Rod McInnis

Default pontoon on the gulf of mexico

"Greg" wrote in message

They don't "swamp" and sink.

I have seen pontoon boats "submarine" , where the wave over the front
pushed the bow down and then the momentum drove them well underwater. They
should surface again, but they may not be in one piece, and can certainly be
non running afterwards. Gear and people can be lost overboard.

In the Estero River I get wakes as bad as the waves in the gulf on all but

the
worst days.

Wakes on a river have their limits, and generally come in sets of two.
There is no limit to the size of the waves on an ocean, and they can be
relentless.

On a river, safe ground isn't that far away. A few miles out on an ocean an
you can be in a world of hurt.

Rod

JDavis1277

Despite good advice to the contrary folks will do incredibly stupid things in
boats. What's most troubling to me is the encouragement they get from this
forum.

The person asking the question is a pilgrim.

Why provide bad advice to him. Can one "get away with" taking a pontoon boat
offshore? Certainly, usually. Should one tempt fate in such a way? IMO,
no.... particularly with others aboard.

Butch
Greg

I have seen pontoon boats "submarine" , where the wave over the front
pushed the bow down and then the momentum drove them well underwater

Been there, done that. The first day I had my boat I got caught in open water
bringing it home. What happens is it submarines but then the prop comes out of
the water and you pop back out. After a couple of those I figured out
quartering the sea was the trick, just like most boats. I ended up "tacking" my
way home since the course was dead into the sea. That was the nastiest day I
have had on the water in this boat. Seas at about 4-6 and sea fog so bad I
couldn't see land. (with a Wal-Mart compass I wasn't sure about)
I would not have done it if I knew it was that bad. The water where I started
was fairly well protected. The only bad stretch was across the mouth of the
Caloosahatchee near that Sanibel Bridge we are arguing about in the $27,500
speeding ticket thread. It was about 2 miles of hell and I was back "inside"
again.
Paul Schilter

Greg,
That post gave a chuckle, my brother in law decided to go through a
large yacht's wake head on. Myself and his dad were sitting in the bow
section, each on different couches, his dad on starboard, me on port. He
plowed into that wave and we were drenched in green water. I wasn't a happy
camper but so goes boating. Another time he was out on his wave runner
(trailered it down from Michigan), he made a run for our starboard beam. On
the aft port couch sat our digital camera, I thought he was going to slow
down and come along side. I soon realized that he wasn't slowing down and
was on a collision course, at the last moment he did a 180. Needless to say
he threw up a tidal wave, I had just enough time to leap on the camera to
protect it from the wave. Now that time....if I could have got a hold of
him...well you know.
Paul

"Greg" wrote in message
[...]

CaptMP

Seems to me this person posted the same silly (OK not silly, no honest question
is silly...) question some time back...Are we rising to the chum yet again?
By the way, pontoons have no business in open water.
Those folks who have taken a USCG or US POWER SQUADRON boating class would know
the answer.
Happy Holidays
Mike

Orig post was "

Date: 12/3/2003 9:22 PM Pacific Standard Time

You are the dimwit. You post a 760K post in a non-binary group. You an
unskilled computer person? As to kiddie porn, most likely you.

"TongSlinger" wrote in message
et...
if you notice dim wit I cut the post down. if anyone is so ignorant that

the
make issue of the size of the file I sent probably isn't worth my time to
get advise from. it is apparent that you don't have answers worth

listening
to. you must not have the knowledge or the brains to give an informed

answer
anyway. Calif bill must be short for Calif idiot. I have met people like

you
and I must say they mostly are unskilled laborers working as CALIF PRODUCE
PICKERS and use library computers to respond. I didn't mean to interrupt

you
from the usual kiddy porn, folks like you spend 18 hours a day trolling
through

Does anyone else have the intelligence to answer the question?
Thanks
TongSlinger

"Calif Bill" wrote in message
hlink.net...
Anybody ignorant enough to post a 760KB in a non-binary group is too
ignorant to have a boat.

"TongSlinger" wrote in message
t...

I want to take a pontoon onto the gulf of Mexico. Does anybody have a

good
reason I shouldn't take a pontoon on the ocean for a day trip.
This is a 21 foot fisher with a 90 HP Mercury outboard, it is also
equipped
with depth finder and GPS for navigation.
any input would be appreciated
Thanks
Captain Crunch

Greg

By the way, pontoons have no business in open water.

Neither do bow riders, bass boats and jon boats but we see them out at May
Reef.
user

I would not take a person in poor health, the elderly or a small child
on such a voyage, but otherwise it's your life.
I know someone who has regularly crossed the Long Island Sound in a 25'
pontoon with a 30 hp Nissan 4 stroke this past summer. I think he's
foolish, but he's still alive.

Greg

The best reason not to is that it was never made for that
type of water.

Don't confuse the Gulf with the ocean. If someone is simply going a few miles
offshore they are not going to see the pounding waves you see in the ocean
unless there is a storm nearby. In most places in Fla the water will still be
30' deep or so. You can get in a lot more trouble in the great lakes and I
don't see people saying you can't run a pontoon there.
Weather is always a factor on the water, no matter where you run.
Greg

You can get in a lot more trouble in the great lakes and I
don't see people saying you can't run a pontoon there.

You can't run a pontoon there.

Nobody runs pontoon boats on Lake Michigan?