Robert A Klopotoski Jr

Default 1985 Evinrude 70 HP Lower Unit Cross-Compatibility

Hi folks,

I have a question that I have been having a hard time getting
answered. I have inherited a 1985 Evinrude 70 hp Outboard motor.
Everything on it seems like it is in great shape, with the exception
of the lower unit. It seems that one of the bearings seized up and in
the process it cracked the lower end on both sides and has made it
unusable. I can't even get the shaft out now it is so seized.

I have been looking on ebay for a replacement, but I'm not sure what
the cross-compatability of the parts is. My original thought is that
any lower end from a 65-75HP that isn't electric shift will fit, but I
have gotten some hints that it may not be the case. Can anyone out
there tell me what other years/hp motors I can replace the lower unit
with?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Jim

I don't know the answers to your questions, but before assuming
this motor is worth repairing, did you get it running as well as
do a compression check on it?

Also, when trying to remove the lower end, did you unbolt the
shaft from under the cowling? If not, the lower unit will not
drop. If you mean you can't get the shaft out of the foot, I
believe it unscrews from the foot. If you already know all of
what I've written, please disregard. :^)

-Jim

Robert A Klopotoski Jr wrote:
Hi folks,

I have a question that I have been having a hard time getting
answered. I have inherited a 1985 Evinrude 70 hp Outboard motor.
Everything on it seems like it is in great shape, with the exception
of the lower unit. It seems that one of the bearings seized up and in
the process it cracked the lower end on both sides and has made it
unusable. I can't even get the shaft out now it is so seized.

I have been looking on ebay for a replacement, but I'm not sure what
the cross-compatability of the parts is. My original thought is that
any lower end from a 65-75HP that isn't electric shift will fit, but I
have gotten some hints that it may not be the case. Can anyone out
there tell me what other years/hp motors I can replace the lower unit
with?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Robert Klopotoski

"Jim" wrote in message
I don't know the answers to your questions, but before assuming
this motor is worth repairing, did you get it running as well as
do a compression check on it?

Also, when trying to remove the lower end, did you unbolt the
shaft from under the cowling? If not, the lower unit will not
drop. If you mean you can't get the shaft out of the foot, I
believe it unscrews from the foot. If you already know all of
what I've written, please disregard. :^)

-Jim

Hi Jim,

I appreciate the response. I have the motor all apart, the lower unit
included. The shaft will not come out of the lower end, as it is frozen at
the top bearing within the lower end. It will not turn, and the sides of
the case are all damaged due to the bushing being spun. The person who gave
me the motor tells me it runs fine and he just had a lower unit problem.
The engine has good compression. It was difficult figuring out how to
disconnect the shift rod, but I did figure it out after a while. I figure
the parts are cheap enough on ebay that if the engine doesnt run after
buying a lower unit, I can always get my money back on the lower unit by
reselling it.

Thanks for the response.

trainfan1

[...]

3 cylinder loopers 1979-1988 for sure, most likely 1978-1995, maybe as
far back as 1973 depending on whether you have the right water pump
copper lines/tubes.

Rob

Rob
Jim

Having good compression is a good thing. :^)

I don't have any suggestions for removing that shaft because if
it's frozen in there now, it may not be usable if you do manage
to get it out. You might even check with a local marine dealer
to see if they have a lower unit laying around that they're
willing to part with at a reasonable price. There are definitely
some deals on Ebay, but sometimes you need to wait patiently for the
item you want to show up. :^)

-Jim

Robert Klopotoski wrote:
Hi Jim,

I appreciate the response. I have the motor all apart, the lower unit
included. The shaft will not come out of the lower end, as it is frozen at
the top bearing within the lower end. It will not turn, and the sides of
the case are all damaged due to the bushing being spun. The person who gave
me the motor tells me it runs fine and he just had a lower unit problem.
The engine has good compression. It was difficult figuring out how to
disconnect the shift rod, but I did figure it out after a while. I figure
the parts are cheap enough on ebay that if the engine doesnt run after
buying a lower unit, I can always get my money back on the lower unit by
reselling it.

Thanks for the response.

Mercruiser lower unit minor problem (I think) Eddie E General 8 April 7th 04 02:13 AM
1982 evinrude 25 lower unit swap and operating temperture qusetion mike General 2 April 1st 04 02:55 AM
johnson lower unit help Tom K General 0 March 4th 04 04:12 AM
Removing lower unit from 40 hp Johnson outboard - Help? Brian Silver General 9 September 29th 03 06:17 PM
Lower end unit questions... Jim General 2 August 20th 03 07:52 AM