posted to rec.boats.building

Default Steel hull and aluminum superstructure

Hi to all,

I am a newcomer on this newsgroup and you'll see me around as i'm starting
the construction of a new boat. I currently have a 34 feet powerboat in
aluminum and my nest boat will be a 44 or 45 steel sailboat. I'm looking at
building a Bruce Roberts design and i would like the deck superstructure to
be in aluminum. I've seen many commercial boat done this way and even old
Coast Guard patrol boat of 30+ years old without any corrosion problem so it
is something i'd like to do. But i can't find any industry that carries the
special strip that isolate both metals but still permit to weld them both.

Does someone ever see this ?

André

posted to rec.boats.building

It used to be called "Datacouple". It's seems to have dropped off
Google's radar screen which essentially means non-existant now. The
only references I see are reviews of some old boats that use it.

It must still be around somewhere.

--

Roger Long

"André Langevin" wrote in message
Hi to all,

I am a newcomer on this newsgroup and you'll see me around as i'm
starting the construction of a new boat. I currently have a 34 feet
powerboat in aluminum and my nest boat will be a 44 or 45 steel
sailboat. I'm looking at building a Bruce Roberts design and i
would like the deck superstructure to be in aluminum. I've seen
many commercial boat done this way and even old Coast Guard patrol
boat of 30+ years old without any corrosion problem so it is
something i'd like to do. But i can't find any industry that
carries the special strip that isolate both metals but still permit
to weld them both.

Does someone ever see this ?

André

posted to rec.boats.building

I have just double check with my friend who worked as a welder for 35 years
in a shipyard that build commercial, coast guard vessels, battleships and
drilling platforms.
If you have an aluminums structure welding steel plates on or doing the
reverse was not in practice. Aluminums and mild steel or cold rolled steel
are not compatible. The same thing applies to welding stainless steel.
What takes place is a white inter granular corrosion that is hardly visible
to the naked eyes. Given time the white corrosion will cause a structural
failure. Not to mention the saline atmosphere at sea that will accelerate
the process.

"André Langevin" wrote in message
Hi to all,

I am a newcomer on this newsgroup and you'll see me around as i'm starting
the construction of a new boat. I currently have a 34 feet powerboat in
aluminum and my nest boat will be a 44 or 45 steel sailboat. I'm looking
at building a Bruce Roberts design and i would like the deck
superstructure to be in aluminum. I've seen many commercial boat done
this way and even old Coast Guard patrol boat of 30+ years old without any
corrosion problem so it is something i'd like to do. But i can't find any
industry that carries the special strip that isolate both metals but still
permit to weld them both.

Does someone ever see this ?

André

posted to rec.boats.building

Sorry, but the following is completely wrong. The explosively jointed
bimetallic strips have a long and successful history. The aluminum is
welded to the aluminum side and the steel to the steel side. The
strips simply seem to have become hard to locate, at least via the
web.

Regular steel and stainless steel are often joined. Problems can
occur, especially if submerged in salt water but you'll see mild steel
/ stainless joints on fishing vessels that have been going for years
and years.

True, you can't weld aluminum directly to either.

How do I know about aluminum superstructure on a steel hull?

I did it on this boat:

http://www.bbsr.edu/About_BBSR/Facil...herbird_ii.htm

--

Roger Long

wrote in message
[...]

Very interesting Roger what you bring. As you said, i've searched also in
internet but there is not much reference. I will talk with a local
machinist also and keep you posted.

There is this company though: www.spurind.com but it might turn out very
costly since it seems to be a specialty.

André

wrote in message
[...]

That is the stuff.

For homebuilding, I would just build a flatbar flange at the base of
the superstructure. Bolt and aluminum flatbar to it and then build
the aluminum superstructure on top. Unbolt after it's done, lift, and
insert a suitable gasket material. Then bolt it back on.

Being able to remove the superstructure would have a lot of advantages
if you had to do major repair on the interior.

Actually, I would build the whole boat out of aluminum. Stronger at
the same weight, more likely to deform in a way that stays watertight
in event of major damage, and easier to drill for temporary patches
with hand or battery powered tools. I'd much rather go up on a reef
in a far away place in an aluminum boat than a steel on unless the
latter was large enough to carry a full welding outfit.

Also, less compass issues with an aluminum boat.

--

wrote in message
[...]

Roger,

I'm a fan of aluminum. My current boat is made of. I did a lot of work on
it to change the gas engine to a diesel one. You can see it at the
following adress if interested: www.langevin.biz/marinette34/repowering.htm

I just finished today the bill of material for the Roberts 43 and here are
the important numbers;

Current prices: Aluminum about 2.50 CAN / pound Steel about .050 CAN
/pound

Since there is less aluminum than steel, but not that much, the cost of
material for a Roberts 43 with ballast is the following:

-Steel 29000 CAN including ballast, sandblasted inside+outside, isolated
with foam for a 28500 pounds hull
-Aluminum 57000 including ballast, no paint inside but only under waterline,
isolated with foam for a 25000 pounds hull

All in all, when the boat will be done there will still be a difference of
30 % in price even if you take into account that the gear is smaller, the
engine works less and so on. I compared the resale value of several boats of
43-44 feet worldwide, and there is no significant difference in the future
price of resale either. A good boat is a well designed and maintained boat
and this is what ultimately command the price. Current median price for
either aluminum or steel sailboat is around 197 000 for 43-44 feet.

One of my friend hit a low floating container on his way to Europe ... it
was a glass boat but the aluminum on my boat is so easily teared apart that
i would have had the same problem - big hole and water in ... abandon ship.
Since my plan is to circumnavigate, i want to sleep in peace, protected by
5/32 inches of steel at 40 000 pounds/ square inches of resistance and
welded at 60 000 pounds/square inches. Every weld on aluminum diminishes
the local strenght and this is the problem. Unless they decide to make
containers in aluminum

But i'll truly miss the low maintenance of aluminum. This is why, if
feasible, i would like to have the superstructure built of aluminum. Your
trick is very interesting, i will think on how to apply it to the design.

Thanks very much !

wrote in message
[...]

I once saw a 40 something sailboat that had gone aground on an
offshore island. The keel was torn off and one side pushed in about
three feet. There was only about 18 inches of the hull that wasn't
watertight.

It often isn't the numbers strength of the material but the way that
the entire structure deforms under load that determines how it fails.
(Think of your rubber boat.) If I knew I was going to hit something
like a container, I would as soon do it in an aluminum boat of similar
structure weight as a steel one. Of course, that would be an
expensive boat as you point out.

--

wrote in message
[...]

"datacouple" is actually "dEtacouple" and is very much still around
and used by everyone in that business. take a look at
http://www.dynamicmaterials.com/

It seems that ownership of the product has bounced around some, but it
is still available. Now, how an individual can buy it -- that's
another story.

Cheers,

Michael

"Roger Long" wrote:

It used to be called "Datacouple". It's seems to have dropped off
Google's radar screen which essentially means non-existant now. The
only references I see are reviews of some old boats that use it.

It must still be around somewhere.

posted to rec.boats.building

Hi Michael,

This is very interesting. In fact i found the specification on the page
which is MIL-J-2445A
http://206.124.2.9/clad/pdf/marine_p...il-j-24445a%22

Now what puzzles me is that they claim that using a bimetallic join reduces
corrosion. I thought theese joint were *not* electrically bounded but they
are indeed.

So you have one big anode sitting on the top of your steel hull now. I
think the guess they are taking is the following:

A) The steel hull is absolutely and completely isolated from the sea water.
Any repair is done diligently
B) The superstructure is high enough not to be covered with water

I'm ok with condition A but condition B is very frequent on a sail boat. We
heel almost all the time and on the ocean the spray is constant.

Not sure anymore if it is a good idea but still searching...