Aaron

Default Skull Creek Marina complaint

Just had a nice 3 day passage from Cape Lookout and ducked into Port
Royal Sound. I anchored off my dads condo in Hilton Head, SC and tied
the dingy up to Skull Creek Marina on the ICW, on the back side of
HHI. The next morning, when I asked what fee, if any, was expected
for tying off to the dock, no showers or services, the answer was
$1.50 x the length of my whole boat, not just the dingy.

'We don't want cruisers anchoring off and tying up here.'
Vito

Aaron wrote:

Just had a nice 3 day passage from Cape Lookout and ducked into Port
Royal Sound. I anchored off my dads condo in Hilton Head, SC and tied
the dingy up to Skull Creek Marina on the ICW, on the back side of
HHI. The next morning, when I asked what fee, if any, was expected
for tying off to the dock, no showers or services, the answer was
$1.50 x the length of my whole boat, not just the dingy.

'We don't want cruisers anchoring off and tying up here.'

So you hopped in your dinghy and motored off, I hope - unless they own
the anchorage.
Steve

Sounds outrageous! But I'm not surprised.

This last summer, I gave up my slip at the local marina because I was going
to be off cruising around Puget Sound for 3 months. And the marina is 110%
booked for the whole summer. As it happened, several times I anchored off
the marina and ask to land by dingy at their dock (squeeze in space) while I
was off running errands for a day plus an overnite ashore. $5/day or $50 for
the month. Wow! And I'm a regular customer, having spent the past 10 months
renting a slip there.

Sometimes these people can be very nice but when it comes to the fees, it is
literally cast in stone.

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

Leanne

'We don't want cruisers anchoring off and tying up here.'

Typical HHI attitude. That place is by and for retired Yankees.
Those of us that live on the north part of the county call them
SOB's (south of the Broad {river}).

Leanne
S/V Fundy, Port Royal, SC

Jimmy

The marina has been marked in my guide book. I will not spend a penny
there.

Thanks for the warning!

Aaron wrote:

Just had a nice 3 day passage from Cape Lookout and ducked into Port
Royal Sound. I anchored off my dads condo in Hilton Head, SC and tied
the dingy up to Skull Creek Marina on the ICW, on the back side of
HHI. The next morning, when I asked what fee, if any, was expected
for tying off to the dock, no showers or services, the answer was
$1.50 x the length of my whole boat, not just the dingy.

'We don't want cruisers anchoring off and tying up here.'

Rosalie B.

Default Dinghy dock charges was Skull Creek Marina complaint

x-no-archive:yes "Steve" wrote:

Sounds outrageous! But I'm not surprised.

We've always avoided that area because they have so many restrictions
there. We only stayed at Outdoor Resorts once, and after that we
stayed other places.

This last summer, I gave up my slip at the local marina because I was going
to be off cruising around Puget Sound for 3 months. And the marina is 110%
booked for the whole summer. As it happened, several times I anchored off
the marina and ask to land by dingy at their dock (squeeze in space) while I
was off running errands for a day plus an overnite ashore. $5/day or $50 for
the month. Wow! And I'm a regular customer, having spent the past 10 months
renting a slip there.

There are various charges for dinghy docks on the east coast. Even
Fernandina has started charging. Usually you get some services with
your dinghy fee - in Key West we could dispose of our trash and get
water. Some places the trash and use of the showers is extra. Some
places the dinghy dock is free unless you want to use the hot tub/pool
and/or the washers.

In Elizabeth City they have free docks - no electricity. There are
athletic clubs that will let you use the showers for $3.50 -
$4.00/day.

Belhaven has free dinghy docks but if you are there after dark you
risk having your boat confiscated and it is a long walk to the grocery
store.

Oriental also has a free city dock which I suppose could be used by
dinghies. We are too big to fit there.

People anchor off Swansboro too, and I don't think there is a charge
for landing a dinghy. I'm not sure about the charges as Beaufort NC
and Wrightsville Beach.

I don't think there is a charge at the dinghy dock in Georgetown (SC)
but I don't think there are any services there either.

I understand that Palmer Johnson in Thunderbolt doesn't allow dinghies
to dock.

Fernandina has completely changed their dinghy dock rates. Dinghy
dockage is $2 + tax/day. Showers are $1.50/person. Garbage is 50
cents a bag. Weekly rate is $10 + tax without showers, and $20 +tax
with showers (up to 3 people) and trash disposal. This is as of Jan
1, 2002. Monthly is $35 without showers and $60 with.

In St. Augustine, dinghy dockage is $5.00 per day and not seven as I
thought. ($25/week or $90/month) This says includes amenities, which
I guess are showers and trash disposal. Internet connection is $1.50
per session which I thought was outrageous.

In Daytona, the dinghy dock charge at Caribbean Jacks is $10/day which
includes the showers, heated pool and hot tub etc. although I've heard
that if you just want to tie up and go to the Publix and not use any
of the facilities it is free.

Titusville allows free dinghy dock tie up unless you want a key to the
showers for which you have to pay something.

In Key West, the dinghy dock by the old turtle kraals in Key West
Bight is $4/day, $20/week and $60/month. You fight for your place and
then fight to get out again - have to have your sticker and leave the
motor in the water.

Sometimes these people can be very nice but when it comes to the fees, it is
literally cast in stone.

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

grandma Rosalie

S/V RosalieAnn, Leonardtown, MD
CSY 44 WO #156
http://home.mindspring.com/~gmbeasley/id2.html
Jere Lull

Rosalie B. wrote:

Oriental also has a free city dock which I suppose could be used by

dinghies. We are too big to fit there.

Quick update: That dock was damaged during Isabel and was deemed beyond
simple repair. It sounded like they were going to try to get a new one
built quickly enough for the fall migration.

When we were there, a 35' or so boat pulled up behind us, so there was
plenty of room with a little cooperation. As I recall, there was
additional dinghy space along the bulkhead.

I LIKE Oriental and Elizabeth City: They know that spending a few bucks
on free docks and other amenities is an investment, not a cost. Works
far better than an ad in a paper.....

--
Jere Lull

Rosalie B.

x-no-archive:yes
Jere Lull wrote:

Rosalie B. wrote:

Oriental also has a free city dock which I suppose could be used by
dinghies. We are too big to fit there.

Quick update: That dock was damaged during Isabel and was deemed beyond
simple repair. It sounded like they were going to try to get a new one
built quickly enough for the fall migration.

When we were there, a 35' or so boat pulled up behind us, so there was
plenty of room with a little cooperation. As I recall, there was
additional dinghy space along the bulkhead.

The Oriental free docks are too small for us as we are 44 feet, plus
it might be too shallow for us. Two boats of about 30 feet can fit
OK. It's also possible to anchor outside the harbor.

Did you see the two sailing school boats? One named
BEGINNER'S LUCK, and the other STUDENT DRIVER
..
I LIKE Oriental and Elizabeth City: They know that spending a few bucks
on free docks and other amenities is an investment, not a cost. Works
far better than an ad in a paper.....

Yes I do too.

I understand the Corps of Engineers is clearing out the Dismal Swamp
canal. Do you know the status of the Elizabeth City docks?

grandma Rosalie
SAIL LOCO

I'll stick to cruising the Carib. (BVIs) You can tie a dinghy up anyplace and
no one cares.
S/V Express 30 "Ringmaster"
Trains are a winter sport

Keeping boat in a marina Dan J.S. General 2 July 22nd 04 01:20 AM
Marina question Mike Cruising 85 October 7th 03 07:37 PM
Is there boating on the Chester Creek, PA? Ramp? designo General 0 August 5th 03 06:07 PM
Marina gas prices - how much are you paying this summer? Snafu General 22 August 3rd 03 03:52 AM
Marina fire destroys 25 boats near Orlando -v- General 1 July 27th 03 09:43 PM