Default full enclosure, zipper sides or maybe even tent for 99 Bayliner Capri 18 foot

Hello.

I'm just about to buy this boat. Fell for the great design and saw the
potential for enclosing the boat for living space at the dock some
nights.

I've seen a few boats for sale with full enclosures, but can't find
any manufacture web sites.

Some dumb questions from somebody who know little to nothing about
this boat and general boating.

1. I'm in south florida, and I've been to docks at night and always
find the coast down here to be very pleasant and windy at night. Is
sleeping on a boat with exposure to the outside pleasant or will it
just be hot, sticky and bug infested - like my back yard?

2. Will enclosing the boat make it even more hot an sticky? Any AC
option - really just one night, read something about a cooler AC that
works with IC and 12volts? any good? How about rain and enclosures?

3. Do they make enclosures that are more like tent material on the
side, out of light materials that attach to canvas bimini top? This
would be awsome.

4. I always see docks at the hotels and private places in the keys and
people using those docks for night stays. How does that work? Say the
Westin Hotel on MM76.. What can I expect to pay if not staying the
hotel to tie up for the night. Is it safe? What about the state parks
like Pennecamp, how to drop in, leave trailer, stay the night in the
dock? Do people do this?

I've got so many question... and actually I'm closing the deal on
Tuesday night (Saturday night now) and am looking for an expierenced
boater who knows boats and engines to inpect the boat for me and give
me a two hour training. I will pay for this service to any qualified
person who is interested - If I don't hear back by Monday afternoon I
plan to call West Marine and find somebody to help out.

Many Many thanks to anybody who can help out with these questions!
jchaplain

On 22 Nov 2003 19:40:33 -0800, wrote:

[...]

Be sure you have the boat inspected before you buy it.

You need a camper convas on the boat. A lighter material will get
ripped to shreads in high winds. Lighter materials work well on small
dome tents, but heavier material is needed on larger structures.

It will get hot when you enlocse a boat on a hot day, sure. Just like
camping with tents. A bit less usually with boats as you are on the
water. Camper canvas sets usually have screen windows. Coolers with
fans and ice work, but ice can be a cherished commodity on the water
unless you are very near stores or marinas to buy more.

You can pay for slips at hotels, probably about 50-100 buck a night or
do what I usually do- find a good spot to throw anchor overnight in a
bay. I trailer my boat, and I leave the truck and trailer at the boat
ramp for a week at a time. Some ramps allow this, some don't. You have
to check.

I hope it works out for you. Welcome to boating and I hope have a big
wallet! Don't skimp on safety equipment.

John C.
John Gaquin

wrote...

I've got so many question... and actually I'm closing the deal on
Tuesday night (Saturday night now) and am looking for an expierenced
boater who knows boats and engines to inpect the boat for me and give
me a two hour training.

What you're looking for is called a marine survey. Look in the phone book
under "marine surveyors", or search the web, or call a surveyor in south FL
that someone here will no doubt suggest. I hope you've made your purchase
agreement contingent upon satisfactory survey results. Without this, buying
a boat is like buying a house without any sort of inspection, only about 10
times worse.

JG