MLapla4120

Default Westsail32 vs. Ranger 33 , which would you like to own?

Hi,
I currently own a Westsail 32 and have been doing alot on it to improve it
and getting it ready for cruising. Recently, I read a kind of 'rave' article
about
the Ranger 33 in Latitude 38. That's a free sail mag here in the Bay Area of
San Francisco. Then, I went on www.yachtworld.com to see what the prices
were for these boats. I was amazed at how cheap they are. At least compared
to Westsails.
I know they are different types of boats, etc. The westsail is a heavy
displacement double-ender.
What I was thinking was getting out of the Westsail and into a Ranger
that was well-equipped, had a recent paint, and newer motor. The Westsail
I own needs new standing rigging, mast restepping with new paint and
reinforcement beam in the cabin. The engine is old.
What would I be giving up? I paid $37,000 for the westsail 32 and have
put in about $10,000 so far. The Ranger 33's I saw were going for about
16-22 grand, and some of them seem to be in good shape and well-maintained.
I would like to cruise and live-aboard in the future.

Thanks in advance,
Mark

Like most situations, this is entirely dependent on what you intend to
do. A buddy of mine owned a Ranger 33 and loved it, but curiously
moved to a 40' steel ketch after a year. He lived aboard the Ranger
and found it simply too confining. He's 6'3", so that may have been
the issue.

The Ranger is a great coastal/lake boat. Fast and points higher than a
Wetsnail. I own a Viking 33, a similar if slightly "racier" boat of
the same era.

I would no doubt love a Ranger 33, but would I take one world
cruising? No. Too tender, not enough stowage, and just not bulletproof
enough for me to consider taking offshore. Great weekender, however,
club racers, and coastal/Great Lakes boats. They are older boats,
however, and usually need work if they've seen hard action.

Westsail 32s, however, can and do regularly go around the world. Not
overly quickly, mind you, but frequently single-handedly. Along with
Contessas, Bristol Cutters, steel full keelers and a few other
sea-tested designs, the Westsail 32 is proven. Newer, faster fin
keelers might be better overall, but they cost half a million bucks,
don't they?

Check out Ferenc Mate's books on how to creatively retrofit Westsails
and similar designs.

By the way, the sailboat in "The Perfect Storm" was a Westsail 32. In
real life, the real boat ended up on a Maryland beach, was hauled off
by the owner and some volunteers, and, cosmetic damage aside, sailed
off with little problems. It's been sold and continues to sail today.

I don't think anyone's going to say that about a Ranger 33 (or my
boat, either), because Ranger 33s might survive The Perfect Storm, but
their crews probably wouldn't.

My .02

R.

On 07 Aug 2003 23:04:00 GMT, (MLapla4120) wrote:

[...]

Bill

I totally agree. It is apples and oranges. Get the Ranger if you want to
race around the buoys.

I had a friend who had a beautiful Westsail 32 for years. He is in his
seventies and just sold it. Still looks new.

Believe it or not, he won a few PHRF cruising races.

Bill
wrote in message

[...]

MLapla4120

Thanks, you guys pretty much confirmed
my thoughts. I'll just have to get out the
checkbook for the next couple of years.
I was, however, hoping to be cruising sooner.

Mark
MLapla4120

I have and read "From a Bare Hull.

It was okay. Currently, I'm redoing
the forward cabin. I've taken out the
wood and old insulation. I'm down to
bare hull and what shows is the cloth
used in the fiberglass. My plan is
to roll on West System 403, then sand
it down and apply a coat of slightly off
white paint. After that, I'm going to use
velcro to attach closed cell cushions
of half inch thickness (blue). It should
look nice and be low-maintainence.
Another advantage is easy to clean, soft
enough to prevent bruising and easy access to through bolts.
For the ceiling, half inch white starboard
with the occasional teak strip.
Mark

MLapla4120

Subject

You have got to be kidding or you need a better source of dope.

Excuse me, what aspect of my post led you to insinuate that I use dope?
Denis Marier

Should you not be able to afford a Westsail or Ranger what would be the next
best pre owned boat for blue water.
news

--
Lew

S/A: Challenge, The Bullet Proof Boat, (Under Construction in the

Southland)
Visit: http://home.earthlink.net/~lewhodgett for Pictures

Frank and Ronnie Maier

"Denis Marier" wrote:
Should you not be able to afford a Westsail or Ranger what would be the next
best pre owned boat for blue water.

Rangers ain't exactly expensive. Just how low a price range are we
talking about?

Frank (In the interest of full disclosure, I didn't participate in the
basic thread here 'cause I wouldn't own a Westsail at any price; so my
opinion is infinitely biased in favor of Ranger in this comparison.)