posted to rec.boats.racing

Default Spinnaker Guys: kevlar, spectra, or what?

this messade rendomly whe searching for som plating. Are you gugs still goi,g?

Thsnkd

JV 08780498233

On Tuesday, 5 December 1995 08:00:00 UTC, Dean Daniels wrote:
At practice Saturday we were wondering what type of line to get for new
spinnaker guys. I gather that kevlar lines will have durability trouble
if the lead blocks are small. On the other hand, creep in spectra lines
might be a problem for guys that aren't kept loaded for a long time. Is
there some other material to consider? If it matters, the boat is a 8300
pound Santa Cruz 33 with I dimension of 41 feet and J about 14 feet. We
are going to try to do end-for-end jibes with separate guys and sheets.
I think we'll want 3/8th inch lines for reasonable handling.

To further complicate things, it seems some high tech lines cost a whole
lot less through the discount catalogs, so buying a superior grade of line
by mail might be less expensive than buying the correct grade (not stocked
by the discounter) at the local store.

Dean Daniels
SC 33 Paladin

Differentiate Spectra from Polypro rope Sylvain Fauvel[_4_] General 8 March 23rd 11 03:42 AM
Spectra kevlar canoe Ed General 2 May 8th 05 05:29 PM
Spectra, for luff pennants?? Steve Cruising 21 January 24th 05 07:23 AM
Where can I buy Spectra/Dyneema cloth?.... Urban Sherpa General 8 June 29th 04 04:28 AM
Spectra 150 Deluxe Watermaker bumfuzzle Cruising 4 August 19th 03 03:16 PM