Bruce Hallman

Default Proper flag protocol for Cat Yawl rig.

http://www.boatdesign.com/micro/files/navigator1.pdf

I am nearing completion of building one of these rigs,
and am curious of opinions about where to fly the
national emblem, US Flag. Traditionally, were should
I fly the national emblem, and club burgee?

The rig has no standing rigging or spreaders. Does
the national emblem fly from the top of the mizzen
mast and the club burgee from the top of the main mast?

FWIW, the mizzen sail is lashed to the mast and has no
halyard. The Mizzen mast can be stepped and un-stepped
to fly the mast, it weighs about 40 pounds and is 16 feet
tall, but that might not always be practical. The mizzen
is furled by rolling it up on its leech.
Leanne

"Bruce Hallman" wrote in message
om...
http://www.boatdesign.com/micro/files/navigator1.pdf

FWIW, the mizzen sail is lashed to the mast and has no
halyard. The Mizzen mast can be stepped and un-stepped
to fly the mast, it weighs about 40 pounds and is 16 feet
tall, but that might not always be practical. The mizzen
is furled by rolling it up on its leech.

How about from the leech of the mizzen for underway and then have another
flag on a pole at the stern when at anchor or at a pier.

Leanne

Ansley Sawyer

Bruce,

Your yacht club burgee should fly from the main masthead, your personal flag
should fly from the mizzen masthead and the national flag should fly from
the leach of the mizzen, when sailing, and from a flagstaff aft when
motoring or at anchor.

Cheers

Ansley Sawyer
SV Pacem
39' Camper Nicholson Ketch

Armond Perretta

Bruce Hallman wrote:
http://www.boatdesign.com/micro/files/navigator1.pdf

I am ... curious of opinions about where to fly the
national emblem, US Flag. Traditionally, were should
I fly the national emblem, and club burgee?

The rig has no standing rigging or spreaders. Does
the national emblem fly from the top of the mizzen
mast and the club burgee from the top of the main mast?

The traditional route is the show the national ensign two thirds up the
leach of the mizzen, and to show the club burgee at the main truck.

The location of the ensign could be a problem with the mizzen you have
described, so you may want to show the ensign at the stern rail, either on a
pole that doesn't foul the mizzen sheet, or affixed to the mizzen sheet
itself. I have seen other yawls use bungee effectively when doing this.

I don't see any reason that the burgee should _not_ go on a pigstick at the
main truck.

--
Good luck and good sailing.
s/v Kerry Deare of Barnegat

MMC

I know you probably want to stick to the design, but can't see why you
couldn't incorporate a halyard for the mizzen and rings, like on a gaff
rigged boat.
The rings could be sawn out of PVC pipe.
In my experience, the more difficult a rig is, the less likely it is to be
used...
MMC
"Bruce Hallman" wrote in message
FWIW, the mizzen sail is lashed to the mast and has no
halyard. The Mizzen mast can be stepped and un-stepped
to fly the mast, it weighs about 40 pounds and is 16 feet
tall, but that might not always be practical. The mizzen
is furled by rolling it up on its leech.

engsol

One thing that should work is a jackstaff off the stern if
it's convenient to mount one. A jackstaff is the superior
position regardless of the heights of other flags. If you
want to strictly adhere to flag protocol, remember the
national flag should be lighted, if left up at night.
But few people light them, or take them down at sunset.
Norm B
BruceHallman

Thanks, Armond. Afixing the national emblem to the mizzen sheet is a
great idea. A halyard for the mizzen seems unnecessary, as the mizzen
is only 27 SF, and the mizzen furls so easily by grabbing the clew and
rolling it up upon its leech. Rings would cause grief as the mizzen
mast doubles as a staff to support the fixed pulleys to control the
aft end of the main sail battens.

Pigstick is a new word to me, but I presume it is a flag staff
attached to the top truck at the head of the main sail/track. As my
boat doesn't have track, this won't work, [I have gaff, batten and
boom jaws.] Still, I can fly the burgee from a simple halyard run up
the mast, I suppose.

"Armond Perretta" wrote in message ...
Bruce Hallman wrote:
[...]

Armond Perretta

BruceHallman wrote:
"Armond Perretta" wrote ...
Bruce Hallman wrote:

I am ... curious of opinions about where to fly the
national emblem, US Flag. Traditionally, were should
I fly the national emblem, and club burgee?

The traditional route is the show the national ensign two thirds
up the leach of the mizzen, and to show the club burgee at the
main truck.
I don't see any reason that the burgee should _not_ go on a
pigstick at the main truck.

Thanks, Armond. Affixing the national emblem to the mizzen sheet is
a great idea.

Try to see if bungee cord will work in this application. Use it at the
bottom of the ensign, so that trimming the mizzen just stretches the bungee
while still allowing the ensign to display properly.

Pigstick is a new word to me, but I presume it is a flag staff
attached to the top truck at the head of the main sail/track. As my
boat doesn't have track, this won't work,

Yes, the pigstick is a small flagpole that is raised to the top of the mast.
It is not necessary to have a track of any sort. Just affix a single block
in a good location at the masthead, and set up a halyard. Attach one end of
the halyard to the bottom of the pigstick, and the other end of the halyard
about half way along the stick. The burgee goes at the top end. When you
tighten up on the halyard, the stick stands up straight. Hint from
experience: Make the pigstick longer than you think you will need.

BTW without a lot of "junk" at the truck as is the case on your rig, you
should be in pretty good shape.

Single Handed Flag?? Steve Cruising 32 January 8th 04 06:06 PM
Flag etiquette Cheshire Cruising 40 January 4th 04 12:25 AM
Which flag to fly ? Sven General 9 December 13th 03 12:02 AM