posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats,rec.boats.building

Default Hypalon paint or coating -- any experiences?

I keep reading posts going back years where people say they're going to
try out one or another of the hypalon coatings/paints to spruce up an
old inflatable, but nobody ever gives an update.

So, have any of you ever used one of these coatings (west marine has a
paint, there's another two-stage sealer/topcoat, a two-part catalyzed
hypalon coating, etc.)? I've got a great old tender that still holds
air, but is cosmetically challenged (and leaves blue stains on the
crew's butts).

Thanks to all!

posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats,rec.boats.building
Benbo

wrote in message
ups.com...
I keep reading posts going back years where people say they're going to
try out one or another of the hypalon coatings/paints to spruce up an
old inflatable, but nobody ever gives an update.

So, have any of you ever used one of these coatings (west marine has a
paint, there's another two-stage sealer/topcoat, a two-part catalyzed
hypalon coating, etc.)? I've got a great old tender that still holds
air, but is cosmetically challenged (and leaves blue stains on the
crew's butts).

What's wrong with a blue butt crew?

posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats,rec.boats.building
bushman

wrote in message news:
What is he thinking? I don't know if he used a "proper" paint or
whether the available products are now improved, but that boat looked
so bad that if it were mine I'd toss it into the dumpster and shop for
something a lot less shameful looking.

A perfectly good dink that nobody would steal? Sounds good to me. I had read
about and am considering painting my new dink with several colors of hypalon
paint to make it look patched and old.
What do you think?
- Allen

posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats,rec.boats.building
Leanne

A couple of weeks ago I was in his place, and he had an inflatable that
looked like pure hell.
It had been painted with *something*, and the paint didn't turn out to
be as flexible as the
material underneath. It was cracked, chipped, dirty, and decidedly sad
looking. I was really surprised to learn that the totally un-bristol
cosmetic disaster belongs to a very successful yacht broker. Good
grief! What is he thinking? I don't know if he used a "proper" paint or
whether the available products are now improved, but that boat looked
so bad that if it were mine I'd toss it into the dumpster and shop for
something a lot less shameful looking.

When you dinghy in to the public dock, no one would ever think about
stealing it, as they wouldn't trust it.

Leanne

Leanne wrote:
A couple of weeks ago I was in his place, and he had an inflatable that
looked like pure hell.
It had been painted with *something*, and the paint didn't turn out to
be as flexible as the
material underneath. It was cracked, chipped, dirty, and decidedly sad
looking. I was really surprised to learn that the totally un-bristol
cosmetic disaster belongs to a very successful yacht broker. Good
grief! What is he thinking? I don't know if he used a "proper" paint or
whether the available products are now improved, but that boat looked
so bad that if it were mine I'd toss it into the dumpster and shop for
something a lot less shameful looking.

When you dinghy in to the public dock, no one would ever think about
stealing it, as they wouldn't trust it.

Leanne

It surprises me that dinghy theft isn't a bigger problem, but at least
in the Pacific NW it's fairly rare. We still have $1mm yachts protected
by a $12 Home Depot padlock, and $30,000 dinghies on davits that an
enterprising 12 year old could figure out how to get launched without
"official" access.

I think that boaters in general don't steal from other boaters. Any
theft is likely to be goofy school kids out on a lark.

I think a bicycle lock cable passed through the eye of a cleat and back
through a handle or other solidly affixed fitting on the dinghy would
be a more suitabel deterrent if one were worried bout theft than using
a filthy and decrepit looking dinghy, but I guess that's just me. :-)

Hypalon paint or coating -- any experiences? [email protected] General 5 June 4th 06 05:52 AM
Pleased so far with my new boat paint........ [email protected] General 4 April 29th 06 11:51 AM
Bottom Paint ,,, 20 layers of Bottom Paint ,,, how to remove it. Thomas Wentworth Cruising 33 April 12th 06 12:31 AM
Non skid deck paint RIchard Cruising 13 March 8th 06 07:27 AM
Prop Coating Sailaway Boat Building 10 February 3rd 06 02:34 PM