TongSlinger

Default pontoon on the gulf of mexico

I want to take a pontoon onto the gulf of Mexico. Does anybody have a good
reason I shouldn't take a pontoon on the ocean for a day trip.
This is a 21 foot fisher with a 90 HP Mercury outboard, it is also equipped
with depth finder and GPS for navigation.
any input would be appreciated
Thanks
Captain Crunch

TongSlinger

if you notice dim wit I cut the post down. if anyone is so ignorant that the
make issue of the size of the file I sent probably isn't worth my time to
get advise from. it is apparent that you don't have answers worth listening
to. you must not have the knowledge or the brains to give an informed answer
anyway. Calif bill must be short for Calif idiot. I have met people like you
and I must say they mostly are unskilled laborers working as CALIF PRODUCE
PICKERS and use library computers to respond. I didn't mean to interrupt you
from the usual kiddy porn, folks like you spend 18 hours a day trolling
through

Does anyone else have the intelligence to answer the question?
Thanks
TongSlinger

"Calif Bill" wrote in message
hlink.net...
Anybody ignorant enough to post a 760KB in a non-binary group is too
ignorant to have a boat.

"TongSlinger" wrote in message
t...

I want to take a pontoon onto the gulf of Mexico. Does anybody have a

good
reason I shouldn't take a pontoon on the ocean for a day trip.
This is a 21 foot fisher with a 90 HP Mercury outboard, it is also

equipped
with depth finder and GPS for navigation.
any input would be appreciated
Thanks
Captain Crunch

Florida Keyz

First, let me apologize for some of the members of this list.

Their posts speak for themselves.

Yes, you could take a pontoon boat into the gulf, IF,,and this is a big if, you
are very sure of the weather, the structure of the vessel, and have saftey
gear, a vhf, a gps,and a cell phone.

Also, I would not venture to far from others.

I have done it several times.
.JIMinMA.

Peeps have taken lesser craft onto the Gulf and survived. You seem to be a
highly intelligent individual. However, it appears that you lack the
confidence to make this important decision on your own. Tell us a little
about yourself and your boat so that we can give you some informed advice.

"TongSlinger" wrote in message
t...

I want to take a pontoon onto the gulf of Mexico. Does anybody have a good
reason I shouldn't take a pontoon on the ocean for a day trip.
This is a 21 foot fisher with a 90 HP Mercury outboard, it is also

equipped
with depth finder and GPS for navigation.
any input would be appreciated
Thanks
Captain Crunch

LD

I agree with all and will add: I've seen bass boats, jon boats, etc outside
of the Pensacola pass with the right weather. But, even when the wind is
calm to 10 knots and 80% of the waves are 2' or less there will be an
occasional 3-4footer, or larger waves from a large boat's wake, and finally,
due to wind, and tide changes, I've seen 4footers in the pass when
everything else is 1 to 2'.
LD

"Florida Keyz" wrote in message
First, let me apologize for some of the members of this list.

Their posts speak for themselves.

Yes, you could take a pontoon boat into the gulf, IF,,and this is a big

if, you
are very sure of the weather, the structure of the vessel, and have saftey
gear, a vhf, a gps,and a cell phone.

Also, I would not venture to far from others.

I have done it several times.

JDavis1277

TongSlinger???,

I would not take your boat out into the Gulf. First, nasty little storms can
be on you before you know it and your boat is not equipped to handle the
conditions that these storms often create. Second, your boat is slow and so
even if you know bad weather is approaching it's pretty risky to try to out run
it.

The only substitute for a lake boat on the ocean is high speed capability. The
only substitute for high speed capability on the ocean is a seaworthy boat.

One can always find someone with which to fish in the Gulf who has a boat
suited. You can pay back by hosting inshore trips.

Butch
NOYB

I see 'em out there all the time. Just watch the wind forecast. If it's
out of the North or West, and anything over 5-10 knots, stay home. If it's
out of the East, you can usually venture out to about 1/2-1 mile in almost
any wind conditions because the land blocks the waves. I've seen pontoons
out 5-8 miles in the right wind conditions...but almost always in the late
spring when conditions are favorable.

"TongSlinger" wrote in message
t...

I want to take a pontoon onto the gulf of Mexico. Does anybody have a good
reason I shouldn't take a pontoon on the ocean for a day trip.
This is a 21 foot fisher with a 90 HP Mercury outboard, it is also

equipped
with depth finder and GPS for navigation.
any input would be appreciated
Thanks
Captain Crunch

Greg

They run 20' pontoons out to the artificial reefs (~4 miles) all the time
around here and we don't have any huge body count.
Just watch the weather and learn how to read it. Those people who say a storm
"just came up on them" weren't watching the clouds and didn't check the forcast
before they left the dock. The weather radar channel (25 on Comcast in SW Fla)
is a great resource.
Morning trips are generally safer than afternoon trips but YMMV.
Also inspect your boat often, looking for cracks and corrosion at all the
joints where the pontoons connect to the deck. If your boat holds together you
can deal with some pretty rough seas but you will be wet, both from inside and
outside of your pants.
Rod McInnis

"TongSlinger" wrote in message
t...

I want to take a pontoon onto the gulf of Mexico. Does anybody have a good
reason I shouldn't take a pontoon on the ocean for a day trip.

First off, if you haven't been told already, it is not a good idea to post
large binary files in a discussion newsgroup. People with a slow connection
will wait forever to download that image. If nothing else, make a low
resolution copy, a 50K version would have been just as good at the 750 K
version you posted (previous message....)

This is a 21 foot fisher with a 90 HP Mercury outboard, it is also

equipped
with depth finder and GPS for navigation.
any input would be appreciated

My experience with pontoon boats in general is that they do not handle large
waves at all.

Take the case of a typical hull boat going into the waves. Nominally, the
hull is supported by the displaced water about the "water line". When a
wave is encountered, and the boat has to be suddenly lifted, the force to
supply this lift comes from the added buoyancy as the wave encounters the
bow. Look at how much more hull is pressing against the water as a two foot
wave presses into it. A hull has a lot of floatation "reserve".

Now take a pontoon boat. It is floating nicely and a two foot wave comes
along. How much more buoyancy do you get when that wave hits the front of
the boat? Not much! There is very little added lift to get the bow up over
the wave. Without the added lift the bow will just submarine through the
wave.

If the weather is nice and the sea is calm the pontoon boat will do okay.
But if you get caught in a sudden storm you could be in big trouble.

Rod McInnis