Default Cape Dory 25

Anyone here with first hand experience with a Cape Dory 25? I'm looking for
a second time at one this weekend and will most likely make an offer. It's a
'73 in fair condition. I'm wondering about inherent flaws and known defects.
Cheers...Danny

Danny wrote:
Anyone here with first hand experience with a Cape Dory 25? I'm looking for
a second time at one this weekend and will most likely make an offer. It's a
'73 in fair condition. I'm wondering about inherent flaws and known defects.
Cheers...Danny

I once was the Cape Dory dealer for SoCal, but my memory is sketchy. I
think there were two basic models. One had diesel and was more a long
distance boat where the original had an Universal petrol engine. Going
by memory, all 73's were petrol which, IMO, is a defect right there. The
boats are solid not very fast, but had no inherent defects such as
weaknesses in the hull or rigging. Of course, such an old boat may have
anything bad going.

The petrol boats were very inexpensive. I would suppose $7k would buy an
excellent one. Diesels or one refitted with a D would sell for much more
and IMO, be worth much more.

-paul

Danny wrote:
Anyone here with first hand experience with a Cape Dory 25? I'm looking for
a second time at one this weekend and will most likely make an offer. It's a
'73 in fair condition. I'm wondering about inherent flaws and known defects.
Cheers...Danny

Danny

The Capr Dory 25 is a sweet boat for singlehander or 2 people. not fast
but it will get you where you want to go. It has a 3 ft draft. so can
go into fairly shallow waters. it is a bit tender, is heels easily but
stiffens up nicely at about 10degrees. Accomodations are limited with a
vberth up front a setee and galley, no standing room unless you are on
the short side.

It was in built in 2 versions the 25 and thje 25D . the 25 has a well
for an outboard motor. The 25D has a small deisel engine, im a tad
beamier and has a bit more room in the accomodation. I like the 25 but
then the only time I ever use the motor is to get into or out of a
dock.

On the east coast you can pick up a 25 in good shape for about 6k and a
25D for about 7-8k.

As far as things to watch for. of course the normal, hull for
blisters,. check the deck for possible delamination, make sure that
there are NO cracks in the fiberglass on the doghouse...its a huge
repair job.

Phil

..

Thanks all for the comments.

This one indeed has some substantial cracks in the dog house sliding cover
and evidence of leaks around it for a long time. The full keel bothers me as
we sail on the Columbia River. Full keel boats rarely sail to weather well
and that seems to be all we do here. The area around the engine cover has
substantial cracks and there appears to be no way to raise the 9 HP out of
the water once under way.
We'll probably pass on this one.

Thanks again.

"Capri" wrote in message
ups.com...

Danny wrote:
[...]

.

Description of a new dory style fishing boat [email protected] General 4 June 6th 06 05:22 PM
FS: Cape Dory 25 D in NY Bobsprit Marketplace 0 February 19th 04 04:13 AM
Cape Dory 36 Wendy Cruising 10 February 10th 04 06:03 PM
FS: Cape Dory Typhoon Sailboat in Port Aransas, TX Ron Ellis Marketplace 0 February 8th 04 06:08 AM