Default Sons of the Taliban...

Holy Bible clears first hurdle to becoming Louisiana's official state book

Legislation that would make the Holy Bible the official state book of
Louisiana cleared the House Committee on Municipal, Parochial and
Cultural Affairs with a vote of 8-5 Thursday afternoon. It will now head
to the full House of Representatives for consideration.

Rep. Thomas Carmody, R-Shreveport, originally filed a bill to declare a
specific copy of the Bible, found in the Louisiana State Museum system,
the official state book. But by the time he presented the proposal to
the committee, he changed language in his legislation to make the
generic King James version of the Bible, a text used worldwide, the
official state book.

Carmody said his intention was not to mingle religion with government
functions. "This is not about establishing an official religion," he said.

Still, Legislators became concerned that the proposal wasn't broad
enough and did not reflect the breadth of Bibles used by religious
communities. In particular, some lawmakers worried that singling out the
King James version of the Bible would not properly reflect the culture
of Louisiana. The Catholic Church, for example, does not use the King
James text.

"Let's make this more inclusive of other Christian faiths, more than
just the ones that use the King James version," said Rep. Stephen
Ortego, D-Carencro.

A few committee members fought the bill vehemently, saying the
legislation was likely to upset some citizens who are not Christian and
open the state up to legal challenges.

"I am so bothered by this bill that I just called my pastor. My pastor
just said that he thinks we are going to have a legal problem," said
Rep. Wesley Bishop, D-New Orleans, who voted against the legislation.

Rep. Ebony Woodruff, D-Harvey, tried to amend the bill to declare "all
books of faith" the official state books of Louisiana, but the proposal
failed 5-8. When asked if he would be open to making "all books of
faith" a group of official state books, Carmody was fairly adamant in
his opposition.

"I would certainly be against that amendment," he said.

The American Civil Liberties Union of Louisiana already has concerns
about the bill. "[The official state book] ought to be one that relates
to the history of Louisiana and not one that is going to discriminate
against a large number of Louisianans," said Majorie Esman, executive
director of the organization. Esman declined to say whether the ACLU
would fight the Holy Bible designation in court if it became law.

Michael Weil, who heads up the Jewish Federation of Greater New Orleans,
said his organization -- which is cultural and not religious in nature
-- hasn't take a stance on the bill. But the legislation gives him some
personal pause.

"I think the state should consider a text that is not religious," he said.

http://tinyurl.com/obsekbg

Perhaps “Dumb, Dumber and Dumbest” should be the “state text” of
Louisiana, although the state adopting a work of fiction as its state
book does seem mildly appropriate.

Krausebag wrote:
Perhaps "Dumb, Dumber and Dumbest" should be the "state text" of
Louisiana, although the state adopting a work of fiction as its state
book does seem mildly appropriate.

Well hello, Krausebag. It's so very nice of you to bring us this boating related item.

The Missus was inquiring about you just last evening. She asked me, "How's that ego centric guy in your boating group. You know, the one who claims his wife has 3 doctoral degrees?"

I was able to tell her that you're still here and most likely getting ready to attend your next Yale alumni meeting!

By the way, what year did you graduate from Yale?

Banned

On Sunday, April 13, 2014 9:37:51 AM UTC-4, F*O*A*D wrote:
[...]

**** OFF CLIP N PASTE **** !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

where do the sons of the rich work? bpuharic General 138 November 21st 11 11:56 PM
My sons Scotty ASA 1 December 8th 05 06:23 PM
My sons Seahag ASA 0 December 8th 05 02:52 PM
My sons Capt.Mooron ASA 0 December 7th 05 08:11 PM
Are Saddam's Sons Alive? Thom Stewart ASA 1 July 27th 03 07:36 AM