Paul Schilter

Default pontoon on the gulf of mexico

Greg,
Actually I don't see a whole lot of pontoons on Lake Saint Clair [the
sixth Great Lake :-)]. I'm sure there's some, but I see a whole lot more
around Ft. Myers Beach in Florida. Probably see more pontoons around here
on inland lakes.
Paul

"Greg" wrote in message

The best reason not to is that it was never made for that
type of water.

Don't confuse the Gulf with the ocean. If someone is simply going a few

miles
offshore they are not going to see the pounding waves you see in the ocean
unless there is a storm nearby. In most places in Fla the water will still

be
30' deep or so. You can get in a lot more trouble in the great lakes and I
don't see people saying you can't run a pontoon there.
Weather is always a factor on the water, no matter where you run.

Greg

I see a whole lot more
around Ft. Myers Beach in Florida.

It is the perfect boat if you hang out in the bays but there are still plenty
of guys who run out to the artificial reefs in them.
I am not talking about sailing to CanCun or Key West. I assumed we were just
talking about a short ride a few miles out in the gulf on a calm winter day.
CaptMP

As some one who grew up on the Gulf (Treasure Island, Maderia Beach, Reddington
Beach...etc) belive me, the "shallow water" alluded to in the last post can get
you in big trouble as the seas can quickly build into a steep short period
chop. Rea steep. Real quick. Very short period. Granted the squall mabe
lasts a half hour but it's a white knuckled half hour!
Take care
Mike

going a few miles
offshore they are not going to see the pounding waves you see in the ocean
unless there is a storm nearby. In most places in Fla the water will still be
30' deep or so. You can get in a lot more trouble in the great lakes and I
don't see people saying you can't run a pontoon there.
Weather is always a factor on the water, no matter where you run.

Greg

From what I am reading I assume everyone in the Gulf must be running 25' boats
or larger. I will certainly go anywhere in my pontoon boat someone in a 17' bow
rider will go and I will get back alive.

Paul Schilter

Greg,
I agree completely. Furthest out I usually went was about four miles
because that afforded us privacy. Never felt comfortable enough to try
diving the barges which I was told were about ten miles out. In calm seas
they're great, in a three foot chop they're wet and cold. In the bays you
can't get more bank for the buck. BTW - Happy holidays to you and yours.
Paul

"Greg" wrote in message
I see a whole lot more
around Ft. Myers Beach in Florida.

It is the perfect boat if you hang out in the bays but there are still

plenty
of guys who run out to the artificial reefs in them.
I am not talking about sailing to CanCun or Key West. I assumed we were

just
talking about a short ride a few miles out in the gulf on a calm winter

day.

Greg

I don't know what you be smoking, but around here, the water is 80' deep a
couple of miles out in the gulf, and 20 or so you hit the 50-fathom curve.

Its ~70 miles to the Desoto Canyon, which for all intents and purposes is a
bottomless pit - 2000+.

I suppose it all depends on where "here" is but if you look on the chart you
will see that 6 miles out from Big Carlos Pass is about 30 feet and that is
twice as far as we were talking about.
Guys who go out 70 miles in 24' center consoles wash up on the beach in Cape
Canaveral, what's your point?
Greg

If Big Carlos is kicked up I run into the beach on the south side, run just
outside the Lover's Key swim markers and cut through behind the bar.