Default Red Line Oil Synthetic Motor Oil

On Fri, 29 Apr 2016 16:44:57 -0400, "Mr. Luddite" wrote:

On 4/29/2016 3:05 PM, Tim wrote:
6:50 AMIts Me
On Friday, April 29, 2016 at 6:50:33 AM UTC-4, Keine Krausescheiße wrote:
Anyone heard of this? The Moto Guzzi forum has several folks buying it, price is right.

It's a high-end line of lubricants, like Royal Purple or Amsoil. Some folks say it's great stuff, others claim it's no better than any other oil. From my understanding, it comes down to the additive package they put in the oil. It's certainly not bad stuff.

Amzoil is easy to find around here as well. The Rural King and Big R stores carry it. my friend has been using Amzoil in his motorcycles and lawnmowers for years. He suggests 20/50W.

I remember when Amsoil was sold by people who signed up to be a
"dealer". It was sorta like being an Amway distributor.

I have a friend who's an Amsoil dealer, and another dealer living a couple blocks down the road.
--

Ban liars, tax cheats, juvenile name-callers, and narcissists...not guns!

wrote:

On 4/29/2016 3:05 PM, Tim wrote:
6:50 AMIts Me
On Friday, April 29, 2016 at 6:50:33 AM UTC-4, Keine Krausescheiße wrote:
Anyone heard of this? The Moto Guzzi forum has several folks buying it, price is right.

It's a high-end line of lubricants, like Royal Purple or Amsoil. Some folks say it's great stuff, others claim it's no better than any other oil. From my understanding, it comes down to the additive package they put in the oil. It's certainly not bad stuff.

Amzoil is easy to find around here as well. The Rural King and Big R stores carry it. my friend has been using Amzoil in his motorcycles and lawnmowers for years. He suggests 20/50W.

I remember when Amsoil was sold by people who signed up to be a
"dealer". It was sorta like being an Amway distributor.

I saw the pitch from an IBM guy. They bring a lawn mower engine with a
lexan cutout in the crank case and they run it without oil for a few
minutes, unloaded. Then he Amzoils it for next time

On Sat, 30 Apr 2016 11:30:45 -0400, Keyser Söze
wrote:

On 4/30/16 10:06 AM, wrote:
On Sat, 30 Apr 2016 07:58:21 -0400, Justan Olphart
wrote:

On 4/29/2016 12:27 PM,
wrote:
On Fri, 29 Apr 2016 11:35:12 -0400, Justan Olphart
wrote:

On 4/29/2016 10:41 AM,
wrote:
On Fri, 29 Apr 2016 06:50:41 -0400, Keine Keyserscheiße
wrote:

Anyone heard of this? The Moto Guzzi forum has several folks buying it, price is right.

I would rather use regular dino oil and change it regularly. The main
claim of synthetics and premium oil is extended change intervals.
The reality is modern engines will outlast the vehicle they are in
most of the time, even if they are ignored.

Its not the oil. Oil doesn't wear out. The additive package wears out
and the oil gets dirty. Theoretically changing filters and adding
supplementary additives should do the trick.

I would rather just get the contaminants out of there.
Additives are just ****ing on the fire

how would you get multiweight oil without additives?

Where I live, why would I want multigrade oil? That is particularly
true in my boat. The range in operating temperature between start up
and running hard will be less than 70 degrees. You still want the
additives to deal with the various contaminants that develop in the
oil but I would not over depend on that.

I'm trying to figure out the "0" in 0-20W oil.

The short answer, nothing you care about in Maryland

It is just an extension of the viscosity scale for colder weather
5W has a Kinematic Viscosity of 3.8 at -35f and 0W has a 3.8 at -40f/c
I suppose you could even have a -5W if the oils get better and that
global warming thing really is a hoax ;-)

Synthetic or regular oil? [email protected] General 3 July 18th 07 08:24 PM
Synthetic Oil in I/O JP General 8 October 13th 05 06:36 PM
Synthetic decking mulroys Cruising 6 January 10th 05 05:09 AM
On-Line Motor Repair Information? Bill Gier General 2 March 12th 04 03:45 PM
Synthetic Oil? Doobie Cruising 22 September 4th 03 10:55 AM