Jim Bailey

Default need advice/help with trim

I've recently replaced the side windows in our 66 34' Hatteras. I now have
a lip, approx 1/4 - 3/8" around the inside edge (inside the salon) that I
need to trim out. If it were all straight, some simple "L" shaped wood
molding would be fine but I have a couple of radiuses to deal with - the
photos below should help you envision what I mean- the problem areas a

1. the forward/top portion of the forward side windows (inside salon pic is
probably best to see this)
2. the rearward/top portion of the rearward side window (external pics
probably best to see this)

You can see pretty well in the pic that the old windows had "L" molding
around that inside edge - but what you can't see is that around the radiuses
it is crap - little relief cuts all over to make the bend - split wood, etc.
Just tacky in general.

I'm not sure how to deal with this. Any ideas ? Any source for a molding
that might be flexible enough for this job ?

btw - if you've noticed the radius on the forward/bottom portion on the
forward windows - it's no longer there - I squared that corner off with the
new windows so no longer an issue. I came pretty close to doing that with
the other forward radius too but it really would have affected the lines of
the boat.

http://www.jbaileygroup.com/boating/hat.html

thanks guys.

jim bailey

P.C. Ford

On Fri, 28 Nov 2003 15:24:18 GMT, "Jim Bailey"
wrote:

I've recently replaced the side windows in our 66 34' Hatteras. I now have
a lip, approx 1/4 - 3/8" around the inside edge (inside the salon) that I
need to trim out. If it were all straight, some simple "L" shaped wood
molding would be fine but I have a couple of radiuses to deal with - the
photos below should help you envision what I mean- the problem areas a

I'm not sure how to deal with this. Any ideas ? Any source for a molding
that might be flexible enough for this job ?

You have to cut the corner pieces to fit. First get a chunk of wood
long enough for corner. Should be flat grain. Cut the outer edge to
fit. At this stage you can do several attempts to try and fit. You
might try to get a tracing of corner by tape a piece of paper to
corner region and rubbing with a pencil. In your case you would add
the "leg" of the L. Cut that rabbet with router or shaper. When the
fit is perfect on the outer edge, cut the inner edge. Obviously the
piece is now very fragile; thus the requirement for flat grain.
Radius the corner as required.

These instructions are minimal, I know, but they should be sufficient
to suggest the method.

Nice boat, by the way.

Regards,
pcf

Jim Bailey

Thanks PC. I'd actually thought about that - cutting from a solid piece.
Unfortunately I really don't have the necessary tools around to do it right
now e.g. a router (probably a lot easier on a router table actually)., but
I'll certainly give that some more thought. Also, I had somone else respond
(see the new thread 'Jim's Hatteras'), requesting better pics and I[m goiing
to try to do that tomorrow or Sunday. Maybe you can see it a little better
then, and see the new windows - maybe generate other ideas ?

jim bailey

wrote:

[...]

Rufus

What tools/facilities do you have?

Jim Bailey wrote:

Thanks PC. I'd actually thought about that - cutting from a solid piece.
Unfortunately I really don't have the necessary tools around to do it right

Jim Bailey

Basic power (portable) saws, drills etc. I do still have a delta scroll saw
that I could use to cut the shape - just no way to put the rabbet in it.
Used to have it all - table saw, band saw, planer, radial arm etc. Had two
router tables set up. My wife told me I shouldn't have sold it all - as
usual, she was right.

jim bailey

Jim Bailey wrote:

Thanks PC. I'd actually thought about that - cutting from a solid

piece.
Unfortunately I really don't have the necessary tools around to do it

right

RG

A cheap router and appropriate bits would do the trick, I'd guess. Maybe
you have a friend who'd loan you one, or stop by your local pawn shop and
see what's available on the cheap. richg

Rufus

If your design needs one simple rabbet all around, and you have the
patience, make _two_ trim pieces, the 2nd 1/2 (or whatever) the width
of the first and laminate them together. Result = 1 trim piece with
rabbet. Sand outer edge smooth as needed. If you make the sides
separately with straight stock, you could probably lap joint the corners
this way, also. Single piece of GRP over the lot and it'll stay together
forever; might be tricky getting the cloth to lay tight on the curves,
though.

Rufus

Jim Bailey wrote:
Basic power (portable) saws, drills etc. I do still have a delta scroll saw

Keith

Take a look at CR Laurence's site. They have just about everything for
glazing, and probably have trim as well. http://www.crlaurence.com

. ..

wrote:

[...]

Need a suggestion for the trim wiring on my boat Fish4Fun General 23 May 5th 04 04:59 AM
Trim tabs Larry General 5 October 29th 03 02:55 AM
trim tabs werlax General 12 September 13th 03 03:11 AM
Trimming the drive Joe Parsons General 9 September 9th 03 10:51 AM
Power Trim JTC General 0 July 29th 03 11:41 AM