posted to rec.boats.electronics

Default Raymarine and third party equipment via NMEA gives problem

I try to connect AIS and my SIMRAD Dataline-X equipment (Depth,
Waterspeed and Wind) to my raymarine C80 via the NMEA port.

I have a multiple baud rate NMEA multiplexer (shipmodul-type minplex-
AIS)

The signals which are multiplexed a
AIS 38400 coming from my AIS receiver
and
SIMRAD Dataline-X data coming from the databox with a baudrate of
4800.

These signals are multiplexed on my multple baudrate multiplexer of
which the output has a baudrate of 38400.
The plotter is also configured for 38400 offcourse.
The have a file as an example of the output of the multiplexer at
38400!

This output is presented to the plotter.
On the plotter I get:
AIS signals which are fine
Water temperature coming from the SIMRAD equipment (so wiring is OK)
But no depth, logspeed and wind information although they are present
at the output side of the multiplxer (see attached file)

I hope somebody has an answer why this problem occurs!

Regards

Willem
posted to rec.boats.electronics

Water temperature coming from the SIMRAD equipment (so wiring is OK)
But no depth, logspeed and wind information although they are present
at the output side of the multiplxer (see attached file)

Try it with just the SIMRAD connected to the C-80. It may be possible that
the Simrad is sending a format the C-80 can't use.

That and have you asked Simrad?

On 9 apr, 21:35, "Bill Kearney" wrote:
Water temperature coming from the SIMRAD equipment (so wiring is OK)
But no depth, logspeed and wind information although they are present
at the output side of the multiplxer (see attached file)

Try it with just the SIMRAD connected to the C-80. *It may be possible that
the Simrad is sending a format the C-80 can't use.

That and have you asked Simrad?

Thanks Bill, happy with any suggestion!
I did not aks SIMRAD, but I checked the specifications and it's
sending NMEA 0183.
If I sent it to my PC (SeaClear program) it displays al the data.
But it is possible ofcourse that the C80 does not recognise the
sentences. I wil check your suggestion. But if so, how can I solve it.
Somebody recomended to use the Seatalk port, but I do not know if do
not get the same problems then; and I have first to buy a NMEA-
Seatalk interface.

Any other suggestions?
posted to rec.boats.electronics
WBH WBH is offline

"WillemdeNie" wrote in message

| I try to connect AIS and my SIMRAD Dataline-X equipment (Depth,
| Waterspeed and Wind) to my raymarine C80 via the NMEA port.
|
| I have a multiple baud rate NMEA multiplexer (shipmodul-type minplex-
| AIS)
|
| The signals which are multiplexed a
| AIS 38400 coming from my AIS receiver
| and
| SIMRAD Dataline-X data coming from the databox with a baudrate of
| 4800.
|
| These signals are multiplexed on my multple baudrate multiplexer of
| which the output has a baudrate of 38400.
| The plotter is also configured for 38400 offcourse.
| The have a file as an example of the output of the multiplexer at
| 38400!
|
| This output is presented to the plotter.
| On the plotter I get:
| AIS signals which are fine
| Water temperature coming from the SIMRAD equipment (so wiring is OK)
| But no depth, logspeed and wind information although they are present
| at the output side of the multiplxer (see attached file)
|
| I hope somebody has an answer why this problem occurs!
|
| Regards
|
| Willem

Check which NMEA 0183 version is used by the Simrad Dataline equipment. If
e.g. the NMEA sentence for depth is the older DBS, it may well be that the
C80 does not recognize it, because the C-series expect NMEA 0183 Version
3.01. The depth sentence for version 3.01 is DPT. Similar incompatibility
may exist for Wind data sentences (old VWR/VWT sentences).
If you had used a Brookhouse multiplexer, you could have converted the older
sentence types to version 3.01 in the multiplexer.
Another possible cause may be that the Simrad equipment does not add a
checksum to the sentences. Again, this can be added by a Brookhouse
multiplexer.
You cannot attach files to NG postings, but you can send your NMEA data file
to my email address and I'll have a look.

Wout

On 10 apr, 07:09, "WBH" wrote:
"WillemdeNie" wrote in message

| I try to connect AIS and my SIMRAD Dataline-X equipment (Depth,
| Waterspeed and Wind) to my raymarine C80 via the NMEA port.
|
| I have a multiple baud rate NMEA multiplexer (shipmodul-type minplex-
| AIS)
|
| The signals which are multiplexed a
| AIS 38400 coming from my AIS receiver
| and
| SIMRAD Dataline-X data coming from the databox with a baudrate of
| 4800.
|
| These signals are multiplexed on my multple baudrate multiplexer of
| which the output has a baudrate of 38400.
| The plotter is also configured for 38400 offcourse.
| The have a file as an example of the output of the multiplexer at
| 38400!
|
| This output is presented to the plotter.
| On the plotter I get:
| AIS signals which are fine
| Water temperature coming from the SIMRAD equipment (so wiring is OK)
| But no depth, logspeed and wind information although they are present
| at the output side of the multiplxer (see attached file)
|
| I hope somebody has an answer why this problem occurs!
|
| Regards
|
| Willem

Check which NMEA 0183 version is used by the Simrad Dataline equipment. If
e.g. the NMEA sentence for depth is the older DBS, it may well be that the
C80 does not recognize it, because the C-series expect NMEA 0183 Version
3.01. The depth sentence for version 3.01 is DPT. Similar incompatibility
may exist for Wind data sentences (old VWR/VWT sentences).
If you had used a Brookhouse multiplexer, you could have converted the older
sentence types to version 3.01 in the multiplexer.
Another possible cause may be that the Simrad equipment does not add a
checksum to the sentences. Again, this can be added by a Brookhouse
multiplexer.
You cannot attach files to NG postings, but you can send your NMEA data file
to my email address and I'll have a look.

Wout

Thanks!
I am going to play around today and try to find a solution. I have
sent you the file per mail.
Willem

On 10 apr, 08:39, WillemdeNie wrote:
On 10 apr, 07:09, "WBH" wrote:

"WillemdeNie" wrote in message

| I try to connect AIS and my SIMRAD Dataline-X equipment (Depth,
| Waterspeed and Wind) to my raymarine C80 via the NMEA port.
|
| I have a multiple baud rate NMEA multiplexer (shipmodul-type minplex-
| AIS)
|
| The signals which are multiplexed a
| AIS 38400 coming from my AIS receiver
| and
| SIMRAD Dataline-X data coming from the databox with a baudrate of
| 4800.
|
| These signals are multiplexed on my multple baudrate multiplexer of
| which the output has a baudrate of 38400.
| The plotter is also configured for 38400 offcourse.
| The have a file as an example of the output of the multiplexer at
| 38400!
|
| This output is presented to the plotter.
| On the plotter I get:
| AIS signals which are fine
| Water temperature coming from the SIMRAD equipment (so wiring is OK)
| But no depth, logspeed and wind information although they are present
| at the output side of the multiplxer (see attached file)
|
| I hope somebody has an answer why this problem occurs!
|
| Regards
|
| Willem

Check which NMEA 0183 version is used by the Simrad Dataline equipment. If
e.g. the NMEA sentence for depth is the older DBS, it may well be that the
C80 does not recognize it, because the C-series expect NMEA 0183 Version
3.01. The depth sentence for version 3.01 is DPT. Similar incompatibility
may exist for Wind data sentences (old VWR/VWT sentences).
If you had used a Brookhouse multiplexer, you could have converted the older
sentence types to version 3.01 in the multiplexer.
Another possible cause may be that the Simrad equipment does not add a
checksum to the sentences. Again, this can be added by a Brookhouse
multiplexer.
You cannot attach files to NG postings, but you can send your NMEA data file
to my email address and I'll have a look.

Wout

Thanks!
I am going to play around today and try to find a solution. I have
sent you the file per mail.
Willem- Tekst uit oorspronkelijk bericht niet weergeven -

- Tekst uit oorspronkelijk bericht weergeven -

Finally I did not succeed to find a solution, Support from Raymarine
and Holland Nautic were very unsatisfying! I found a solution by using
a NMEA-SeaTalk interface.