seawitch

Default band saw anda planer

I'm on the market for a band saw and a planer , any suggestion witch
is a good one with out braking the bank, but have a good tool.?

Brian Nystrom

seawitch wrote:
I'm on the market for a band saw and a planer , any suggestion witch
is a good one with out braking the bank, but have a good tool.?

If you don't need more than 13" capacity, Dewalt planers are excellent.
Rigid planers have also been highly rated lately. Powermatic makes
excellent jointers that have longer beds than most competitors, but they
aren't especially cheap. If cost is a real issue, Grizzly sells good
tools at reasonable prices.

BTW, Fine Woodworking's Tool Guide is out now, so you might want to
check it out before making a purchase.
Brian Nystrom

Default band saw anda planer - Oops!

I guess I'm so used to thinking of "jointer and planer" together that I
screwed up in my last post. I've owned three inexpensive band saws and I
can honestly say that they all pretty well sucked. Inexpensive cast
frames are generally poorly aligned, which means lots of fun getting
them set up properly and constant guide adjustments when you change the
upper guide height. I won't buy another cheap cast-frame saw.

Welded steel frames seem to be the way to go. The most interesting
lower-end band saw that I've seen recently is the 14" Rikon for under
$500. It appears to be well made and comes with welded steel
construction, roller bearing guides, dual dust ports, 1 HP motor, easy
access doors, storage in the cabinet and other features found in
higher-end saws. Frankly, it looks better than Delta saws costing twice
the price.

http://rikontools.com/images/SellSheets/14BS_10-320.pdf

If you need something larger, their 18"/2 HP saw is equally impressive
for under a grand and Fine Woodworking rated it as their "Best Value"
last year.

http://rikontools.com/images/SellSheets/18BS_10-340.pdf

Again, Grizzly makes some nice saws.

Of course, nothing beats a Laguna, if you can swing the price.