Patrick Miller

Default dynel tips

Apologies in advance if this topic has been covered before; I'm not a
regular on the list.

I have a small carvel wooden sailing boat (20 footer designed by American
Edward R. Weber in 1955 for the Midget Ocean Racing Club rule but built in
Williamstown Australia as a pocket cruiser). She was Dynel sheathed either
from new (in 1963) or soon thereafter. When I first bought her in 1984 I
very successfully re-sheathed some areas around the garboards where water
had got between the wood and the Dynel/epoxy. I simply ground it back until
I found a good bond, let the wood dry out, then put on new cloth and epoxy.
It has never leaked again.

She is out of the water now and I have had a similar problem with loss of
adhesion along the sheer strake. I've ground it back to sound stuff again
and the wood is drying nicely. I've ordered some Dynel and epoxy.

Trouble is, last time I had some good advice about applying the stuff, but I
don't recall the details (it was nearly twenty years ago) and I don't recall
where the advice came from. Specifically, I seem to remember the advice had
something to do with not allowing the cloth to "float" on top of the epoxy
but making it sit right up against the wood. I also can't remember if I
started with a pre-soaking coat into the wood and then followed up with the
cloth or whether I started with the cloth hung dry and then all the epoxy
worked through it.

I know this must sound crazy, but it was a long time ago, and whatever I did
then WAS a good job. Anyone out there with more live brain cells than me?

David Walker

Hi Patrick ,

You might take a look at this article from Practical Sailor .

http://www.practical-sailor.com/news...7sheathing.pdf

A very informative article about Dynel compared to other fabrics used to
reinforce the epoxy covering on a boat hull.

Also , go to the System Three web site and download their Epoxy Book ( caution
though , it is a 2 Megabyte Adobe .pdf file so it might take some time to down
load ) In its fifty odd pages it gives a good description of how to apply a
fiber sheathing .

http://www.systemthree.com/home_01.html

An alternative would be any good book from the library about boat building with
Stitch and Glue or Wood Strip construction and then covering with epoxy and
fiber glass .

Another brand specific information page ,

http://www.yachtpaint.com/New_Zealan...sheathing.html

Anyway , I've not used Dynel but the Practical Sailor discusses the differences
.. They seem quite similar in installation . But I think the most recommended
steps are
1/ coat the bare wood with a bit of thin epoxy - to seal the wood and keep it
from later sucking up all the epoxy meant to bond down the fiber cloth . let it
cure , full cure if the area to be covered needs the have the cloth massaged to
make it cover the area, but probably ok to proceed right away if the area is a
flat area .
2/ spread the fiber over the area to be covered , wet it out with thin coat of
epoxy , don't put on so much as to float the fiber away from the wood
3/next day start adding additional layers of epoxy to fill in the weave of the
fiber . Two or three coat probably needed .
It is probably a good idea to do this when the temperature of the wood is
dropping or constant rather that temperature rising - as temperature rises air
bubbles will tend to come out of the wood ,

But follow the epoxy brands precautions from the type of epoxy you have already
ordered about applying overcoats as to amine blush , need to wash or sand
between coats etc. they are all different .

Good Luck ,

David

Patrick Miller wrote:

Apologies in advance if this topic has been covered before; I'm not a
regular on the list.

I have a small carvel wooden sailing boat (20 footer .... She was Dynel

Fuel saving tips Gould 0738 General 55 June 5th 04 11:54 PM
General tips needed for first timers news General 5 June 4th 04 06:39 PM
Boat loading tips? Tony Jai General 5 May 17th 04 05:40 PM
Whaler tips Bill Kiene General 3 September 2nd 03 09:33 PM
Buying used tips: 2001 Sea Ray BR 185 General 10 August 4th 03 04:50 AM