Mic

Default Free 1960 28' Triton Pearson - Link

"FREE 1960 28' Pearson Triton PROJECT
We are looking for a home for a 1960 Pearson Triton, Hull #69. I'll
be honest, this is a real project boat. It is free for who ever will
come haul it out of our back yard and we will throw in the 5
boatstands it is sitting on. This boat is a COMPLETE REBUILD, mostly
what you would be getting is a sound hull, but it's a big job to be
sure."

http://blog.oldragbaggersonline.com/

There are quite a few detail images of the Trition

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXx

http://www.atomvoyages.com/

"Atom's Virtual Homeport contains stories and scenes from over 20
years and two voyages around the world seeking adventure aboard our
28-foot Pearson Triton sailboat, Atom. "

This is a link that may provide more info on the Trition

The follwing links are sites that have refit/rebuild info on the
Triton and are some of the best such sites on the net.

http://www.triton381.com/forum/

http://www.triton381.com/

Mic'67

http://www.dasein668.com/

why don't you post this on the sailnet pearson group? I'm sure that
would be some interest.

Ed Reiss
P33-2 36
Being there

Wayne.B

On 6 Feb 2006 15:06:23 -0800, "
wrote:

why don't you post this on the sailnet pearson group? I'm sure that
would be some interest.

Or on "rec.boats.building"

Clapped out boats of that era are basically negative value, meaning
that it costs more to fix them up than they are worth. The most
valuable part is probably the keel which can be sold as scrap lead but
then you have to pay to dump everything else.

On the other hand it might be of some value to an armchair sailor who
dreams of faraway places. If they actually owned something that
vaguely resembled a boat, they could argue that they will someday take
off in it once they have the time/money/opportunity, etc.

Capt. JG

"Wayne.B" wrote in message
On 6 Feb 2006 15:06:23 -0800, "
wrote:

why don't you post this on the sailnet pearson group? I'm sure that
would be some interest.

Or on "rec.boats.building"

Clapped out boats of that era are basically negative value, meaning
that it costs more to fix them up than they are worth. The most
valuable part is probably the keel which can be sold as scrap lead but
then you have to pay to dump everything else.

On the other hand it might be of some value to an armchair sailor who
dreams of faraway places. If they actually owned something that
vaguely resembled a boat, they could argue that they will someday take
off in it once they have the time/money/opportunity, etc.

Hey, not necessarily armchair. I bought an 64 Cal 20, which was in not much
better shape, fixed her up, sailed her for a couple of years, then sold her
for some nice change, but you're right, it was a loser financially. I didn't
mind. It was a great experience fixing her and sailing her. It was worth the
small cost in $$s.

I'm not sure I want to totally repeat that with a larger boat, but I don't
mind doin some fixin if there's a payoff.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Mic

On Mon, 6 Feb 2006 19:04:30 -0800, "Capt. JG"
wrote:

Hey, not necessarily armchair. I bought an 64 Cal 20, which was in not much
better shape, fixed her up, sailed her for a couple of years, then sold her
for some nice change, but you're right, it was a loser financially. I didn't
mind. It was a great experience fixing her and sailing her. It was worth the
small cost in $$s.

I'm not sure I want to totally repeat that with a larger boat, but I don't
mind doin some fixin if there's a payoff.

The Triton is a rather special boat and should anyone read the links
provided from the owners and the fact that this boat was built by one
of the top 6 sailboat designers, it is timeless. Tim, the owner of
triton 381 is a marine surveyor that did a total rebuild and then
bought a second one and did the samething called "the daysailor"
which, when it was supposedly sold, went for about the same price as a
new 27' pacific seacraft . The tritons were build by 2 different
companies one east coast US, one west coast. Of all the sailboats of
that particular era the Triton is the top of the list for being
refurb. and then the Ariel and just about every Alberg designed boat,
just look at the owners associations of these boats. Who comes close
to building a similar boat today like the Triton? What would it cost
to build a hull like that today, either as a one off or in a
production capacity?

"Heck is a place for people who don't believe in Gosh."

Mic'67

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

DSK

Mic wrote:
The Triton is a rather special boat

*Every* boat is a rather special boat.

Tritons are cramped & slow & don't handle well. On the plus
side, they're very seakindly and they have the definitive
"look" evocative of their era.

....Of all the sailboats of
that particular era the Triton is the top of the list for being
refurb.

Not surprising. There were a lot (comparatively) of them
built & sold, so they're plentiful on the market.

... Who comes close
to building a similar boat today like the Triton?

Who comes close to building a fighter plane like the Sopwith
Camel? Or a car like the Model T?

... What would it cost
to build a hull like that today

A mold, a lot of cloth, a lot of resin, and a willingness to
get all icky while breathing unhealthy fumes.

It's easy to get carried away with romantic idealization.
And far be it from me to say it's a bad thing. But don't
mistake other people romantic fantasies for reality, it will
bite you where it hurts.

Modern boats are faster, better handling, more
comfortable... many of them are better built, some of them
are more seaworthy no matter how you define the term. If you
want to glorify the good old days, above all other
considerations, you end up sailing a square rigger.

The Triton can be a very nice boat. I salute anybody who
takes one from a bare hull & works it up to a working
cruising vessel... a very worthwhile accomplishment. I'd
also suggest that goin in, they be careful & coldly
realistic in assessing how much the project is going to
cost; and that they be cavalier about the price once it's
finished. Same with any boat restoration... some would call
what we're going thru a 'restoration' although the boat was
in good sound working order when we bought it.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

Mic

On Tue, 07 Feb 2006 08:46:46 -0500, DSK wrote:

Mic wrote:
The Triton is a rather special boat

*Every* boat is a rather special boat.

Well considering that there is no other boat of that era that so many
make the effort to preserve, some are more special than others.

Tritons are cramped & slow & don't handle well. On the plus
side, they're very seakindly and they have the definitive
"look" evocative of their era.

The plus side outweighs the other aspects from a crusing point of view
as decided by the many budget cruisers that choose them.

....Of all the sailboats of
that particular era the Triton is the top of the list for being
refurb.

Not surprising. There were a lot (comparatively) of them
built & sold, so they're plentiful on the market.

Possibly so, but what other boat of today is comparable? Those that
have them and those that want them see value in them and not just as a
piece of history.

... Who comes close
to building a similar boat today like the Triton?

Who comes close to building a fighter plane like the Sopwith
Camel? Or a car like the Model T?

Thats not really a fair comparison per say when it come to
practicality or useage.

... What would it cost
to build a hull like that today

A mold, a lot of cloth, a lot of resin, and a willingness to
get all icky while breathing unhealthy fumes.

It's easy to get carried away with romantic idealization.
And far be it from me to say it's a bad thing. But don't
mistake other people romantic fantasies for reality, it will
bite you where it hurts.

The practical reality, paticularly the time and cost of restoration of
any boat is usually the determining factor. If you see the value in
the design and seek to enjoy such, in a practical manner what are the
current options to a boat like this?

Modern boats are faster, better handling, more
comfortable... many of them are better built, some of them
are more seaworthy no matter how you define the term. If you
want to glorify the good old days, above all other
considerations, you end up sailing a square rigger.

Given the cost of reproducing a Trition today and the likely lack of
mass market for such it reason why there is no comparable. Sure there
are faster, better handling and more creature comforts but as you said
only "some of them are more seaworthy".

The Triton can be a very nice boat. I salute anybody who
takes one from a bare hull & works it up to a working
cruising vessel... a very worthwhile accomplishment. I'd
also suggest that goin in, they be careful & coldly
realistic in assessing how much the project is going to
cost; and that they be cavalier about the price once it's
finished.

From the Trition owners association there is an undoubted passion in
maintaining that design probably more than any other than I have seen
or know of.

Probably the largest sailboat market is in used boats by far and of a
particular size, price and age. When you look at a 20 year plus boat
and what needs to be replace vs what ought to be replaced do these
boats have the value of their price? Price is often a reflection of
location with as much if not more than a 100% plus difference of those
that are comparable.

It isnt easy to determine the value of an older used boat other than
what the average of the market says and in this instance every boat is
special.

When you figure all of the above the true market value ought to be
less than what it is? Thats not to say there isnt many preceived
reasonable points of view based subjectively or objectively. But any
foreray into pleasure sailing can be viewed as "romantic" and or
challenging and the very reasons why people do it. And if not, what
could the possible reasons be?

I think it is interesting that those who are offering the free triton
choose a cape dory, at a cost and expense, that needs work instead.
How much of that was economic based vs other considerations?

Mic'67
DSK

Mic wrote:
The plus side outweighs the other aspects from a crusing point of view
as decided by the many budget cruisers that choose them.

Not really... if you look at the numbers, you'll find
Hunters & Catalinas in the same price bracket are more popular.

....Of all the sailboats of
that particular era the Triton is the top of the list for being
refurb.

Not surprising. There were a lot (comparatively) of them
built & sold, so they're plentiful on the market.

Possibly so, but what other boat of today is comparable?

Comparable in what way?

It's certainly a good looking boat, but I like the looks of
the Dufour Arpege and the Aphrodite 101 and most Doug
Peterson designs. It's a subjective matter.

... Who comes close
to building a similar boat today like the Triton?

Who comes close to building a fighter plane like the Sopwith
Camel? Or a car like the Model T?

Thats not really a fair comparison per say when it come to
practicality or useage.

Sure it is. An air force equipped with Sopwith Camels would
not be as formidable as one equipped with F-16s, but it's
better than nothing. And I happen to know a guy who drives
to work most days in a Model T... original engine too. I
think it helps him get motivated to actually go to work at all.

It's easy to get carried away with romantic idealization.
And far be it from me to say it's a bad thing. But don't
mistake other people romantic fantasies for reality, it will
bite you where it hurts.

The practical reality, paticularly the time and cost of restoration of
any boat is usually the determining factor.

Now there, I disagree. Restoring a boat is usually a losing
proposition in time & cost. It's a very impractical thing to
to do, when there are boats already in sailable condition on
the market for less money.

But clearly, they're not as attractive to the restorer.

... If you see the value in
the design and seek to enjoy such, in a practical manner what are the
current options to a boat like this?

There are a couple of worthwhile boats of the same era, and
usually more than one Triton on the market. If that's the
course you're determined to go, then the practical thing is
to meet somebody who's already done it, sail with them,
inspect their boat carefully while they tell you what they
did... maybe bum a few tools from them... then shop around
as carefully as possible as well as hunting thru boatyard
back-lots.

It's amazing how many people sieze on the first boat that
comes along, and convince themselves that it's by far the
best alternative, and of course they have no idea what the
alternatives are or would cost so it's an easy sell.

Modern boats are faster, better handling, more
comfortable... many of them are better built, some of them
are more seaworthy no matter how you define the term. If you
want to glorify the good old days, above all other
considerations, you end up sailing a square rigger.

Given the cost of reproducing a Trition today and the likely lack of
mass market for such it reason why there is no comparable.

Yep. If there was a market, somebody would probably be
making Tritons.

.... Sure there
are faster, better handling and more creature comforts but as you said
only "some of them are more seaworthy".

Sturgeon's Law: "At least 90% of everything is crap." Just
because it is old-fashioned, doesn't make it automatically
more seaworthy. Seakindly, yes, that's a different thing.

Seaworthiness is an illusive thing to define, and it tends
to mean different things to different people. Frankly I tend
to regard offshore racers as the most seaworthy, since they
tend to sail for fun in worst conditions than most cruisers
venture out in. And I have yet to see a cruising vessel
equipped to ORC Cat 0.

From the Trition owners association there is an undoubted passion in
maintaining that design probably more than any other than I have seen
or know of.

You should get out more, then. Every single one-design
commands slavish devotion in it's owners.

Probably the largest sailboat market is in used boats by far and of a
particular size, price and age.

Not probably, definitely. Although this is a recent
happening, the NMMA says that the total value of used boats
sold is greater than new, I believe this happened in 2004
and has been true since.

It isnt easy to determine the value of an older used boat other than
what the average of the market says and in this instance every boat is
special.

That's very true.

When you figure all of the above the true market value ought to be
less than what it is?

I think so, but then I'm a cynic. I've also only bought one
boat new in my life, and felt that it wasn't worth the price
either. Enought things wrong with it to get PO'd at, and no
moron previous owner to blame.

... Thats not to say there isnt many preceived
reasonable points of view based subjectively or objectively. But any
foreray into pleasure sailing can be viewed as "romantic" and or
challenging and the very reasons why people do it. And if not, what
could the possible reasons be?

Agreed 110%. And well said.

I think it is interesting that those who are offering the free triton
choose a cape dory, at a cost and expense, that needs work instead.
How much of that was economic based vs other considerations?

Don't know. From what I read of the web site you gave link
to, it was largely economic as they found so much needed
replacing on the "free" Triton and less on the Cape Dory. It
may also be a matter of time, that they saw themselves
getting out on the water much sooner in the Cape Dory.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

Mic

Mic wrote:
The plus side outweighs the other aspects from a crusing point of view
as decided by the many budget cruisers that choose them.

Not really... if you look at the numbers, you'll find
Hunters & Catalinas in the same price bracket are more popular.

Yep.... and why are they more popular? They are certainly not that
many around from even at the end of the Triton era, yet even in the
used market they sell realtively fast. One thing about the catalina
you can get catalina parts for them and many if not all of the system
drawings, possibly one reason for their popularity and of course their
original selling price. From my research most of the GRP pre 1970 are
bristols, tartans, tritons, cals for a particular reason.

....Of all the sailboats of
that particular era the Triton is the top of the list for being
refurb.

Not surprising. There were a lot (comparatively) of them
built & sold, so they're plentiful on the market.

Possibly so, but what other boat of today is comparable?

Comparable in what way?

Well overbuilt for one with little or no oil canning, full keel for
that size of boat, provisions for an OB in a well

[...]

Humm... that can be said of various sports too..... like seeing a game
at an arena vs FTA TV.

Those who decide to restore a boat can be of similar value to actually
sailing it, certainly not for all. The true currency of life is time
and the value is the enjoyment of the time spent. If restoring a boat
is as you say it is why do so many do it? Although there are more
that dont than do. Look at Tim Lackey the surveyor and those group of
Trition and Ariel owners ++.

But clearly, they're not as attractive to the restorer.

... If you see the value in
the design and seek to enjoy such, in a practical manner what are the
current options to a boat like this?

There are a couple of worthwhile boats of the same era, and
usually more than one Triton on the market. If that's the
course you're determined to go, then the practical thing is
to meet somebody who's already done it, sail with them,
inspect their boat carefully while they tell you what they
did... maybe bum a few tools from them... then shop around
as carefully as possible as well as hunting thru boatyard
back-lots.

I guess my point is that the Triton in particular is more worthy of
restoration than any other of that era in my opinion and seemingly
many others.

It's amazing how many people sieze on the first boat that
comes along, and convince themselves that it's by far the
best alternative, and of course they have no idea what the
alternatives are or would cost so it's an easy sell.

Well yes and no for the most part many makes and brands of boats are
specific to a region or particular boat centers of about less than 12
in the US and less than about 6 in Canada. For instance for a Cal 27
to become available in this region would be rare and exceptional. The
alternative would be a C & C, Grampian, CS, S2. To a large degree
every boat is a compromise. I think that those that buy used dont
necessary end up with the make they were looking for to begin with.
The cost of buying a boat from a different region in terms of cost, in
many instances just doesnt make sense economically.

Modern boats are faster, better handling, more
comfortable... many of them are better built, some of them
are more seaworthy no matter how you define the term. If you
want to glorify the good old days, above all other
considerations, you end up sailing a square rigger.

Given the cost of reproducing a Trition today and the likely lack of
mass market for such it reason why there is no comparable.

Yep. If there was a market, somebody would probably be
making Tritons.

Seems the market calls for the catalinas and hunters which seems to
make boats these days almost on a per order basis, as in "just in time
production" which seems to make sense.

.... Sure there
are faster, better handling and more creature comforts but as you said
only "some of them are more seaworthy".

Sturgeon's Law: "At least 90% of everything is crap." Just
because it is old-fashioned, doesn't make it automatically
more seaworthy. Seakindly, yes, that's a different thing.

Maybe so but the tartans, bristols, tritons and contessa's given the
maintance are time proven seaworthy.

Seaworthiness is an illusive thing to define, and it tends
to mean different things to different people. Frankly I tend
to regard offshore racers as the most seaworthy, since they
tend to sail for fun in worst conditions than most cruisers
venture out in. And I have yet to see a cruising vessel
equipped to ORC Cat 0.

From the Trition owners association there is an undoubted passion in