posted to rec.boats.building
Bob

Default Putty: Crawford's or Dolphinite?

Hi:

I think it is time to step into the 21st century.

I had a can of Dolphinite on the kitchen counter a few months ago. Its
good stuff for specific applications. My 18 yo daughter noticed it and
started give me an envionmental rant about eating Dolphins! I agreed
with her and explained the cute dolphin on the label was a trademark.

But back to sealant/adheasives. I would use other sealants other than
Dolphinite for bedding window frames. Same with desch hardware. Just
finished installing 6 lexan deadlights and two NFM portlights. The idea
is to have a minimum of 1/8" of goo to cure then torque it down.
Perfect killer custom seal. With the perminate soft stuff it just
squishes out.. No formed gasket then.

Go with the modern stuff. I like it.

Bob

posted to rec.boats.building
derbyrm

I hope you educated your daughter to the fact that there are Dolphin -
Porpoise - mammal critters which are worth protecting and Dolphin fish which
are good eating. Google "dolphin fish" for images and facts.

Roger

http://home.insightbb.com/~derbyrm
"Bob" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

ray lunder wrote:

Yes, Bob, but I just removed some stuff from the 20th century and it
was effortless. The new stuff will be there in 2075, long after the
dolphins have gone. Besides, how do you get a uniform 1/8" spread of
anything working from your knees on an 8in wide deck with one hand on
a handrail? Sounds like a leaky proposition to me.
p.s. What are the correct applications for Dolphinite? What makes it
worth 5x the price of painters putty?

Hi Ray:

The short answere is, ,,,,,,, I use nickles for spacers that hold the
hardware off the deck. Then after the goo cures I torque the through
bolted and backed machine screws. Do a search here. There is lots of
excellent How-To advice on bedding deck hardware.
Bob
PS I would love not thinking about rebedding untill 2075.