whenindoubt

Default Newbie 24ft cruiser questions?

Can anyone give me some ballpark prices I'd expect to pay for the following
items?

I'm looking at 2 similar boats at vastly different prices. The cheaper one
lacks bottom paint and factory air/heat. The outdrive is real banged up too.
I think the repairs might cost more than the price difference between the
two boats, but I don't know. I'm a newbie and have not owned a 24ft boat
before.

How much for:
A yard applied bottom paint job? 24ft boat.

A new outdrive unit and prop for a 1996 mercruiser. I think the original is
an alpha one.

An airconditioning/heat system that is like a factory installed job. Not a
portable.

Thanks for the help.

DaveH

My advice would be get a simpler boat your first time out. A used boat of
this type is going to have a LOT of maintenance issues. Forget about the
cheaper one. FYI, I think a new outdrive costs about $5K. Bottom-paint
varies with area and what type of paint, but it's several hundred dollars,
and needs to be done every year if you are in sal****er. Outdrives on boats
left in sal****er are often very troublesome, and expensive to maintain.
Most small boats with airconditioners only operate while at the dock, tied
up to shore power. You're really trying to cram a lot of stuff into small
boat.

[...]

Paul

I would think if the outdrive is really banged up then maybe it's been hit
more than once. Usually if a guy whacks his outdrive he'll get it banged
back into shape ... if he doesn't then I would tend to think he's not a
"maintainer" and this attitude will be all through the boat.

I agree with DaveH, don't buy a project boat first time out unless you want
to spend your time working on it instead of boating. Even a well maintained
used boat will give you plenty of stuff to do and spend your money on.

But as for cost, when you get your survey and mechanical inspection done
(you're getting that done, right?) just ask the yard that does the
mechanical to give you an estimate on the work you have outlined. This is
usually part of the deal making process.

If you want the estimate before doing the inspections just go to the yard
you intend to patronize and ask them for a ballpark ... good way to
introduce yourself and feel them out if you've never been there before.

[...]

whenindoubt

Thanks for the info,
I had pretty much made the same decision on my own. I just needed the
reinforcement. The better boat costs $7500 more but it has ac/heat and a
clean outdrive. All it needs is bottom paint. I was planning on a full
survey before I hand them the money. Now all I have to do is find a slip for
next season.

"Paul" wrote in message
. rogers.com...
[...]

Bob D.

I'll disagree with previous posters. I don't think we have enough
information to give specific advice on which boat is better for you. It
depends on what your willing to do youself in a project boat. I also think
that the boat without bottom paint may be a good thing. It might be
easier to inspect for gel coat crack which *MAY* be the sign of a stressed
hull.

Someone commented that if the outdrive is banged out of shape then that
might indicate the overall care that was given to the vessel, that seems
to be sound advice to take into consideration. Talk to the owner about it
and giage their resonse. See if fall toward "we hit something late in the
season, and havent had it repaired" to "It don't seem to hurt none". You
get the idea.

For a new (if they still make them) Alpha I outdrive, expect to pay $3000
to $4000 dollars for the unit itself. YMMV on installation charges. Have
all the bell housing seals replaced and the engine coupling aligned as
well for about 200-300 dollars more.

I don't know what bottom painting cost as I've always done the work myself.

Good luck in your purchase and let us know how it works out!

Bob Dimond

In article , "whenindoubt"
wrote:

Can anyone give me some ballpark prices I'd expect to pay for the following
items?

I'm looking at 2 similar boats at vastly different prices. The cheaper one
lacks bottom paint and factory air/heat. The outdrive is real banged up too.
I think the repairs might cost more than the price difference between the
two boats, but I don't know. I'm a newbie and have not owned a 24ft boat
before.

How much for:
A yard applied bottom paint job? 24ft boat.

A new outdrive unit and prop for a 1996 mercruiser. I think the original is
an alpha one.

An airconditioning/heat system that is like a factory installed job. Not a
portable.

Thanks for the help.

whenindoubt

Thanks Bob,
I just did the math. Pay $7500 more up front for the better boat, or
$3000-4000 plus labor for the new outdrive and prop. $2000 for ac/heat and
maybe $500 for bottom paint. There is the $7500 difference in price.

wrote:

[...]

Lloyd Sumpter

Me, too. If you buy the more expensive boat, you may STILL have to buy a
new outdrive within a year or so. Used boats (and new boats as well, it
seems...) need work. Even "well-kept" ones. If you do the work yourself
(or have it done by someone you trust), you now know what condition at
least that part of the boat is.

Lloyd Sumpter
"Far Cove" 1983 Catalina 36

wrote:

[...]

whenindoubt

Arrgggg. Now I'm back where I started. You guys make a good point. Less $$$
for the boat, all new parts. I'll at least know the condition they are in.
The outdrive took a serious hit. It had a golfball size chunk taken out of
the leading edge of the skeg and the prop edges all had ragged banged up
edges. Could a hit like that do engine or transom damage or are outdrives
supposed to give on impact. i.e. sacrifice itself for the sake of the boat?

. rogers.com...

2 newbie questions... A.C. General 3 September 6th 03 08:46 AM
Newbie to '76 Mercruiser 3.0L. A few Questions. --== Dave ==-- General 0 July 20th 03 06:51 AM