adectus

Default offshore fishing

Im thinking about buying a 22 foot proline sport. I will be using
the boat mostly for offshore fishing. Does anyone have experience
with these boats on the open water.

Dan Krueger

I see a lot of them out there!

Dan

adectus wrote:

Im thinking about buying a 22 foot proline sport. I will be using
the boat mostly for offshore fishing. Does anyone have experience
with these boats on the open water.

John H

On Fri, 02 Jan 2004 17:29:11 -0600, adectus
wrote:

Im thinking about buying a 22 foot proline sport. I will be using
the boat mostly for offshore fishing. Does anyone have experience
with these boats on the open water.

I have a 21'er, a 97, which I believe is about the same hull as the
newer 22'ers. I do all my fishing in Chesapeake Bay, and have had it
in some pretty rough stuff there. However, I didn't say I was
comfortable in it. When the chop hits 3ft, the ride is very rough. You
certainly can't plane with chop that high. One to two footers are
fine. Two footers plus are kinda rough, fishable though. Three footers
are fishable, but don't plan on getting home quickly.

Of course, the Bay is not offshore, so the situation may be much
different.

I love the boat though.

John H

On the 'Poco Loco' out of Deale, MD
on the beautiful Chesapeake Bay!
Harry Krause

wrote:

Im thinking about buying a 22 foot proline sport. I will be using
the boat mostly for offshore fishing. Does anyone have experience
with these boats on the open water.

I have a 21'er, a 97, which I believe is about the same hull as the
newer 22'ers. I do all my fishing in Chesapeake Bay, and have had it
in some pretty rough stuff there. However, I didn't say I was
comfortable in it. When the chop hits 3ft, the ride is very rough. You
certainly can't plane with chop that high. One to two footers are
fine. Two footers plus are kinda rough, fishable though. Three footers
are fishable, but don't plan on getting home quickly.

Of course, the Bay is not offshore, so the situation may be much
different.

I love the boat though.

John H

Apparently John H's experience is limited to Chesapeake Bay, where tight
chop is pretty much the norm.

If you're offshore in the usual two to three foot rolling ocean waves,
not chop, you'll learn to run your boat comfortably at planing speeds.
Off the east coast of Florida and South Carolina and Georgia, for
example, you'll find plenty of boats the size of that 22-footer 12 to 40
and even 50 miles offshore on good days when the weather and its changes
are predictable, typically heading out very early in the morning (4 am)
and back in before mid-afternoon, when the thunderbumpers usually start up.

But it is a small boat, and you always have to keep that in mind. If
you're going way offshore, it's a good idea to head out in a small
flotilla of boats, so that if someone has a problem, there's help
readily available.

Tight chop is a different story. It's very hard on the boat and you to
make planing speeds with those kinds of bumps. Even in a large boat.

--
Email sent to is never read.
K Smith

wrote:

[...]

Be very careful listening to this person he's a non boating liar, has
no boat & never has had. He's a clerk in the PR dept of a union own
insurance Co, but has deluded himself & only himself:-) into thinking
his lies are true.

But it is a small boat, and you always have to keep that in mind. If
you're going way offshore, it's a good idea to head out in a small
flotilla of boats, so that if someone has a problem, there's help
readily available.

Tight chop is a different story. It's very hard on the boat and you to
make planing speeds with those kinds of bumps. Even in a large boat.

Exactly as John suggests, there's no may you'll comfortably plane a
small boat in open water, once the wind waves are up around 3 ft. In the
conditions that he descibes with 3ft in a partially smooth bay?? it'll
be very slow gfoing outside on that same sunny day with just 15 kts or
so of breeze.

Ocean swell is very long & doesn't even really repesent a "wave" to a
small boat, but even a moderate breeze will slow 21-22ftrs down & by the
time there's white caps around (start about 12kts well established by
15), which there certainly are if the waves are 3 ft, then you're down
ploughing along nose high stern down trying to stop it pounding but
still make some progress.

Some lower latitiude people go well offshore, but they pick their days
& they oft have very fast boats, so at the first sign that the afternoon
weather is getting up they can run back in, however even those boats
have trouble planing in 3 ft waves, their huge HP is only really useful
in avoiding the weather not dealing with it once they're in it.

Also be aware that once you get a small boat in weather it can remain
relatively safe if properly handled i.e. slow down!!! but the rub is
your mpg performance will be terrible, so lots of the boats you hear
about who run out of fuel?? it's not becasue they left without fuel &
clearly they thought they had enough, but once the weather gets up even
slightly you'll be using heaps ploughing along & playing with the throttle.

I try to keep a little on topic material if possible so .....

PR Contacts

For media inquiries, please contact the individual listed below:

Harry Krause
ULLICO Inc.
(202) 682-7957

Here's some of Harry's lies for you, just to bring back old memories:-)

Just to make your day, not only was
I a civilian employee in SE Asia, it was in Vietnam, it was during the
war against Vietnam, I did see some horrific sights and I was working at
the time for a U.S. general. Is that straightforward enough for you,
John, or is your amoeba still chasing your synapse

I'm doing my part to ease unemployment. I'm hiring another

writer for my staff. Will be putting the ad on MONSTER.COM and in the
Wash Post.

I need more staff because 2004 is a major election year and business
booked to date indicates we'll be drowning in work. We need to hire a
production coordinator, too. It has very little to do with the

state of the economy, other than using it as reason to defeat Republicrap
candidates.

I'm doing my part to ease unemployment. I'm hiring another

writer for my

staff. Will be putting the ad on MONSTER.COM and in the Wash

Post.

We have first-class benefits, including a top-of-the-line health
insurance plan, a non-contributory defined-benefit pension plan, a

401k,
and a life insurance policy equal to annual salary. We contribute a
share of profits to the 401k on behalf of the employee. Our employees
pay $4.50 for generic prescriptions and $8.00 for non-generics, but
that's going up next year to $10 and $15. New employees get two weeks
vacation the first year, and that goes to three weeks the third

year. In
addition, we have 12 paid holidays and we shut down from noon on
Christmas eve to the day after New Year's Day. We also provide 20 days
of paid sick leave a year. And we have an outside company

administering
pre-tax flexible bennies for our employees.
Our fringe benefit package follows the trade union model, except, of
course, for the profit contributions to 401k's. Trade unions are
not-for-profit enterprises.
How do these compare to the bennies at your shop?

Paid? Every year? I call "bull****". With 3 weeks vacation, 12 paid
holidays, and 20 paid sick days that's 47 *paid* days off every

year. Are
they hourly employees? For a "small business", that's the road to
bankruptcy.

Boy...and you had me going there for a minute.

Not quite so simple, though you are trying hard to make it so. Our
business is up because we're on the cusp of an election year. Our
business always goes up in a major election year.
You could say we're going to be doing very well in 2004 because

Bush is
such a total failure.

The 20 paid sick days aren't part of the "paid" days off unless those
days are used. None of our people abuses sick leave. In fact, no

one as
yet has even come close to using 20 sick days in one year. They're

there
in case they're needed.

Oh, I forgot. We also provide everyone with LTD.

The company provides an insurance plan that pays 50% of an employe's
salary for Long Term Disability. Employes have the option of

purchasing
an additional 16.66%, bringing their total to 66.66%. The basic

benefit
maximum is $4,000 per month. With the buy up, the limit is

increased to
$10,000 per month.

Sure. I'm in the market for a new marine diesel of 420-480 shp. I'm

especially
interested in Volvo's TAMD74P EDC, because Volvo has had a lot of

experience
with electronic controls in that size diesel. I've dismissed

getting a Cat 3208
TA because the technology is so old and because a couple of

commercial fishermen
I know who have had 3208's have, basically, burned them out.

Thanks. Yes, Cummins is talked about favorably by some of the guys

I've been
talking to. Most of them have had experience with Cats, especially

the 3208, and
in recent years some have moved to Volvos.

These are commercial fishermen, mostly, running hulls somewhat

similar to what
we're doing.

No, the diesel is for a new boat we're having built.

Hmmm. A fishing/day cruising boat with some range, nice speed, a

real soft ride,
offshore capabilities and sleeping/full head(with standup shower
enclosure)/galley accommodations. Fiberglass, although the

architect did try to
convince me to go with cold-molded wood, which I do like.
More specifically, I suppose, a lobsta' boat, sort of, if that

brings up a
mental image for you.

She'll measure 36' sans a bowsprit x a little more than 12' in beam.

The hull
buttom is built down to the keel. There are no chines.
The hull is efficient at displacement and planing speeds. According

to the hull
builder, if we keep the weight within certain limits, we'll achieve

a WOT of
about 37-38 mph, and a very easy cruise of 30-32 mph on a single

diesel of about
420-450 hp. She'll cruise slow and economically, too.
We expect a very smooooooooooth riding boat, able to take on a big

headsea at a
pretty good clip without beating up the folks inside.
Fitting out a boat like this is going to be an interesting and

stimulating
experience. Basically, we get to spec everything and we end up with

a custom
boat

It's Lou Codega. He's a widely known and respected naval architect. He
does Regulator's hulls, too. He's done the Navigator 37. I believe he's
also done designs for Carolina Classic.

Cummins faxed me a bunch of computer generated data today on engine

choices for

the new boat.

On the 36-footer, 16,000 pounds displacement:

QSM11 635 hp, 36.3 mph WOT, 32.1 mph at sustained cruise, marine

gear ratio of
1.77, turning a four blade 26x35 prop on a 2.50 inch Aquamet 22

shaft. Too much
engine.

QSM11 535 hp at 2300 rpm, 33.3 mph WOT, 29.5 mph at sustained

cruise of 2100
rpm, same gear ratio, 24x34 prop. Right on the money.

6CTA8.3 450 hp, 30.6 mph WOT, 27.5 mph at sustained cruise, 2.00:1

gear ratio,
24x31 four blade prop on Aquamet 22 2" shaft.

Cummins tells me its program is "about 8% too conservative."

Looks like the QSM11 535 will be the right engine. Its fuel use is

only a little
more than the 450's and a lot less than the 635 hp engine. What I

want is a 30
mph sustained cruise speed, and 535 hp will do it. Cummins also

figured the boat
at 1000 pounds heavier than our target, which is probably the

smart thing to do.
Besides, the QSM is a new, all computerized design.

The hull form is what got to me. The boat has a substantial keel

and it is a
built-down keel, right to its bottom, not just "tacked" on. It

backs down
beautifully. And it seems to roll one heck of a lot less in a beam

sea than the
semi-vee 36 footers I've been on, and especially some large deep

vee fishing
boats of about the same size its been my pleasure to fish aboard. I

believe it
is a function of the keel and the really low center of gravity.

Amazing, for a
boat that is round bilged and fairly flat under the transom. No

chines. Just
splash rails forward and aft. A soft, soft ride...which is what I

wanted.

Here's just some of his prior lies (in his own words pasted);

I sold off nearly $3,000,000 in new motors and boats, depressing
the new boat
industry in southern Connecticut for an entire season.

Everything was
sold...every
cotter pin, every quart of oil, 30 days after I started. For near
full-retail, too.

He had just under $1,000,000 on floor plan with a
syndicate of banks led by National Shawmut of Boston. He had

been a
solid customer of that back for more than 20 years and they

gave him
great rates.

As far as your other complaints, well, almost every president

in my memory,
and I *remember* Truman, Eisenhower (who cheated on his wife),

Kennedy,
Johnson, Nixon, Ford, Carter, Reagan and Bush, lied and

participated in
deceit to one degree or another, and on issues far more

important than who
was giving them blow jobs.

Good lord. I met *every* president in the damned group except

Bush, and I
worked once for his father.

My father used to pray that the north shore of LI Sound would

be hit by
a mild hurricane. No
one injured, no on-shore property damaged, but lots of boats sunk.
Preferably early in July.

We had the Hatteras for two years. Last year, out of the cold

clear, a
broker approached me with an offer to buy. Our continued Florida
lifestyle was somewhat up in the air, because the two breadwinners
hereabouts were about to be offered long-term but temporary

assignments
they could not refuse in the Washington, D.C., area. So, after

being
romanced a little, we sold the Hatt for almost precisely what

we paid
for it. Not bad, after two full years of use. And I mean full

years. So,
we didn't "make" any money off the Hatt, but we didn't lose

any, either.
The proceeds were prudently invested.

The PWC was won as
a prize in a raffle.

Never mind that. Why does he have a Bilgeliner in front of

his office?
Is it a display of "Boating Don'ts?"
Yeah, when we were in the boat biz, my father always had one

or two

"around the back" that he was forced to take in trade. These

were sold
as "as is, where is." He made sure the engine would start and run.
Beyond that, it was up to the prospective buyer to decide if

he wanted
it. They moved off the lot pretty quickly, partially because

my dad's
main store was on a highly trafficked commercial route with

lots of
manufacturing and machining and aerospace plants near by. In

those days,
workers at these places could fix anything.

Actually, Dipper, I don't think my father ever saw a Bayliner.

But he still
called bumpers bumpers.
--

Bayliner wined and dined my father a half dozen times to

entice him
into becoming its dealer. His operation was the largest small boat
dealership in its area of New England, and for 30 years, he

was the
*exclusive* Evinrude dealer in a densely populated coastal

county. He
also handled Mercuries. He never liked Bayliners, and referred

to them
as "jerry-built."

From 1947 until he died, he sold more than 500 outboar motors a
year from his stores, accounting for a reasonably high

percentage of *all*
outboards sold in his home state for those years.

This is a killer. My father was in the boat business dating

back to
right after
the Big War. When he died and I was looking through his

warehouse, I found
wrapped in a nuclear fall-out bag (no kidding), a brand-new 1949
Evinrude 8015
50 hp outboard. The motor was a gift to my father from

Evinrude for
winning some
outboard stock utility or hydroplane race.

I gave the motor to a friend of my dad's, who worked at the

shop as head
mechanic. I don't believe he ever used it and I'm sure it is still
brand-new. I
have no idea who might own it now.

He also built
boats, and I worked on a few, both wood, glass covered wood and
all fiberglass. After he died, however, we sold the biz and I've
just been an occasional boat owner.

Besides, I worked off and on in the
boat business and inherited it when he died. So, as I said, I'm
knee-deep in boat heritage.

Oh,
and I had some friends who died in the service, too, but it

wasn't for
what they believed in. They were drafted, shipped to Vietnam

and came
back in body bags.

During the war, he turned out experimental brass shell casings
for the
Army and hopped up outboards for the Navy, which wanted to use

them on
smaller
landing craft. I had photos at one time of my father with Ole

Evinrude
himself.
My mother knew one of Evinrude's wives...she was a minor movie

star or
singer...I forgot which. Maybe both.

Have you ever sailed from San Francisco to Hawaii? I have.
Have you ever rounded Cape Horn? I have, twice.
Have you ever transited the Panama Canal? I have.
Have you owned more than 20 boats in your lifetime? I have.
Have you ever sailed large boats competitively? I have.
Have you ever been hundreds of miles from land in a powerboat

under your
command? I have.

My father and his chief mechanic once crossed the Atlantic in

winter in
a 22'
boat powered by twin outboards. Yes, it is possible, even the

fuel. Got a
"fireboat" welcome in NYC.

Here are some:

Hatteras 43' sportfish
Swan 41' racing/cruising sloop
Morgan 33
O'Day 30
Cruisers, Inc., Mackinac 22
Century Coronado
Bill Luders 16, as sweet a sailboat as ever caught a breeze.
Century 19' wood lapstrake with side wheel steering
Cruisers, Inc. 18' and 16' wood lapstrakes
Wolverines. Molded plywood. Gorgeous. Several. 14,15,17

footers with various
Evinrudes
Lighting class sailboat
Botved Coronet with twin 50 hp Evinrudes. Interesting boat.
Aristocraft (a piece of junk...13', fast, held together with spit)
Alcort Sunfish
Ancarrow Marine Aquiflyer. 22' footer with two Caddy Crusaders.
Guaranteed 60
mph. In the late 1950's.
Skimmar brand skiff
Arkansas Traveler fiberglass bowrider (I think it was a bowrider)
Dyer Dhow
Su-Mark round bilge runabout, fiberglass
Penn Yan runabouts. Wood.
Old Town wood and canvas canoe
Old Town sailing canoe...different than above canoe

Sometime in the early 1960s, I was driving back from Ft.

Leonard Wood to
Kansas City in a nice old MGA I owned at the time. About

halfway home it
started raining heavily, I turned on the wipers, and EVERY SINGLE
electrical accessory and light in the car flashed on, there

was a large
popping sound and it all blew out at once. And the car caught

fire. I
pulled over to the side of the road, watched the fire, removed my
license plate and hitched on home. For all I know, that old

MGA is still
there.

Sure was a pretty little car.

Puh-lease, Karen. You've not seen nor have I ever posted one

example of
my professional writings on building structure and the effects

on it of
hurricane-force winds and seismic activity. I haven't done any

of these
in at least 10 year, but at the time I was field researching,
photographing and writing these reports, they were quite accurate,
topical and well-received by their intended audiences.

A small fleet of Polar skiffs were purchased by an inshore

bait, tackle

and boat rental business on the ICW in NE Florida. These

boats were not
used on open waters. Within 90 days, cracks developed in the

liners that
also served as the deck over the flotation in the bottom of

the hulls. A
guide I know, one whose boats and engines are supplied to him by
manufacturers, also had a Polar skiff go bad on him for the

same reasons
-liner and then hull fractures.

Harry has claimed to have a 20 yrs his junior beautiful wife, he

even put a fake pic of a beautiful woman on a website once claiming it
was his "young bride", he may have a wife, although I doubt it, we don't
like nor tolerate misogynists for long.

Needless to say he's made up many "dramatic" over the top

stories over the years about this lie to feed his ego & pretend he's the
centre of attention, but as with his boat claims & other crap, there's
never once been even a shred of independently verifiable material.

After he stalked Madcow in real life, which was most

frightening, I do suspect he's very very dangerous & that this "bride"
story is his delusional appropriation of his, probably court ordered,
treating psychotherapist as "wife" (it seems he was under lock & key for
what?? over a year??? a sexual deviant maybe??), have a read of just a
small part of his BS & make up your own mind, it's all about free choice:-)

1. She *is* my bride. There are no rules that determine the end of
"bride-hood." If I want to refer to her as my bride, I may.

2. As a professional writer, I know the rules of language and am

entitled to
break them in exercise of my license.

3. I doubt many married women would object to their husbands

lovingly
referring to them as brides. The connotations are pleasant.

4. She's 20 years younger than I am.

Naw. What happened was that I handled a couple of "political"

consulting
jobs funded out of the DC area to help a few candidates and defeat a
couple of ballot issues. Through no fault of mine, we won each

of the
races, so some of the deep pockets types based in the DC area

think I
actually *know something* about the process. I was offered a

contract
that requires my presence in DC quite frequently. My bride also was
offered a job up here that represented a significant

professional career
move. So, we're "up here" much of the time and "down there" the

rest of
it, except when we're "somewhere else." I've been back to Jax (well,
really south of Jax) five times since coming "up here" late last

summer
and my bride just returned from a business trip there.

I swear this is true.

Here's a funny. My bride had to fly out to San Diego Wednesday and
hitched a ride on her company's corporate jet. They landed in

Salina,
Kansas, which is due north of Wichita and Skippy's suburb of Derby.

So when she gets to San Diego, I get a call asking, "What the

hell did
you do in Kansas...we didn't fly over one significant patch of
water...?"

Harry, you make over 500 posts a week to this group and you

don't own
a boat?
And why are you so crabby?
Maybe these two factors are related?

One has to own something to use it? Hmmm. My bride drives off in

her car
every day, but she doesn't own it.

I'm not crabby. You asked for advice I gave you some. I

questioned your
wanting to take a very small boat out into high seas and

suddenly you
turned sour. It's your pot; you are the one stewing in it.

No, it is the boat of a friend. It is a 24' ProLine center

console with,
if I recall, a 225 hp Merc on it. It was a dark and stormy day in
January (1997) when we went out, but the sky cleared once we got

out to
the Gulf Stream.

Bride and I caught and released:

1 white marlin
12-15 yellowtail snappers, maybe two pounds each. Pretty, pretty

fish.
Assorted red snappers
1 amberjack
2 jack crevalle jacks
1 snook
Nondescript sharks

Did you spend a year as a line psychotherapist at a 650-bed state
hospital for forensic patients?
Did you spend a year as senior psychotherapist at a county

facility for
substance abusers?
Did you spend two years as chief of therapy at a private, 200-bed
facility for the mentally and emotionally ill, at which

approximately
half the patients were trying to beat drugs or alcohol?
Are you currently chief of therapy for a for a multi-practitioner
practice of some 825 patients, about a third of which are

seeking help
for substance abuse problems?

Licensed psychotherapist
Screening as to character and background for each degree earned
On-going screening by faculty while in educational system
Interviews and screenings for required years of internships,

plus, at the same
time, supervision by a licensed professional.
Close professional and personal supervision by a licensed

therapist for two years
of employment before being allowed to apply for licensure
Licensure background check, submission of recommendations by

licensed
practitioners
Four hour written examination on state laws
Five hour written examination on diagnosis, procedure and practice

My wife went through this before becoming licensed. Her final

internship was as a
psychotherapist at a 600-bed high security state psychiatric

hospital where, on a
daily basis, she was exposed to more danger than your average

soldier.

My wife worked for a year as psychotherapist in a Florida

600-bed state
mental institution for forensic patients. She saw and treated

numerous
sexual deviants who do a bit more than expose themselves. Such

"treatment"
is part of being in the mental health professions.

You see, I'm a nautical psychotherapist, and for only $125 an hour,
until their health insurance runs out, I help Bayliner owners

overcome their
feelings of boatable inadequacy.

She is a licensed, practicing
psychotherapist and often tells me I am the sanest person she

sees each
day. Which can be taken any way one likes.

1. I'm married to a psychotherapist. Live-in therapy, dontcha

know? And much of
Freud is passe.

My ex-wife surpassed the anti-Christ at least a decade ago.

They're not actually "free" moments. I go to boat dealers to

round-up
Bayliner owners who are trying to find one who will take their own
version of flotsam and jetsam in on trade.

1. The address listed is not a home address. It is an office.

2. I have three phone numbers. The phone number listed is not one of
mine. It has never been one of mine. The phone number *did*

belong to an
after-hours message recording hotline my wife maintained for her

most
mentally disturbed patients. Some of these troubled souls were
court-ordered referrals. *Every* call to that phone number--every
call--was recorded AND because of the nature of the line, my

wife had
the ability to alert the telephone company to trace the phone

number of
every incoming call to that line, *even* if the person making

the call
tried to block his number.

Why, you might ask? Because when you are dealing with suicidal

people,
they'll liable to tell their therapist over the phone that they are
planning to take their life. If the therapist believes the threat is
real, she or he will want to dispatch emergency srvices and

perhaps the
police.

In the years my wife has provided this pro bono service, she has

never
received a threatening or abusive call from a mentally ill

patient or
court-ordered referral. However, after the ranking Flaming Ass

of this
newsgroup posted the hotline number in this newsgroup, she

received a
number of abusive, foul-mouthed AND life-threatening calls.

These were
mostly directed at me but, of course, I never received them BECAUSE
(duh!) the phone is not mine and I've never answered it.
Naturally, my wife alerted the authorities, with whom she works

closely
because of her court-referred patients. The authorities are
investigating the callers and have involved both the FBI *and*
authorities in other states, including Florida, Georgia,

California and
Texas. Working with the telephone company, the authorities have been
able to trace the origin of virtually every abusive call. And, of
course, they have the tape recordings of the abusive messages.

Several
suspects have been identified. I really don't know what the

outcome of
all this will be. We haven't had an update in several weeks, nor are
either of us here that interested in the sleazeballs that would make
such calls.

The phone number, of course, is "wired," so when the obnoxious

calls came in
from the idiot rec.boaters, the numbers were easy enough to

trace. The local
police handled a complaint, the local telco was involved and

when it was
discovered the point of origin was out of state, the FBI got

involved. At
least one of the idiots was caught and prosecuted. As far as I

can tell, he
has not posted here again

adectus

thanks everyone. I appreciate all the post.

Skelly

Shortwave Sportfishing

wrote:

Im thinking about buying a 22 foot proline sport. I will be using
the boat mostly for offshore fishing. Does anyone have experience
with these boats on the open water.

How far "off-shore" and where "off-shore"?

Around these parts, weather plays a big part in how far and where you
SHOULD go in a 22 footer. I've been on the SW ledge off Block Island
with my Contender CC (32 foot) and wished I wasn't. On the other
hand, I've been there in my Ranger CC (20 foot) and had a ball.

I've seen boats like you are contemplating out as far as 22/25 miles
on really good days and I've seen them around Stellwagon Bank, the
Vineyard and Nantucket on marginal days. It's not something that I
would do, but that's me.

If you keep an eye on the weather and stay ahead of it, then you
should be fine with that size boat. The key is to be conservative and
don't overstay your welcome. If you are getting uncomfortable with
the weather situation, then it's past time to leave.

The ride will be problematic. It will handle light chop and 1/2 foot
waves well enough at speed, but long duration swells and heavy waves
can cause problems. Slow it down and keep the ride reasonable.

(Funny story - I was running in Narragansett Bay south of Prudence
Island in my Contender. The weather was moderate, but the striper bite
was on big time, so I decided to head under the Newport Bridge and out
to Seal Ledge - the water inside the East Passage was 1 to 2, but
heavy and short duration - the boat was being bounced around a little
but not to bad. As I made the turn into the Passage, wham - 8 foot
waves - I buried the bow and decided that descretion was the better
part of valor and headed back inside - turning around was VERY
interesting.) :)

Open water fishing is dependant on how much freeboard the boat has,
how the transom is get up (if it's an outboard), things like that.
If you are considering anything from 10-20 miles out, then I'd pick a
model that has a deep, self-draining cockpit and plenty of transom
even if the outboard has to go on a bracket. That is one of the
design "features" of my Ranger that bothers me a lot - they have a set
back for the engine, but right in the setback, is a hatch. In a
following sea, that set back is always wet and I have taken waves over
the stern into the cockpit. Something to consider.

Anyway, if you are comfortable with the boat, then have fun - just be
carefull.

Oh, and Proline's are nice boats. :)

Later,

Tom
S. Woodstock, CT
----------
"I object to fishing tournaments less for
what they do to fish than what they do to
fishermen." Ted Williams - 1964
Wayne.B

On Sat, 03 Jan 2004 11:43:58 GMT, Shortwave Sportfishing
wrote:
If you are considering anything from 10-20 miles out, then I'd pick a
model that has a deep, self-draining cockpit and plenty of transom
even if the outboard has to go on a bracket. That is one of the
design "features" of my Ranger that bothers me a lot - they have a set
back for the engine, but right in the setback, is a hatch. In a
following sea, that set back is always wet and I have taken waves over
the stern into the cockpit. Something to consider.

That's an excellent point for any boat in open water, regardless of
how far off shore. Taking a wave over the transom seems to be one of
the primary ways that small to mid-size boats get in trouble.

The only other advice that I'd offer is to be aware of current and
wave conditions in your local inlet, and have an alternative in mind
if things look too dicey when you return. Getting rolled by a
breaking wave in the inlet is another big trouble spot for 20 footers
and even larger.

Fishing The Carolina Coast Capt. Dave General 4 December 31st 03 07:55 PM
VEC build techniques to become more prevalent Gould 0738 General 0 December 9th 03 03:03 AM
Speaking of Salmon Fishing Gould 0738 General 6 November 15th 03 06:57 AM
Good Fishing Boat Kent General 0 September 11th 03 08:43 PM
Fishing tackle on E-Bay F330 GT General 2 August 3rd 03 07:34 PM