JG

Default Synthetic oil in a outboard engine ?

I have been told that automotive synthetic oils (Mobil 1) should not be
used in a marine engine. I didn't hear the reasoning behind this statement.
Does anyone know why they should not be used?

Thanks JG

Steve Barker

Perfect question.

--
Steve

News==----

Newsgroups

=---

Trevor Dennis

JG Writes

I have been told that automotive synthetic oils (Mobil 1) should not be
used in a marine engine. I didn't hear the reasoning behind this statement.
Does anyone know why they should not be used?

It has been argued that in high powered motorcycles with wet clutches
Mobil 1 would cause clutch slip. Do marine engines have wet clutches?

But have I used Mobil 1 and other fully and semi-synthetic motor oils in
several big bikes without a problem. The bikes 'seemed' to rev more
freely, but the most noticeable difference was with the gear changes
which were smoother and quieter.

Several years ago on a boring late shift at work, some friends and I did
our own little oil test. We centre-drilled a number of 6mm studs and
silver soldered 8mm ball bearings to each one. We then rotated them in a
milling machine onto a mild steel plate, using a weight on the quill to
ensure equal pressure. We used a range of oils from 10W/30 through gear
oil up to Mobil 1 and Rocal machining lubricant. Times to seizure ranged
from 10 seconds for the 10W/30 to 120 seconds for the Mobile 1. The
cutting lube kept going for ever.

What was interesting was when we used Mobil 1 for a few seconds, and
then wiped it dry, the ball still took over a minute to seize on the
residue.
I finally settled on a semi-synthetic for the bikes because it seemed to
work as well as the Mobile 1, but was half the cost.

--
Trevor Dennis
Remove s-p-a-m to email
Jack Rye

Formula 4-Stroke Synthetic 0W-40 Motor Oil

Specially formulated to lubricate and protect 4-stroke recreational motors.
AMSOIL Formula 4-Stroke Synthetic Motor Oil is specially formulated for
four-stroke recreational motors, including ATVs, outboard motors and
motorcycles. It may also be used in cars and trucks. Its broad viscosity
range makes it excellent for use in both hot and cold temperature extremes.

AMSOIL Formula 4-Stroke Synthetic Motor Oil may be used in all applications
specifying 0W-40, 5W-30, 10W-30 and 10W-40 viscosity grades and is
recommended for applications requiring the following specifications:

a.. API SJ, SH, SG, SF, CD, CF
b.. JASO MA
Use in Yamaha, Suzuki, Honda, Mercury, Kawasaki, Arctic Cat, Polaris, Nissan
and Bombardier motors and transmissions. Safe in wet or dry sumps.
Recommended for manual or automatic clutches.

PRODUCT DESCRIPTION

Resists High Temperature Vaporization
Conventional motor oils tend to vaporize and lose weight in high temperature
conditions, contributing to poor oil circulation, reduction in fuel
efficiency and excessive emissions and engine wear. AMSOIL Formula 4-Stroke
Synthetic Motor Oil is highly resistant to evaporation. While conventional
petroleum oils thicken due to evaporation, AMSOIL Formula 4-Stroke Synthetic
Motor Oil maintains its viscosity in high temperature service. The superior
evaporation resistance of AMSOIL Formula 4-Stroke Synthetic Motor Oil keeps
engine wear, oil consumption and emissions to a minimum, while keeping oil
circulation efficient and fuel economy high.

Friction Modifier Free
AMSOIL Formula 4-Stroke Synthetic Motor Oil contains no friction modifiers,
making it ideal for ATV, outboard motor and motorcycle engines. The friction
modifier free formulation of AMSOIL 4-Stroke ensures transmission (manual or
automatic) and clutch compatibility and prevents slip.

Performance Formulated
AMSOIL Formula 4-Stroke Synthetic Motor Oil contains a robust
dispersant/detergent package, making it ideal for use in high-stress
four-cycle engines. The dispersant/detergent additive package effectively
suspends harmful combustion by-products and prevents deposits, keeping
AMSOIL Formula 4-Stroke clean and serviceable.

High-temperature operations often lead to the thermal degradation and
oxidation of conventional oils, leading to the formation of deposits, sludge
and varnish. The superior oxidative and thermal stability of AMSOIL Formula
4-Stroke Synthetic Motor Oil inhibits the formation of varnish, deposits and
sludge so equipment runs clean in high-stress, high temperature operations.

Temperature and Performance
AMSOIL Formula 4-Stroke Synthetic Motor Oil has a broad viscosity range,
making it excellent for use in both hot and cold temperature extremes. As an
SAE 40 weight motor oil, AMSOIL Formula 4-Stroke provides superior
protection for hot operating, hard working motors, while its SAE 0W rating
ensures easy cranking, excellent cold weather starting and quick
post-startup protection.

Copper Corrosion, Rust and Foam Inhibition
AMSOIL Formula 4-Stroke Synthetic Motor Oil protects equipment from copper
corrosion and rust, even during equipment storage. AMSOIL Formula 4-Stroke
Synthetic Motor Oil does not foam in service, protecting equipment from the
metal-to-metal contact and wear that occurs with use of foam-filled fluids.

TYPICAL TECHNICAL PROPERTIES

AMSOIL FORMULA 4-STROKE SYNTHETIC MOTOR OIL (AFF) SAE 0W-40

Kinematic Viscosity @ 100°C, cSt (ASTM D-445)
14.20

Kinematic Viscosity @ 40°C, cSt (ASTM D-445)
73.93

Viscosity Index (ASTM D-2270)
201
CCS Viscosity, cP @ (°C) (ASTM D2602)
5691
Flash Point °C (°F) (ASTM D 92)
228 (442)
Pour Point °C (°F) (ASTM D 97) -51 (-60)
Noack Volatility, % weight loss (g/100g) (ASTM D-5800)
11.63%
Four Ball Wear Test (ASTM D 4172 @ 40 kgf, 150°C, 1800 rpm, 1 hour,
Scar in mm)
0.40
Total Base Number 8.91

Applications and Recommendations
AMSOIL Formula 4-Stroke Synthetic Motor Oil may be used in all applications
specifying 0W-40, 5W-30, 10W-30 and 10W-40 viscosity grades and is
recommended for applications specifying the following:

.. API SJ, SH, SG, SF, CD, CF
.. JASO MA

Use in Yamaha®, Suzuki®, Honda®, Mercury®, Kawasaki®, Arctic Cat®, Polaris®,
Nissan® and Bombardier® motors and transmissions. Safe in wet or dry sumps.
Recommended for manual or automatic clutches.

Compatibility
AMSOIL Formula 4-Stroke Synthetic Motor Oil is compatible with other
four-stroke fluids. However, a mixture of AMSOIL Formula 4-Stroke Synthetic
Motor Oil and another oil may offer a shorter service life than pure AMSOIL
Formula 4-Stroke Synthetic Motor Oil.

AMSOIL Formula 4-Stroke Synthetic Motor Oil is compatible with and
recommended for use with clutch plates in ATV's and motorcycle
transmissions.

Installation
Change AMSOIL Formula 4-Stroke Synthetic Motor Oil according to
manufacturer's recommendations, without oil filtration. With oil filtration
(AMSOIL SDF Filter), up to 2 times longer than manufacturer's
recommendations or 6 months, whichever comes first. If a Hastings or other
filter is used, filter should be changed at manufacturer's recommendations.

"JG" wrote in message ...
I have been told that automotive synthetic oils (Mobil 1) should not be
used in a marine engine. I didn't hear the reasoning behind this

statement.
Does anyone know why they should not be used?

Thanks JG

JG

While trying to find a good independent study of Mobil 1 V.S, Amsoil I came
across this, I think all of you that have been involved in this discussion
will find it interesting.
http://neptune.spacebears.com/cars/s.../oil-life.html

"Gene Kearns" wrote in message
On Tue, 19 Aug 2003 10:41:54 -0400, Anonymous Nobody wrote:

On 19 Aug 2003 14:38:57 GMT, (Karl Denninger)
wrote:

Its fine PROVIDED it is the correct viscosity grade and you don't use it

as
an excuse to extend drain/change intervals.

--

Why not extend drain/change intervals? What is the point in paying $5
per quart instead of $2 if you can't get longer intervals?

News==----
Newsgroups
---= 19 East/West-Coast Specialized Servers - Total Privacy via

Encryption =---

Not a simple answer but....

Oil performs several tasks..... Not an exhaustive list but, it:

Lubricates - hydrodynamic, mixed, and boundary
Protects
Cools
Seals
Cleans

Synthetics do an admirable job of all these tasks (in water cooled
engines) and does not exhibit the early breakdown of mineral oils.
However, there IS a limit to the last item.....

The better an oil is at this task the shorter the period of time we
can leave it in service! Unless, of course, we have some ultra
efficient way of filtering in the ultra small micron size. That is
why you pay $12-$13 for a Mobil 1 oil filter.

Synthetic oils are not a panacea, but I believe in them and will use
them. They just can't be used forever... and there is a higher cost
of use than mineral oil..... that is more than returned by delaying
loss of use, R&R, and overhaul

--

Grady-White Gulfstream, out of Southport, NC.

http://myworkshop.idleplay.net/cavern/

Homepage
http://www.southharbourvillage.com/directions.asp Where

Southport,NC is located.
http://www.southharbourvillage.com/autoupdater.htm Real Time Pictures

at My Marina
http://www.thebayguide.com/rec.boats Rec.boats

at Lee Yeaton's Bayguide

Jack Rye

Moisture is one of the problems with all oils, synthetic or regular. As an
engine runs, combustion blowby into the crankcase contaminates the oil with
moisture, soot and unburned fuel. Moisture is the worst culprit because it
forms acids and sludge. The oil itself never wears out but the additives do
that give oil it's special lubricating properties.

To me synthetics seem to not break down as fast from the moisture, and
contaminates. Synthetics seem to not absorb moisture as do regular oils
from sitting. After the hurricane season is finished I always change the
lubricants on the boats.

Jack

"Tony Thomas" wrote in message
Mercury claims that you don't want to use synthetic because it has a

higher
tendency to absorb moisture. As an engine sits for long periods of time,
moisture/condensation can/will be absorbed by the oil and fuel. In this
case, since most boats tend to sit for 1, 2, or 3 weeks at a time between
use, you tend to absorb more moisture in the oil which reduces the oils
ability to do its job. Once you run the engine for a while, the moisture

is
burned off. But during this warmup period they claim you get less
lubrication than with regular oil.

At least that is their claim.
Someone else will have to figure out if they are right or not.

Now, if you use the boat for commercial purposes, it does not sit any

longer
than a car and everything changes.

--
Tony