is a bit too obscure and would likely never
get pronounced correctly -- save for the occasional
electronics enthusiast.

Oh my this *is* clever. Why do you then not name your boat "Sea
Moss" but superimpose that name over the letters "C M O S" on
the stern of the boat, or intertwine the letters C, M, O, & S
into the full name. With the help of a talented graphic artist,
you could arrive at a pleasing graphic to place on the boat.

---
-
Topic-Mimara
Unique in the World!
---

-=-
This message was posted via two or more anonymous remailing services.

Rosalie B.

x-no-archive:yes Ante Topic Mimara
] wrote:

Argonauta writes:

As an Electrical Engineer, I always wanted to name a boat
CMOS (pronounced Sea Moss) for Complimentary Metal Oxide
Semiconductor, a popular semiconductor technology. Most
would agree, it is a bit too obscure and would likely never
get pronounced correctly -- save for the occasional
electronics enthusiast.

Oh my this *is* clever. Why do you then not name your boat "Sea
Moss" but superimpose that name over the letters "C M O S" on
the stern of the boat, or intertwine the letters C, M, O, & S
into the full name. With the help of a talented graphic artist,
you could arrive at a pleasing graphic to place on the boat.

Or just C MOSs which would be pronounceable although most people
probably still wouldn't get it. Using single letters KT for Katy is
fairly common (especially on license plates) and it isn't that hard a
concept. (that would be the Complimentary Metal Oxide SemiconductorS
- plural)

Where it is important that it be spelled CMOSs instead of Sea Moss
(which I don't think it would make much difference on the radio for
instance - so what if the bridge tender or marina person gets it
spelled wrong) you could spell it phonetically pretty easily. Most of
the time someone who's made that mistake will be too embarrassed to
say anything IME.

grandma Rosalie

Peter Bennett

On Mon, 9 Feb 2004 06:57:28 -0600, "Keith"
wrote:

There is a boat named "whatever" in my marina. When the wife found out the
name they originally picked out had been used, her husband told her on the
phone to name it whatever. She did.

Another funny one around here is "excuse me". Racing sailboat... funny to
hail him though. "Excuse me, excuse me, excuse me... this is Anastasia III".
Somebody invariably asks... "so what do you want?" hehehe!

I've always wanted to name my boat
"station calling" or "vessel calling"

:-)

--
Peter Bennett, VE7CEI
peterbb (at) interchange.ubc.ca

Gould 0738

I've always wanted to name my boat
"station calling" or "vessel calling"

:-)

There are some regs that prohibit names that sound too much like commonly used
radio calls. Can you imagine the confusion
that might result if you were hailing a vessel called "Pay day?" :-)

DSK

Gould 0738 wrote:
There are some regs that prohibit names that sound too much like commonly used
radio calls. Can you imagine the confusion
that might result if you were hailing a vessel called "Pay day?" :-)

I've seen boats named that... but the above post made me think it would be funny
to name a boat "Repeat Your Last"

"Repeat Your Last, Repeat Your Last, Repeat Your Last, this is Vessel Calling."

"we copy, vessel calling Repeat Your Last, go ahead."

"No, I mean this is the vessel Vessel Calling."

"Repeat your last"

And so on. Not quite as good on "Who's on First" but it keep a few people
harmlessly amused.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

Sparky

On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 19:42:16 -0800, Peter Bennett
wrote:

I've always wanted to name my boat
"station calling" or "vessel calling"

Best one I ever saw was: Paid 4
Sparky

Growing old is compulsary.
Growing up is optional.

Boat fell off trailer bb General 31 January 27th 04 10:22 PM
Harry's lobster boat? Gould 0738 General 3 December 23rd 03 07:24 AM
"Chesapeake Bay Boat Buying" followup/Boat search update Skip Gundlach Cruising 20 December 15th 03 10:50 PM
1st boat help Diverguy General 21 November 12th 03 07:40 PM
Evinrude FICHT beats out Yamaha in JD Powers survey Billgran General 60 November 4th 03 03:02 PM