Rod McInnis

Default Boat insurance without a survey?

"steve" wrote in message
news
Is it possible to get boat insurance without getting the boat
surveyed?

Of the six boats that I have purchased (not counting dinghies and such) I
have only been asked to get a survey once.

My first boat was a 25' Stephens, a 30 year old wooden boat. I only had
liability insurance on that boat, so the insurance company probably didn't
care what the value of the boat was.

The next boat was a 18 foot tournament ski boat, 10 years old. I got full
coverage on that. The insurance company (Boat/US) only wanted a picture of
the boat.

Next came a 36' Carver Mariner, 10 years old. Full coverage, no survey was
required (BOAT/US).

Next came two brand new ski boats. Full coverage, no survey.

Then I bought a two year old houseboat, builder was "Destination Yachts". I
suspect that due to the small number of boats that the manufacturer makes
there was no comparable worth data for the insurance company to go by so
they requested a survey. Fortunately they were satisfied with an in the
water survey so I didn't have to have the boat hauled.

Rod

Jack Redington

Ree-Yees wrote:
I got mine boat loan and insurance through state farm and they have never
seen the boat.

"steve" wrote in message
news
Is it possible to get boat insurance without getting the boat
surveyed?

Just a fyi but you may want to ask them (State Farm) what they will pay on
your boat if you have a total loss. I had my boat insured with
State Farm for several years. When I was renewing my coverage,
lets say the amount was for a total of 20k (a number they wanted me to
come up with) I ask if the boat was a total loss would they pay the 20k?

They could not answer that question specifically and I was told that if
at the time of the loss determine the boat was worth 20k or more they
would pay out the 20k. But if they determined it was worth a lesser
amount, say 16k that is all they would pay that. Ok fine, so I ask if
the boat was a total loss today what would they pay, and they could not
answer that question.

Now the boat is insured with Boat US. I have to state I have never had a
claim with either company. And this could very well reflect on the State
Farm Agent more then the company. But I do sleep a little better Having
the "Agreeded Hull Value" clause in my policy boat insurance.

My house and my car are still with State Farm, I just didn't feel
comfortable with there coverage for the boat.

Capt Jack R.

Ree-Yees

Oh no. They asked me what I was paying for the boat ($4500) and they asked
me how much I wanted to insure it for, so I said $4500. Nada lists it for
$5500. I guess they would probably try to screw me if I sunk the boat.

--C

[...]

Thomas Nelson

yes

offshore fishing adectus General 7 January 3rd 04 04:23 PM
Where to find ramp stories? designo General 15 December 9th 03 09:57 PM
Dealing with a boat fire, checking for a common cause Gould 0738 General 14 November 5th 03 02:13 PM
Boat insurance questions NOYB General 14 October 15th 03 04:41 AM
Repost from Merc group Clams Canino General 0 August 29th 03 12:43 PM